Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,274

1 members and 1,273 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,162
Threads: 248,599
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Csr112
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Why Are They Not Hairless?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhasputin View Post
    How does curing a disease have anything to do with understanding genetic causes for things?.

tons of genetic diseases exist. If genetics was such an exact science we could make HUGE stride in medicine.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Let's not forget about line bred traits that are sort of heritable.

Not enough is known about the hypomelanism in False Water Cobras but that seems to be both genetic and line bred, or co-dom, or what have you.

It's easy to do a punnet square for one or two or maybe even three or four traits, but far more than those tiny numbers are in the mix.

I've bred blues to blue hooded and gotten no blue anythings. Odds, yes I know, but it really shouldn't work that way.

One of the things I really like about breeding the rats is the surprises you get.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by suzuki4life View Post
    one of the major flaws of genetics is that it is impossible to know ALL of the animals heritage and background since animals like rats existed in theory before humans.

Tom, this conversation sounds like one you argued with me pre Manx rat huh?

Manx+ het manx= manx...how's that working out for you?
    I'm going to keep going generation by generation until my original male dies or he produces another manx male for me LOL.

I am my second generation of females now and still haven't hit one yet.

If he makes it another two generations and he doesn't make another manx for me I'm going to ask for a refund...oh wait...I didn't pay anything for him.

Thanks
    Not knowing all of the genetic background of an animal, isn't a flaw of genetic science. It's easy to map an animals complete genetic background by test matings and by genetic testing.

Don't confuse reptile genetics with mouse and rat genetics. They are extremely different. Rats and mice are extremely well documented, since they have been studied, and bred for hundreds of years with hundreds of variants that are well traced, tracked, documented, and studied.

Thanks
    isnt manx known to be "non-genetic" and not work "normally" ? more of a random mutation?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BAMReptiles View Post
    isnt manx known to be "non-genetic" and not work "normally" ? more of a random mutation?
    Manx is absolutely genetic, but like you have co-dominant traits like rex in rats, or tiger retics, or hypo boas, I like to think of manx as super recessive.

You have to breed a manx to a normal, then the het back to the manx, and then the het from that litter back to the manx and so on. A few generations down the line you start getting "some" manx.

This is what I have learned from everyone I know that breeds them. I'm still working on mine.

I might produce 50,000 rats next year and 5 manx LOL.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

I just picked up a hairless manx and will be getting her brother and mother tomorrow. I'm going to breed the boy to his sis and mom and a few dumbos that might have the hairless gene.

The manx is out of a hairless the guy got from me a few months ago but he doesn't what male knocked her up.

Should be interesting.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BAMReptiles View Post
    we produce manx cats about 30% of the time with a manx to manx breeding. So what do you determine as "random" if I can guarantee that every litter will have atleast 1 offspring with the trait? (she has been producing 3+). So is it genetic in mammals? IMHO yes, it is in cats. What Tom is experiencing it that he does not have a female to do a straight breeding with to determine if it wil be sucessful or not. His manx was produced from two parents with normal tails. THAT itself is the feat. If I mix 2 red paints together the outcome is normally predictable. When that outcome falls off the graph, that is when things get interesting.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rhasputin View Post
    Not knowing all of the genetic background of an animal, isn't a flaw of genetic science. It's easy to map an animals complete genetic background by test matings and by genetic testing.

it is impossible to map genetic science if you were not present to see it. It is possible to speculate...and that is a flaw what causes many theories to be discredited.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by suzuki4life View Post
    it is impossible to map genetic science if you were not present to see it. It is possible to speculate...and that is a flaw what causes many theories to be discredited.
    That makes no sense at all. Weren't there to see what?
    And do you have -any- scientific data, or papers that are credible where people are questioning any of the theories you are talking about?
    Do you even know what theories you are talking about?
    Do you even know what a scientific theory -is-?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast