Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,407

3 members and 3,404 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Another noob coming out of his hide.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNDC View Post
    He took the 2nd one immediately. Wow, so fascinating to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Greetings from our crew!

We're a kid-induced herp house as well. Though, after we brought Evie home for Paisley, I slipped and fell and rescued a couple of snakes myself. Now my poor husband is all adorable and confused and wondering how we went from zero snakes to three...

This forum is absolutely invaluable in terms of advice. But it's also become another little addiction. Wake up, check Twitter, BP.net, Pinterest.... yes, it out-placed Pinterest.

One quick piece of advise I have as a new snake parent, and also as a vet tech- find your herp vet now. You're gonna wanna know who that is before it actually becomes a need at 4:55 on a Sunday afternoon...

Anyway, congratulations on the gorgeous new addition! Can't wait for updates!

(Anathema says "Ssssssssssssup?")

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinyhounds For This Useful Post:

DavidNDC (11-10-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tinyhounds View Post
    Greetings from our crew!

We're a kid-induced herp house as well. Though, after we brought Evie home for Paisley, I slipped and fell and rescued a couple of snakes myself. Now my poor husband is all adorable and confused and wondering how we went from zero snakes to three...

This forum is absolutely invaluable in terms of advice. But it's also become another little addiction. Wake up, check Twitter, BP.net, Pinterest.... yes, it out-placed Pinterest.

One quick piece of advise I have as a new snake parent, and also as a vet tech- find your herp vet now. You're gonna wanna know who that is before it actually becomes a need at 4:55 on a Sunday afternoon...

Anyway, congratulations on the gorgeous new addition! Can't wait for updates!

(Anathema says "Ssssssssssssup?")

Thank you for the welcome and the great advice! Thankfully our vet has an exotics & reptile center and I was surprised to learn that they offer reptile boarding too in the event that becomes necessary. I was planning on taking him in for a wellness checkup once he get's settled in. It's funny that you mention your expanding collection as my son has already asked "So dad, once the new cage comes what are we going to do with this tank he's in now and all the gear you bought for it?" I can see the little gears spinning in his head, plotting.

After his feeding the other night, Leo's been spending a lot of time in his sauna/warm hide. I've setup a camera with IR LEDs for night vision so we can get alerts when he is out and about and see what he's up to in the middle of the night. Seems like right around 3:00am is when he likes to venture out and do a bit of exploring.

Last edited by DavidNDC; 11-10-2017 at 11:52 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidNDC For This Useful Post:

SDA (11-10-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    I have to say this is my new favorite thread. I love when people give their pets as much love as they can. Makes me all kinds of happy
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

DavidNDC (11-10-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNDC View Post
    Thank you for the welcome and the great advice! Thankfully our vet has an exotics & reptile center and I was surprised to learn that they offer reptile boarding too in the event that becomes necessary. I was planning on taking him in for a wellness checkup once he get's settled in. It's funny that you mention your expending collection as my son has already asked "So dad, once the new cage comes what are we going to do with this tank he's in now and all the gear you bought for it?" I can see the little gears spinning in his head, plotting.

After his feeding the other night, Leo's been spending a lot of time in his sauna/warm hide. I've setup a camera with IR LEDs for night vision so we can get alerts when he is out and about and see what he's up to in the middle of the night. Seems like right around 3:00am is when he likes to venture out and do a bit of exploring.

Bravo to your son!! I like the way he thinks!!! We moved Anathema into a 40 gallon tank recently, and then I'm sitting there staring at the 20L. My husband is like, "Now honey; just because we have an empty tank now, it doesn't mean we have to fill it..."

And I just looked at him, confused, "But it's like I have a big, empty, 20 gallon hole in my soul....."

I'm pretty sure he hurt himself rolling his eyes that hard. Never the less, I wore him down. We are going to be adding a male to our collection when the wedding expo comes to town in July....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinyhounds For This Useful Post:

DavidNDC (11-10-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

me @ myself:
    "Now honey; just because we have an empty tank now, it doesn't mean we have to fill it..."
    also me:
    "But it's like I have a big, empty, 20 gallon hole in my soul....."
    literally, every time.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 11-10-2017 at 11:56 AM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

I'm pretty sure he hurt himself rolling his eyes that hard. Never the less, I wore him down. We are going to be adding a male to our collection when the wedding expo comes to town in July....

Super curious about why my phone auto corrected "reptile" to "wedding"... totally NOT a Freudian slip... I swear... ::shifty eyes::

Thanks
    Here are a few shots of Leo's current bachelor pad. As mentioned previously, this 10 Gallon tank is being used while we await his fancy Animal Plastics condo.

L29C1984 by David, on Flickr

L29C1986 by David, on Flickr

L29C1988 by David, on Flickr

Ambient temps in the room are 72-75f, I'm providing supplemental heat with an UTH set to 92f positioned on the right hand side, the thermostat probe is sandwiched between the heating element and the glass, along with a 120watt CHE above on a dimmer with the thermostat probe running to the cold side set to 80f. I'm maintaining humidity with foil covering 3/4 of the top screen and daily misting sprays of water. Using Cypress for substrate, several pieces of cork bark and the plastic stump hide along with some silk & plastic plants. The background is just an image I grabbed off Google Images and printed on my inkjet printer.

He seems to be happy with his setup and I can remove or breakup some of the bark as he grows a bit more confident and doesn't require as much clutter.

I plan to hot glue those thermostat probes and the acu-rite thermometer this weekend now that I'm satisfied with their placement. Also sketching something up in Fusion 360 to print out on the 3D Printer to house a tiny IP camera for inside the tank so I don't have all the glares from shooting through the glass.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidNDC For This Useful Post:

Starscream (11-10-2017)

Thanks
    Someone came out to say hi!

L29C2001 by David, on Flickr

L29C1990 by David, on Flickr

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidNDC For This Useful Post:

SDA (11-10-2017),Starscream (11-10-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

The viv looks absolutely amazing !
    Possibly the nicest I've ever seen !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

DavidNDC (11-10-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Can I hire you to take decent pictures of my snake? You are amazing in your photography.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

18. The Following User Says Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

DavidNDC (11-10-2017)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast