Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,152

1 members and 1,151 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Kaiju (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,149
Threads: 248,589
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, koala

Threaded View

Thanks

Angry Cat adoption denied for having a Ball Python after taking home the cat. Help!

Last Friday, my girlfriend and I went looking at cats at a local Petsmart. She immediately fell in love with a young siamese cat and we filled out an application that night. The next morning we went in to play with the cat and turned the application in. It was noted on his sheet that he does not like to be around other cats, yet he was in a room full of them without any way to escape the chaos. We noticed how stressed he was being around them, to the point of attacking them if they got too close to us as we were petting him. His cage was also shut and 4ft off the ground. We've noticed how anxious he is just jumping off the bed and won't even jump on the chairs or couch, so we think he's not very comfortable with heights. Anyways, at that point they told us we seemed like a really good fit, they just had several applications for him, so they needed to make calls and they'd get back to us. Within a couple of hours we were told we were approved, so I went to Petsmart, paid for him, and took him home. Since bringing him in, he has been a non-stop purring machine and we've all been bonding terrifically.

Now, today I got a call and they said their volunteer made a mistake and they don't give cats to homes with snakes. The foster mother was "beside herself" when she heard they were in a house with snakes. On the application, I nearly omitted that fact, but decided to be honest in case they made a housecall. I am aware of the prejudice against snakes and it KILLS ME. I wrote that I had 3 ball pythons that were securely enclosed, plain as day on the app. Now they want to remove the cat from the home because it is in a dangerous situation. I tried to explain that my ball pythons couldn't eat the cat, if that's what they're worried about, and that I'm not an irresponsible snake owner as some people can be. (God, we've probably all heard those horror stories that start with "Oh! I had a snake once! It...[proceeds to tell me how their snake died tragically]")

According to the contract:
    1. I agree this cat is being adopted as a family pet. The cat will have extensive house privileges and remain safely inside the home unless arrangements are made in writing prior to adoption. I agree to provide this cat with proper food, water, shelter, love and necessary veterinary treatment. I affirm I will not allow this cat to be maimed by being declawed or suffer from a tendonectomy surgery.

2. This cat has been examined by a veterinarian chosen by [the Agency] and has received a rabies and FVRCP vaccinations as age appropriate. I understand [the Agency] is not making any representations or warranties regarding the cat's health, physical condition, or age. I understand that veterinary problems may arise with this cat, including zoonotic diseases and/or serious illnesses requiring emergency care or surgery, that those problems are my responsibility, and that I will bear all related costs and provide proper veterinary care to the cat in a timely manner.

3. I understand I am entitled to one free veterinary exam at a cooperating veterinarian. If I choose to have other services performed such as vaccinations, I understand I am responsible for that cost.

4. I agree that [the Agency] may make a visit at a mutually convenient time to ascertain that all the conditions herein are being satisfied. If [the Agency] contacts me to inquire about the cat, I agree to make a good faith effort to return the call as soon as possible.

5. If I change my address or telephone number, I will update the microchip registration information either online or by phone within 3 weeks of the change at no charge. Refer to microchip form.

6. If I can no longer keep this cat, I will notify [the Agency] immediately and work with them to place the cat in an approved home. Under no circumstances will I give the cat to a third party or take the cat to an animal shelter.

7. I understand [the Agency] may reclaim ownership of the cat if any of these conditions are not being met. I agree to fully cooperate and willingly surrender the cat to [the Agency] if that is what is necessary for the health of the cat. I understand I will be liable for expenses [the Agency] may incur by enforcing this contract.

8. I understand [the Agency] is not making any representations or warranties about the cat's temperament or behavior. I acknowledge and agree that [the Agency] is not responsible for any injury, damage, or harm caused by this cat and I hereby release [the Agency] from any injury, damage, harm, expense or liability I incur relating to this cat. I also agree to indemnify [the Agency] from any and all such claims and to pay, without limitation, any costs related to such injury, damage, or liability, including, in the case of litigation, any attorney fees incurred by [the Agency] in its defense.

9. I understand the adoption fee is nonrefundable.

I have discussed this contract with an agency volunteer and I understand its provisions (I DID NOT INITIAL OR SIGN THIS STATEMENT, since we did not have that discussion)

This document is intended to be a complete statement of understanding between you, the adopter, and [the Agency]. It may not be modified except in writing and signed by both parties. By signing this contract, you agree that all the above information is true. Any false information/omissions may result in [the Agency] reclaiming the cat. If the cat escapes and you need help finding/reuiniting them, we have info and people to help. Contact us pronto. [

The Agency] reserves the right to refuse approval of an adoption to anyone, at any time. I am prepared to make a lifetime commitment of care to this cat.

Signed : Yours truly.

So essentially my question is, what can be done? She called us back and said she's been researching ball pythons for the last hour, but the board still says no. I feel this is terribly injust and the cat is at no greater risk of harm than being in a home with a dog or children. I'm sure we're all concerned mostly for the safety of the cat, and I can't say he'd be better off back in the petstore/rescue shelter. Any suggestions or legal advice? Has anyone else gone through this before? I know we just got him, but this isn't fair to the cat nor to us. He doesn't deserve to be tossed around from home to home at such a young impressionable age when we are providing him great care as it is. I'm also tired of the ignorance and prejudice against snakes (especially those as mild as ball pythons). I've mentioned working out a deal with them to do a welfare check to ensure the cat's safety for all parties involved, and she finally got back to me just now and said they might be willing to make that happen. We're so afraid to lose him.

Thank you, also, for taking the time to read this and any proved support. <3 <3 <3

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SylvesterVoltaire For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (02-26-2018)