Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,394

1 members and 1,393 guests
Most users ever online was 54,199, 06-29-2026 at 02:43 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 76,136
Threads: 249,275
Posts: 2,573,134
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DiscoLem
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11
    Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-21-2010
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    12,050
    Thanks
    6,313
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Images: 3

  2. #12
    BPnet Senior Member L.West's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-11-2008
    Location
    Deerfield, MI
    Posts
    1,941
    Thanks
    1,125
    Thanked 452 Times in 339 Posts
    Images: 5

    Re: best cheap thermostat and one other question

    Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    I second this suggestion. I currently use Helix (purchase from RBI) but would like to get one of their new models they are offering.
    L. West
    1.0 CORAL ALBINO BOA (OWEN)
    1.0 PANAMANIAN HYPO BOA (SAWYER)
    1.0 DUMERIL'S BOA (GRAYSON)
    1.0 ALBINO HONDURAN (RIVER)
    0.1 TANGERINE HONDURAN (FAITH)
    1.0 ALBINO TESSERA CORN SNAKE (RILEY)

  3. #13
    Registered User snake lab's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-10-2011
    Location
    chancellor battlefield virginia
    Posts
    1,244
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 442 Times in 317 Posts
    Helix, spider, johnsons controls, ranco , viv. All good i listed them in order of what i think ate best to worst of that category but all good
    [IMG][/IMG]

  4. #14
    Anti-Thread Necro Patrol
    Join Date
    05-10-2007
    Location
    Columbus, Georgia, United States
    Posts
    4,561
    Thanks
    334
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 739 Posts
    Images: 51
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: best cheap thermostat and one other question

    Quote Originally Posted by interloc View Post
    The prob with the hydrofarm and and on/off style is flex watt gains and looses heat faster than the probe does. So you end up with fluctuations in the temp. I have a hydrofarm and it works awesome but I will def be investing in one of the new herpstats in the comming weeks. Good as a backup or temporary one but that's all I would recommend it for.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Johnson Controls is like this also. But it doesn't bother the snakes if the high fluctuates 2-3 degrees. it doesn't have to be sitting a 90 at all times. If it's anywhere from 88-92 the snakes are happy so I am happy.

    IMO, you would only really need a proportional for an incubator.
    Last edited by MasonC2K; 02-22-2012 at 01:09 PM.
    - Mason

  5. #15
    BPnet Veteran LLLReptile's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-12-2012
    Location
    North County San Diego
    Posts
    964
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked 302 Times in 208 Posts
    Within the stores and among the staff, we have tried pretty much all of the brands we carry. Helix is one of the best, but for an inexpensive thermostat for those using heat pads or heat cable, the Zilla brand thermostats are pretty decent. We use them in a few of the stores to regulate the temperatures for our colubrid and arachnid cases, and I personally use them at home to regulate my heat cable. For our rack units in the stores, we utilize Helix thermostats.

    For the average person at home with a handful of animals, the Zilla thermostats should meet your needs without putting too much of a dent in your pocketbook.

    -Jen
    LLLReptile and Supply Company, Inc -- Your one stop herp shops online, and retail stores in Southern California!
    Check us out on facebook - www.facebook.com/LLLReptile
    For questions about products or animals, or customer service questions, please call our toll free number at 888-547-3784.
    Sign up for our awesome new E-Zine Reptile Times!

  6. #16
    BPnet Veteran RetiredJedi's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-15-2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,350
    Thanks
    309
    Thanked 369 Times in 297 Posts
    Images: 5

    Re: best cheap thermostat and one other question

    Quote Originally Posted by snake lab View Post
    Helix, spider, johnsons controls, ranco , viv. All good i listed them in order of what i think ate best to worst of that category but all good
    snake, what makes the spyder better than the viv but the spyder (herpstat 1 basic) is only basically $1 more? I am asking because I am looking at getting a three tub rack and want to get a nice t-stat for it.
    Last edited by RetiredJedi; 02-22-2012 at 02:24 PM.
    1.0 Boxer (Boba…@bobatheboxer on IG)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Blaming the leader of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their leader."
    ~unknown~
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    SUPPORT OUR WOUNDED WARRIORS
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  7. #17
    BPnet Senior Member kitedemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-01-2010
    Location
    NS Canada
    Posts
    6,062
    Thanks
    657
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Images: 11
    I'd say the best cheapest is the herpstat intro @ 99$ it is hard to beat.

    I like helix too but I prefer the herpstat line generally. Ecozone has really nice units too but priced them selves quite high. I too have an issue with the VEs they do not have full specs and after a number of emails I still don't have an answer to what the accuracy of the probe is. I can only assume that it is the same as the others but that is just guessing it could be much different. There also has been a few of people whom have them that have reported trouble with the units not accepting temp changes and not holding settings after a power failure. I don't have one but these issues and the missing specs are a BIG concern for me I cannot recommend them after the members here and on another forms issues with them.

  8. #18
    Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-21-2010
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    12,050
    Thanks
    6,313
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Images: 3
    I have a Helix, a couple VEs and use the Zillas-> (mainly as a backup)
    They all work great, I have my QT on the Zillas only.
    I have not had any problems with my VEs and they work great, even have one on my incubator that will hopefully get used this season but it is holding temps great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1