Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,389

1 members and 3,388 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hissing

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts

Re: Hissing

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Interesting... in all my years and all my Royals... I’ve never EVER heard one hiss !!

They must be more reserved over here in the uk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Can't hiss with a stiff upper lip & all that...And such a lowly sound for a Royal, no wonder they don't.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

I have heard a BP hiss as a baby. Made me decide on taking his brother instead. If you think a BP hiss is freaky, I have a male retic that is an adult. When he hissed at me when I first got him boy was that an experience. Everyone jumped back and took a look. I am still working with him and at 12ish feet I am happy he is a runner and doesn't hiss anymore.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-21-2020)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    I have learned when a usually sweetheart snake seems extra hissy or on the move, it's best to leave them alone. Either you are risking a bite or getting used as a toilet or both.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

Thanks

Out of our four, I only had once hiss - Pumpkin, our Piebald female. She was nervous and actually I don't hear her doing it much anymore as she is settling in nicely. It would be when we were getting her out for handling. Now my Loki, he is always looking to strike. Very nervous and at 1.5 yrs, I was hoping he would settle down by now. He gets handled a bit, maybe I need to get him out more. The other two, Snickers and Heath, have always been "boopable" according to my daughter.

Interestingly enough, the 2 most chill snakes, Snickers and Heath I got from the same breeder a year apart. The other two were from different breeders. So it makes me wonder how much they get handled before they get shipped and if it makes a difference with their personalities.
    Last edited by Dr-G; 03-21-2020 at 09:59 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr-G View Post
    Out of our four, I only had once hiss - Pumpkin, our Piebald female. She was nervous and actually I don't hear her doing it much anymore as she is settling in nicely. It would be when we were getting her out for handling. Now my Loki, he is always looking to strike. Very nervous and at 1.5 yrs, I was hoping he would settle down by now. He gets handled a bit, maybe I need to get him out more. The other two, Snickers and Heath, have always been "boopable" according to my daughter.

Interestingly enough, the 2 most chill snakes, Snickers and Heath I got from the same breeder a year apart. The other two were from different breeders. So it makes me wonder how much they get handled before they get shipped and if it makes a difference with their personalities.
    I'd say it's both "nature" & "nurture". I'm sure some snake breeders are way too busy to do much "handling" before snakes are sold, but if they do, it all helps. Then again, I've bred my share of snakes, & in any given group of neonates or hatchlings, some are always more calm than others. They really DO have their own personalities, but even so, nearly all can be worked with to improve how they act as pets. And that's not just BPs, it goes for all kinds of snakes. A small percentage are really chill, another small % are bonkers (lousy pets), but most of them fall somewhere in between, workable and they improve with empathy & patience.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-21-2020 at 11:12 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12