Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,470

3 members and 3,467 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Before you buy a rheostat, read this.

they're worthless! i recently set up my rack with a rheostat and set the temp at 93. when this cold front hit us here in Central Florida, my hot side temp dropped down to 80! word of advice to anyone considering a rheostat: take the hit and spend the extra money on a good thermostat!

Thanks

Re: Before you buy a rheostat, read this.

sorry you had to learn the hard way man, that totally sux

Thanks

Oh, it should be well known that rheostats are only a temporary measure and best used in very stable environments. If you have no other choice, as I do until I get a new awaited t-stat, then the rheostat is wonderful because it at least keeps the temps from spiking too high and harming your animal.

They are a major pain, however, as they will not adjust to changes in room temp. The only way I can get mine to work for me right now is to have it on the lowest setting connected to a timer set to come on for 15 min every hour.

Sorry you had to learn that hard lesson, Street Killer. And I hope your snakes are alright despite it.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

i read about them not keeping consistent temps, but i had to try for myself. haha. and it didn't work out.

as for my snakes, i only had one in the rack, and i have since moved him to a glass tank with a heat lamp and some flexwatt underneath (attached to the rheostat on the lowest setting.) thermostat will be ordered soon.

Thanks

I got a qustion, a thermostat is like 12 bucks right? tells you the temps and Hum? what is a rheostat and i just orderd my flexwatt so do i need a rheostat to hok up to the flexwatt to kep it right or do i just need a thermostat from walmart for 12 dollers to tell me the temps and Hum
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gunns View Post
    You could learn a thing or two from Big Gunns. The first lesson being.....if you're gonna dish it, you better be ready to EAT IT!!!!!
    I do it for the lulz, nothing else.

Thanks

Thermo: "temperature"
    Meter: "measure"
    A thermometer measures the temperatures near it, but does not control them.

Stat: "unchanging"

A thermostat controls the temperature of a device and keeps that temperature stable, by adjusting the amount of electricity that the device gets. The thermostat measures this with a temperature probe that you put in the enclosure or on your heat tape. You tell the thermostat what temperature you want, and it adjusts the heat up and down for you, so you never get too hot or too cold.

In your case, you would run it like this:

Flexwatt --->Thermostat--->Wall outlet.

If you don't use a thermostat on your flexwatt, it will get way too hot and can burn your snake. Flexwatt absolutely cannot be used without a thermostat. Good brands are Helix and Herpstat. I have Herpstats and haven't had a problem with them, but Helixes have an equally good reputation from what I've heard.

A rheostat is like a dimmer switch for your heat tape. You can turn it to a particular setting, and it will allow just that much current to flow through. This works okay in a room where the temperature never changes, but if the room temperature goes up and down a lot, the rheostat won't adjust the heat for you. It has no way to sense the changing temperatures, and just keeps putting the same current through no matter what.

Hope that helps a bit...
    ~Jess
    Balls: 2.10 normal, 1.0 pastel, 2.2 het albino, 1.0 50% het pied, 1.2 poss. axanthic, 1.0 pinstripe, 1.0 black pastel,
    Misc. snakes: 1.1 blood python, 1.0 Tarahumara Mountain kingsnake, 0.1 RTB
    0.0.1 Red-eyed casque-headed skink
    1.2 dogs (Lab, Catahoula, Papillon-X), 6.1 cats, 1.0 foster dog
    6.4.8 ASFs
    1.0 Very Patient Boyfriend

Thanks

yes, that does to a point so how much is the thing i need for my flexwatt, and where can i get it? walmart?
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gunns View Post
    You could learn a thing or two from Big Gunns. The first lesson being.....if you're gonna dish it, you better be ready to EAT IT!!!!!
    I do it for the lulz, nothing else.

Thanks

Thanks for the info, I was curious to all this too!

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Meter: "measure"
    A thermometer measures the temperatures near it, but does not control them.

Stat: "unchanging"

A thermostat controls the temperature of a device and keeps that temperature stable, by adjusting the amount of electricity that the device gets. The thermostat measures this with a temperature probe that you put in the enclosure or on your heat tape. You tell the thermostat what temperature you want, and it adjusts the heat up and down for you, so you never get too hot or too cold.

In your case, you would run it like this:

Flexwatt --->Thermostat--->Wall outlet.

If you don't use a thermostat on your flexwatt, it will get way too hot and can burn your snake. Flexwatt absolutely cannot be used without a thermostat. Good brands are Helix and Herpstat. I have Herpstats and haven't had a problem with them, but Helixes have an equally good reputation from what I've heard.

A rheostat is like a dimmer switch for your heat tape. You can turn it to a particular setting, and it will allow just that much current to flow through. This works okay in a room where the temperature never changes, but if the room temperature goes up and down a lot, the rheostat won't adjust the heat for you. It has no way to sense the changing temperatures, and just keeps putting the same current through no matter what.

Hope that helps a bit...
    Stephanie

Thanks

Both of these companies are nice people who sell good thermostats:

The Bean Farm
    www.beanfarm.com

Reptile Basics
    www.reptilebasics.com

I've used The Bean Farm myself, and they have wicked-fast shipping and reasonable prices, but I've heard great things about Reptile Basics too. You can't go wrong with either company.
    ~Jess
    Balls: 2.10 normal, 1.0 pastel, 2.2 het albino, 1.0 50% het pied, 1.2 poss. axanthic, 1.0 pinstripe, 1.0 black pastel,
    Misc. snakes: 1.1 blood python, 1.0 Tarahumara Mountain kingsnake, 0.1 RTB
    0.0.1 Red-eyed casque-headed skink
    1.2 dogs (Lab, Catahoula, Papillon-X), 6.1 cats, 1.0 foster dog
    6.4.8 ASFs
    1.0 Very Patient Boyfriend

Thanks

I used a rheo, briefly, while waiting for my HerpStat to arrive. Fortunately it went okay, but I'm now using a nice proportional thermostat and I rest much easier.

True story: the furnace in our house didn't cut in one day this winter, early in the morning. The rest of the house was cold as heck, but the inside of my snakes viv was perfect! Right then and there I didn't regret the $$$ AT ALL!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast