Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,334

1 members and 3,333 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Heating Glass tank

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Yes, 70 at night is too low- you want about 75* at least, on the "cool" side, & about 88* at the warmest (& that's "24/7").

How big is the UTH compared to the floor space it's under? Might need a larger one (but not over half the floor)but it must always be controlled by a thermostat- & pls double check the actual temperature IN the tank & under substrate (where the snake can get to by pushing away the substrate). If substrate is too deep, it becomes "insulation" (not allowing enough heat to rise into the tank) so the substrate should always be shallow over the UTH. EVERY heat option MUST be controlled by a thermostat- it sounds like you need at least one more-

While UTH helps to provide needed warmth, it is usually NOT be enough to provide adequate heat both day & night for a BP. It also depends on how cool the room is where the tank is located- & glass tanks have trouble holding in warmth, so a good idea might be to insulate the sides & back with something** as that may help. (** foam-core poster board, cork tiles, corrugated cardboard, styrofoam sheet cut to fit, carpet tiles, etc. etc. -many things will work & help keep in warmth.) If you'd rather not see the "insulation", you can tape on some scenery first- & the insulation behind it.

DO NOT "wrap the lamp in...tape" or anything else- yes, that's a fire hazard! And heat sources not controlled by t-stat are an accident waiting to happen- pls don't "cook your snake"!

Yes, it would help us to see your set-up... https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-Post-Pictures

How long have you had the snake & is he eating?
    Almost a month. And yes she eats 2 adult feeder mice every 7-10 days. She approx 7 months old. Thank you for the tips too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    That's great that she's eating so well & in only a months time. That might actually be a little too much food for her- usually one item every 7 days is better, but I'm not seeing your snake in a way that I can tell her body condition. This may help: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/cach...f42b352b68.jpg

So just keep in mind that everyone's set-up is a little different- we can offer suggestions but for example, if your room/house is colder, then our suggestions may need to be modified for your exact set-up. We don't all use the same amount of home heating or A/C, or live in the same climate.

And btw-
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-24-2023 at 10:55 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (06-24-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts

Do you have an infrared point thermometer to measure the surface temperature of the glass over the UTH?

Something like this:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/121-in...ter-63985.html

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-24-2023),Homebody (06-24-2023)

Thanks

No I don’t went to Home Depot to get one and they were all too pricey ima get this one or one of Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

I have my boa in a glass tank. I have foam poster board around three sides and on the top, a UTH (on a thermostat, of course), and a heat lamp on a rheostat, and have no problems maintaining temps in the tank. Spotticus is 5 years old now and I've never had any problems with him (except when he strikes at his mouse and misses and gets my hand instead, lol.
    "Something Clever"

1.0 Paradox Albino KSB - Spotticus
    0.1 Dutch Rabbit - Wendy

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spicey For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-26-2023),Homebody (06-26-2023)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12