Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,789

2 members and 2,787 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Snakes Attack! Snakes Striking Prey (F/T) Video

I fed my two Boas and my two corn snakes tonight. My BP is on her winter fast, and not really an impressive eater as she rarely strikes and usually just pulls the rat into her house and eats. My carpet python, Yafe, got sick in transit and is doing pretty well, but has only had one meal so far, and don't really know what his food response is going to be like long-term. However, I know the other four snakes I have are all aggressive feeders. They are a 2 1/2 year old Ghost BCI, Behira, who is 1,200G and eating medium rats every three weeks, a 1 year and 3 month old Venezuelan True Red Tail/"Dwarf" BCC, Feliz, who is 135G and eating hopper mice, Figment, a hypo-lavender adult corn snake who is 650G and eating adult mice weekly (with a week skipped here and there), and Solana, a scaleless sunglow motley red-factor corn who is 7-months old and 44g and eating large fuzzy mice.

I thought I would start a thread for people to post videos of different species striking and coiling, or whatever they do, attacking their prey. Figment was pretty chill for him tonight as he usually wraps and coils as he drags the mouse all the way across the tank, often several times. However, still fun to watch corn snakes, and colubrids in general, go after prey. They do not take long to hone in on the prey, and don't waste time after that striking and coiling.

Might be fun to see the differences between different species or even between different snakes in different species, if there is much.

I specified in the thread title, F/T, and ask that people stick with that for two reasons. One, there are many people who don't mind seeing a snake go after a F/T prey item, but would rather not see them strike a live prey item. I figure we get more interest sticking to F/T here. Secondly, it's an apples to apples comparison then.

If you feel you must post a live feeding video here, which again, I respectfully ask that you not (you are welcome to start your own thread for that), please make a note that you are posting that and put a link and not insert the video directly. Thank you.

So, without further ado, here's my video.

Dakski's Snakes Striking Video: https://streamable.com/xh0qy

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-03-2018),EL-Ziggy (12-04-2018),MR Snakes (12-03-2018),richardhind1972 (12-03-2018),vivi (05-18-2020)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Re: Snakes Attack! Snakes Striking Prey (F/T) Video

Little solana sure enjoys her lunch,great little video

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

dakski (12-03-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    Little solana sure enjoys her lunch,great little video

Yeah, right? The funny thing is, that's the first time she's coiled! She usually grabs and starts eating. Our baby Solana is learning how to snake/corn snake!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (12-03-2018)

Thanks
    Wow, great video. What type of enclosures are those?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MR Snakes View Post
    Wow, great video. What type of enclosures are those?
    Thank you!

They are Boaphile Plastics tanks and made by Jeff Ronne, the Boaphile. He's a long time and big time Boa breeder and has been making these tanks for years.

He's a great guy and I love the tanks. People say they are expensive, but I say they are worth every penny. They come fully assembled (if 4 feet or under, if bigger, you have to bolt together) and sealed water tight for life, his customer service is great, and I expect a tank within 8 weeks to my door. He sells and installs all the heating elements and lighting himself and sends thermostats if you want, including redundant units, all of which he uses himself for his personal collection and breeding facility. I cannot speak higher about his products.

Additionally, there are two people in the world that I know and speak to about Boas, who basically, regardless of what I think, if they say X, I say, "Okay, I'll do X." They are Jeff Ronne and Vin Russo. Period.

The only other reptile person I hold in as a high a regard is Don Soderberg, from South Mountain Reptiles, who's been breeding corn snakes as long or longer than Jeff has been breeding Boas. He's gospel on Corns and many colubrids in general. Same goes for him and them, and he will tell you if he doesn't know something or he's not sure.

Anyway, review on the Boaphile Plastics tanks below as well as some extra pictures in the thread on my reptile area (which houses or will house 10/12 reptiles - Ezzy and Ferry, the Rhacodactylus live in Katie's office and my office, respectively).

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...24#post2660024

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ea-is-Complete

Feel free to post or PM with any additional questions. I swear by these tanks especially since Jeff switched to a new material several years ago. It seems many of the old complaints have gone away.
    Last edited by dakski; 12-03-2018 at 08:52 AM.

Thanks

Finally got video of Yafe, the yearling albino Carpet Python, grabbing some dinner.

Enjoy.

https://streamable.com/jx30j

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-12-2018),richardhind1972 (12-12-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Great little video Dave,so glad he's eating again,should soon be a big boy for you

12. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

dakski (12-12-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I would see if you can reposition those perches for one to be higher and go from the back to the side and then one from the ground to the back, so he has the option to stay off the ground a little more comfortably if he chooses. Just an idea!

Nice collection you have there! They all seem to be great eaters!
    Too Many...

That's what my wife says

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PiperPython View Post
    I would see if you can reposition those perches for one to be higher and go from the back to the side and then one from the ground to the back, so he has the option to stay off the ground a little more comfortably if he chooses. Just an idea!

Nice collection you have there! They all seem to be great eaters!
    PiperPython,

I wish I could reposition the perches, but the tank size and front opening doors will not allow it. He still seems to like them and it's only his quarantine tank. His 4X2X1.5' Boaphile with 2 horizontal PVC perches, at different depths and heights (and therefore temps zones) comes soon. That will be life home and I think he will be very happy.

Yes, all awesome eaters, except for Shayna (BP), not in the video. She usually just takes the rat, if she eats, and drags it into her house and eats quietly. She strikes about once a year, and I cannot predict it, so it usually scares me half to death.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (12-12-2018)

Thanks

I decided to update this thread. I went 6/6 tonight with everyone eating. Of course, I forgot to zoom out and didn't get Figment (Corn) striking.

I did get 4/5 striking. Shayna, the BP, didn't strike and grabbed later and ate.

Behira (BI) struck the acrylic in anticipation, so that's still 5 strikes!

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (07-22-2019),Reinz (07-22-2019),richardhind1972 (07-22-2019),vivi (05-18-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast