Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,267

1 members and 3,266 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's not about assisting it's about getting them back on track and this is what needs to be done to a T https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-hatchling-101
    Deborah Stewart

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (04-19-2019),tttaylorrr (04-24-2019)

Registered User traveling_classicist's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Please Help, Me and My Baby Ball are Desperate

So I'm looking into these thermostats and thermometers and I just had a question about the set up that pretends2bnormal posted. Do I need to get a probed thermometer as well? That may seem like a silly question but I've been using one of those laser thermometers to measure the temps of the tank in general.

The thermostat is just for the heat pad, right? Sorry if that's silly, I just want to make sure.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    Yes the thermostat is just for the heat pad.

I like the IR point thermometers or temperature guns so I can take readings all over the enclosure, but the probed ones are good for when I walk by the enclosure it's ingrained now to glance at the thermometer and ensure that the hot spot temp is ok.

Thanks

Company policy is to ALWAYS give the customer the feed and shed log.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lusiphera For This Useful Post:

traveling_classicist (04-23-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lusiphera View Post
    Company policy is to ALWAYS give the customer the feed and shed log.

Sorry to chime in with something seemingly random but that stuck out to me because it’s just untrue. And I’m just plus 1ing what everyone has said about thermostats. I’m going to pick up a rescue in the morning with severe burns and it’s devastating. She’s a beautiful girl, please keep us updated.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lusiphera For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-23-2019),TechnoCheese (04-23-2019),traveling_classicist (04-23-2019)

Registered User traveling_classicist's Avatar
    Thanks

GUYS, PYTHIA ATE TODAY ALL BY HERSELF!!! SHE EVEN KILLED HER OWN FOOD!! I'M SO PROUD OF MY GIRL!

She ate it ass first like a newb but she still ate. I watched very carefully. The store gave me a small hopper because all their fuzzies were kind of tiny and because its eyes were open, I was making sure it wasn't going to hurt my baby. It took a little while for her to come around to it but she grabbed it. There wasn't really a strike. She more moved around to its hind end and bit down and quickly wrapped around it but I think she got a pretty good hold on it. She then proceeded to yank it tail first off the cardboard I laid down but I tried. I didn't see much substrate stuck to it though.

I really appreciate everyone's advice because we would not be here if not for your help and encouragement.

Lusiphera: thank you for your reply. It didn't sit right with me either. I tried and tried to get it but the care manager said that because it had Petco's logo on it, she wasn't allowed to give it to me. I even asked to take a photo of it and she refused. So I just tried to memorize the highlights from it while she let me look it over. She was a real pain in the ass. She was the one who said it was normal for her to be off feed for that long. She also thought she wasn't that skinny and told me to wait 2 WEEKS to feed her after I got her. I later complained to my Petco's regional office about her and the other employees care of the animals there. I don't know if they did anything but I couldn't just let that slide.

I am working on getting a thermostat asap. I have to save up a little but luckily my next paycheck is around the corner so we should have one here soon.

10. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to traveling_classicist For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

aurum (04-23-2019),Bogertophis (04-23-2019),CNorris (05-26-2019),dr del (04-28-2019),gunkle (04-23-2019),JodanOrNoDan (04-24-2019),Lusiphera (04-24-2019),sur3fir3 (04-24-2019),Timelugia (04-24-2019),Toad37 (04-23-2019),tttaylorrr (04-24-2019)

Thanks

That's great to hear!!! Congratulations!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Toad37 For This Useful Post:

traveling_classicist (04-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    Great news! You & especially Pythia did great!

BTW, sometimes large fuzzies with eyes closed can quickly turn into hoppers with eyes open (like, by the time you feed). You made the right call...it wasn't a big risk.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

traveling_classicist (04-24-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by traveling_classicist View Post
    GUYS, PYTHIA ATE TODAY ALL BY HERSELF!!! SHE EVEN KILLED HER OWN FOOD!! I'M SO PROUD OF MY GIRL!

She ate it ass first like a newb but she still ate. I watched very carefully. The store gave me a small hopper because all their fuzzies were kind of tiny and because its eyes were open, I was making sure it wasn't going to hurt my baby. It took a little while for her to come around to it but she grabbed it. There wasn't really a strike. She more moved around to its hind end and bit down and quickly wrapped around it but I think she got a pretty good hold on it. She then proceeded to yank it tail first off the cardboard I laid down but I tried. I didn't see much substrate stuck to it though.

I really appreciate everyone's advice because we would not be here if not for your help and encouragement.

Lusiphera: thank you for your reply. It didn't sit right with me either. I tried and tried to get it but the care manager said that because it had Petco's logo on it, she wasn't allowed to give it to me. I even asked to take a photo of it and she refused. So I just tried to memorize the highlights from it while she let me look it over. She was a real pain in the ass. She was the one who said it was normal for her to be off feed for that long. She also thought she wasn't that skinny and told me to wait 2 WEEKS to feed her after I got her. I later complained to my Petco's regional office about her and the other employees care of the animals there. I don't know if they did anything but I couldn't just let that slide.

I am working on getting a thermostat asap. I have to save up a little but luckily my next paycheck is around the corner so we should have one here soon.
    That’s fantastic! There’s nothing like getting a rescue to eat!

I couldn’t believe that when I read it. Cfi3

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    so i read through your whole thread, and i just wanna say welcome! i'd like to think we're an approachable bunch.

honestly it's, like, a personal policy of mine to not chastise anyone for purchasing an animal from a petstore. at that point what's done is done; there's nothing we can do besides try and spread information.

and it's the problems you're dealing with right now that make people so passionate about the topic. but i'm glad she finally ate for you!!! progress is progress.

i just wanna parrot some of the points i agreed with above:

• no more assist feeding. no no no. you do not assist feed an animal that knows how to eat.
    • get a Jumpstart thermostat ASAP. yes it's cheap but it's better than running a heat mat unregulated; you're figuratively playing with fire. keep saving for a better one.
    • stop using your hands on the feeders; use plastic baggies to keep the smell in as much as possible.
    • i also recommend more clutter in the enclosure.
    • lower hot-spot temps are more appropriate for a baby beep; i try to keep young ones at 88° F max.
    • try not to be so averse to live prey: these animals are built to be perfect dispatchers of their prey almost from the get-go. their strength and speed is truly incredible, even as babies!
    • i can absolutely see improvement in how the snake looks. remember that she's making progress so try not to worry and stress so much.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-24-2019),gunkle (04-24-2019),hilabeans (05-15-2019),JodanOrNoDan (04-24-2019),Sonny1318 (04-24-2019)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast