Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,876

1 members and 2,875 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Re: Yafe - Albino Carpet Progression Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    When I looked up Ceftazidime, one of the side effects listed is nausea; are you sure it's a good idea to feed him while on this drug? (did the vet say one way or the other?) If you do feed him, I'd keep it much smaller than what you'd normally give.

I've had to give Ceftazidime aka Fortaz to Harley and Rosey and neither would eat while on it. First and only time Rosey ever declined a meal. So i wouldnt be surprised if Yafe doesnt want to eat. Pretty much any antibiotic is rough for reptiles. Also Fortaz gave Rosey the runs for a few poops.

You can try to offer food but if not interested, i wouldnt bug him with it.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-10-2018),dakski (10-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts
    You might also want to add Bene-Bac* (pro-biotics) to the rodent after any course of antibiotics too, since (just as in humans), the antibiotics will wipe out the
    good bacteria essential for digestion right along with the bad bacteria it's supposed to fight off. *Be sure to get the reptile-version, & fyi, when I've used it I
    usually fill the oral cavity of the prey item with the powder or gel, & the snake won't know the difference. If you try to make it stick to the fur, it mostly falls
    off & the snake may not take the prey since it smells different.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

I have great news!

Yafe continues to look good today and I heard from the Vet.

The bacteria causing his RI is Bordetella. It is highly susceptible to the current antibiotic and I am to continue treatment as planned. The prognosis is excellent.

She also said I can offer food next week, and that nausea doesn't affect all animals on it, but not to be surprised if he doesn't eat. If he refuses, I will try 1 week after we finish the injections. I also asked about a probiotic and am waiting to hear back.

I'll continue to keep everyone in the loop.

We are exceptionally relieved with his progress and the right call on the antibiotic.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-10-2018),ckuhn003 (10-10-2018),EL-Ziggy (10-10-2018),jmcrook (10-10-2018)

Thanks
    Great news! No wonder he's improving so fast. I didn't know that snakes can get "kennel cough" though? Very interesting...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Great news! No wonder he's improving so fast. I didn't know that snakes can get "kennel cough" though? Very interesting...
    The 30 hour travel time did it. Way too long. Still incredibly glad I was able to pick him up at the airport at 30 hours and not 42 hours! That could have been disastrous.

I’ve been keeping Don Soderberg in the loop. We have become friendly and he’s a great resource. I emailed him today with the diagnosis and an update. He said, “Fa
    bulous news. Nobody could debate that your actions clearly saved its life. Congratulations.”

I have no doubt I probably did save his life and and he will have a great life with me and Katie. I have zero regrets. Vet was necessarily.

I will continue to update.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

WOW Dakski... I must have missed that post of you introducing Yafe... He is gorgeous and I am jealous!
    I am glad though he got treatment and is on the road to recovery. You and Katie are starting to get quite
    the collection. You should have a open house and invite all of us over!
    Last edited by Jus1More; 10-10-2018 at 07:28 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jus1More For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    The 30 hour travel time did it. Way too long. Still incredibly glad I was able to pick him up at the airport at 30 hours and not 42 hours! That could have been disastrous.

I’ve been keeping Don Soderberg in the loop. We have become friendly and he’s a great resource. I emailed him today with the diagnosis and an update. He said, “Fa
    bulous news. Nobody could debate that your actions clearly saved its life. Congratulations.”

I have no doubt I probably did save his life and and he will have a great life with me and Katie. I have zero regrets. Vet was necessarily.

I will continue to update.

I honestly dont think it was the 30 hour trip. It might have gotten cold but unless the snake already had the bacteria, it wouldnt just 'pop up'. Alex was stuck in transit from Tuesday morning until Thursday morning and he is fine (knock on wood). And he is a tiny 3 month old baby that is thick as a pencil on his best day lol. But regardless, good that the RI us getting beaten.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 10-10-2018 at 09:53 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-10-2018),dakski (10-10-2018),jmcrook (10-11-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    I honestly dont think it was the 30 hour trip. It might have gotten cold but unless the snake already had the bacteria, it wouldnt just 'pop up'. Alex was stuck in transit from Tuesday morning until Thursday morning and he is fine (knock on wood). And he is a tiny 3 month old baby that is thick as a pencil on his best day lol. But regardless, good that the RI us getting beaten.
    Same thoughts. Phyllis went through an entire extra day of travel when she was three weeks old and it was 40* at her destination and suffered no RI. Either way, good on you Dakski for being very proactive about the ordeal and getting treatment right away. Hope the best for you and the new critter. Keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-11-2018)

Thanks

Yafe got his 3rd injection tonight.

As with the past two injections, I held Yafe down, with his head covered in a towel (one layer over the other - not smothering him) so he didn't see what we were doing, and Katie administered the injection. Everyone is getting this down pretty well. Yafe's calmer, Katie is calmer, and overall, I think we can handle another 7 injections.

He still has a few pops when he exerts himself, but not nearly as bad as they were. There was no wheezing, and nothing coming out of his nostrils. He did have a little mucus, wet, not dry, on his mouth in the front. I also noticed that the warm corner he's been curled up in, and the top ledge above the doors, where he's been hanging around, had some smeared mucus. I cleaned that with F10SC.

I am optimistic given the improvement, and although I had hoped for more improvement from injection 2 to injection 3, I don't think that's reasonable to expect. This is day 6 and he has a 30 day course of antibiotics. Overall, big improvement, and I will continue to be hopefull. I am fully aware sick snakes don't get better overnight.

On the plus size, he's continuing to flick his tongue and make "happy tongue" movements, and he doesn't seem nearly as stressed or strained. He's actually a pretty chill, although curious, little guy. He went right back after the injection and a little while later, I checked on him, and sat down to write this, and he's being a carpet python. See below. Much better than him curled up in a warm corner with his head stretched out halfway up the tank trying to breathe.

Here are the pictures of Yafe tonight, doing the Carpet Python thing. It's about 91F on his UTH and about 88F where he is on the branches. It goes up to 90F if he climbs up a few inches.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by dakski; 10-11-2018 at 10:45 PM.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (10-11-2018),richardhind1972 (10-12-2018),Sauzo (10-11-2018)

Thanks
    He's doing as well as you can expect at this point...30 days feels like an eternity, but at least he's comfortable & acting pretty normal now...just think how long
    it would feel if he was miserably ill the whole time?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-11-2018)

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast