Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,484

1 members and 3,483 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

Thread: My first bp

Thanks

My first bp

OKAY SO I BOUGHT MY FIRST B4 ON 2/25. THE WOMAN IN THE PET STORE GUESS MY BP WAS AROUND 6 MONTHS OLD BUT SHE WAS NOT FOR SURE. I GUESS I’M WORRIED BECAUSE FOR THAT AGE MINES SEEMS KIND OF SMALL. SHE WAS EATING FINE AT THE PET STORE. ONE WEEK AFTER I GOT HIM/HER SHE ATE 1 PINKY WITH NO ISSUES. HE/SHE STARTED SHEDDING AND DID NOT EAT FOR THREE WEEKS. BUT SINCE THEN I HAVE FED HER ONE PINKY AND UPGRADED TO FUZZY ABOUT FIVE DAYS LATER BECAUSE HE/SHE ATE IS SO QUICKLY. I HAD ISSUES WITH SHEDDING BECAUSE I DID NOT HAVE THE HYDROMETER SO I’M NOT SURE WHAT THE HUMIDITY WAS WHEN HE’SHE FIRST STARTED SHEDDING, BUT I HAVE THAT UNDER CONTROL NOW. HUMIDITY STAYS AROUND 60 AND 85-90 DEGREES ON THE WARM SIDE, 78-82 ON THE COLD SIDE. I MAY BE WORRIED JUST BECAUSE THIS IS MY FIRST ONE, BUT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IS MINE AN OKAY SIZE OR WAS HE/SHE BEING UNDER FED? ALSO THEY SOLD IT TO ME AT A NORMAL PRICE BUT ON THE PAPERWORK IT SAYS PASTEL...

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mariahbutler4 For This Useful Post:

rock (03-29-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: My first bp

WELCOKE TO THE FORUM!!! BLOCKS OF ALL-CAPS ARE VERY HARD TO READ!
    lol, sorry but it was difficult to retain the info. seriously, welcome! here it goes:
    we can't tell size from photos; how much does the snake weigh?
    at ~6 mo. of age your snake should be eating rat pups or weaned rats; pinky mice are way too small. for youngin's you should be feeding a prey item that's 10-15% of the snake's weight.
    those analog/dial gauges are practically worthless in their accuracy; invest in an AcuRite digital thermometer/hygrometer from walmart.
    what is your heat source? how are you controlling your heat source? ALL sources of heat MUST be regulated by a thermoSTAT.
    those half-log hides are not the best for giving your beep the security it needs. a cave-like hide with one entry/exit is preferred.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 03-29-2017 at 09:22 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Kira (03-29-2017)

Thanks

Thank you...and sorry for the caps lol . i use the light and heating pad that came with the zoo med terrarium. Unfortunately they told me that everything i would need came with the tank and i found out the hard way. I'm noy sure about the exact weight but i will guess somewhere around 110 grams. Im going to grab a scale this weekend.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mariahbutler4 View Post
    Thank you...and sorry for the caps lol . i use the light and heating pad that came with the zoo med terrarium. Unfortunately they told me that everything i would need came with the tank and i found out the hard way...... I'm not sure about the exact weight but i will guess somewhere around 110 grams. Im going to grab a scale this weekend.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mariahbutler4 View Post
    Thank you...and sorry for the caps lol . i use the light and heating pad that came with the zoo med terrarium. Unfortunately they told me that everything i would need came with the tank and i found out the hard way. I'm noy sure about the exact weight but i will guess somewhere around 110 grams. Im going to grab a scale this weekend.

pet stores are not the best place for advice when it comes to reptiles. almost all instructions that come with UTH (under tank heater) pads state they must be regulated as they can reach 140 degrees easily and quickly and kill your snake. you NEED a thermostat or lamp dimmer to regulate the UTH. PRETTY PLEASE unplug the UTH immediately and, if you have an amazon prime account, buy a Jumpstart thermostat or head to Lowe's or other home improvement store and pick up a $15 lamp dimmer. while you're out, head to walmart for the AcuRite digital thermometer/hygrometer. your snake will be okay for a few days without belly heat if your other temps are correct.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 03-30-2017 at 10:23 AM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎