Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,269

2 members and 3,267 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: selling a horse

Thanks

selling a horse

I am not making this post as an ad I am just saying that after thinking long and hard (for a few years actually,) We have decided to sell our mare, Emma. There are many reasons.. first off, her temperament. She has no aggressive bones in her body (toward humans) but she is just very, very spooky. Now, for someone who has hours to de-spook a horse, and train, she would he an absolute dream. She's beautiful, healthy, fair confo.. sound.
    It also seems like she is bored here. Here is the issue. I want to work with the mares, but I usually work them alone. Put one in the barn, and it is HELL. One in barn goes absolutely nuts trying to get out and be where we are. One outside completely is distracted (though I can control the horse outside.. it is the one in the barn that I am afraid of injuring herself. This goes both ways. Even our other mare, who I would never sell and whose temperament compliments me awesomely, is buddy sour.) I want Emma to go to a professional; someone who can do things with her that I have no time or real knowledge to do. I have much experience with broke, despooked horses.. really, none with spookies, save for Emma. She is fine 95% of the time; a dream to groom, tack/un, etc.
    Emma wants a job. She wants someone to devote hours to her, in some kind of discipline.
    So I put up an ad for her today. I am really looking forward to the days when horses will not be a chore anymore for me, but something to be enjoyed. With my one mare here, I can actually work with her instead of risking the barn falling down from the nonworked horse.. or being in the middle of spontaneous outbursts of horse dominance in the pasture. Cuesta (mare I am keeping) was a lone horse for years at her previous home and was fine; I might get a companion for her anyway (goat) but this is my plan for now.
    I actually have worked with Emma over the eyars (owned her since 2002.) There is just this innate sense of spookiness in her that I do not think can be trained out.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: selling a horse

What kind of spooking does she do? Is she a spook/ bolt/ bucking fool? Or are her spooks the kind where she leaps sideways and spins? Breed? Age?
    Gotta hear the whooooole story...

~~ZinniaZ
    2.1.0 ball python-- James Herriot the Spider BP and Paradox, my son's female normal BP, Jack London, het red axanthic
    0.1 Blue Beauty-- Anna Sewall

Thanks

She's a 10-odd-year old QH type pinto. Her spooks involve her trying to get into your pocket, as my trainer puts it. Like, last week, she spooked at nothing while my husband was walking her, and semi-reared, and landed on his foot. Pretty bad damage to him.. Riding-wise, she is a bolter. Ignorant.. needs training.. more professional than I can offer I guess.
    I am just a relatively nervous person by nature, and I need a calm mare.
    Ball pythons:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ginevive View Post
    She's a 10-odd-year old QH type pinto. Her spooks involve her trying to get into your pocket, as my trainer puts it. Like, last week, she spooked at nothing while my husband was walking her, and semi-reared, and landed on his foot. Pretty bad damage to him.. Riding-wise, she is a bolter. Ignorant.. needs training.. more professional than I can offer I guess.
    I am just a relatively nervous person by nature, and I need a calm mare.
    my horse was the same way.. just takes hours and HOURS of time.. Trust me, but the pay off is worth it =]
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gunns View Post
    You could learn a thing or two from Big Gunns. The first lesson being.....if you're gonna dish it, you better be ready to EAT IT!!!!!
    I do it for the lulz, nothing else.

Thanks

I just don't feel any kind of bond with this mare. I know that there is someone out there that can take her places. She is one of those that are bored with pasture life; I can see it in her eyes when she is standing around. She's high-energy (not due to feeding; just her nature.) My other mare, now, that is a mare that I have a bond with. I can't explain it. But actually Emma was originally my husband's horse. He just doesn't have time for horses really; they are more of my thing. This leads me to say that I really only want to have Cuesta (my mare, not getting sold.) I can't take 2 horses here and do anything productive with them for the before-mentioned reasons.. so I think that this is for the best...
    Ball pythons:

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

It does sound like a good decision. You ought to post her on dreamhorse and on equine.com. Pictures would be great even here. Horsepeople always know someone who is looking for a horse, eh?

~~ZinniaZ
    2.1.0 ball python-- James Herriot the Spider BP and Paradox, my son's female normal BP, Jack London, het red axanthic
    0.1 Blue Beauty-- Anna Sewall

Thanks

We had one that spooked out during police training at my parents and did a half backflip onto her so shes had a ton of major hip surgeries the last year and ever since then that horse has not been right. I'm hoping she can give him a good home somewhere because the new little guy we've got over there is a dream!

Facebook.com/ToValhallaReptiles
    Instagram.com/ToValhallaReptiles

Thanks

Ouch.. I do definately know that we are doing this for the best. I posted my ad on Equine.com.
    Ball pythons:

Thanks

Well anyhow, good luck with it!

Facebook.com/ToValhallaReptiles
    Instagram.com/ToValhallaReptiles

Thanks

If I was only closer! I have been looking into getting a horse, but I bet a rope would spook her, and cattle for that matter. Good luck to her and you! Im sure she will turn into a great horse for someone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast