Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,434

4 members and 3,430 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User Serpentine_Queen's Avatar
    Thanks

Question Is my ball python hungry?

Today my male ball python (161 grams empty) was wandering around during the day time. His pupils were huge and has short, fast tongue flicks. He is 6 months old, and he is about 22 inches. I'm new to owning a ball python but I have already fed him 2 since I got him (every 6 days). I'm going to feed him tomorrow, but I wonder if I should feed him every 5 days instead of 6 days. He is currently eating rat pups, and I measure them before I thaw them (I grab the smaller ones which are about 25 grams). He is also slithering up the side of the tank, I have a light bulb just to brighten up his enclosure and most of the time I have it off. I also have a heat mat (The light doesn't produce heat), and his warm side is 91°F, and his cool side sits at 80°F always. His humidity is a constant 55%. I just wanted to ask if he is indeed hungry or if he knows its food time tomorrow.
    Last edited by Serpentine_Queen; 02-02-2020 at 02:06 PM.

Thanks
    If you have fed him twice since owning him (every 6 days) I am guessing he is not hungry. You might describe your enclosure, how it's heated and what the temps and humidity are and what kind of hides you have. I know every snake grows at different rates but when our new BP was 4 months old he was 214 grams and around 300 at 6 months old.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Midwest For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-02-2020)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Read this, print it out an use it. No, it's not the end all but it is the best start I've read anywhere.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...=feeding+guide

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-02-2020),Craiga 01453 (02-02-2020)

Thanks

Re: Is my ball python hungry?

I have two small RBI hides and he fits in the perfectly, but when he is in a loose squarish-ball he sometimes goes out the back. I have new medium RBI hides that I ordered but I think that they might be too big for him right now.
    This is what my current enclosure looks like.

He was in his hide at this point.
    I just got pictures of him wandering around...
    Last edited by Serpentine_Queen; 02-02-2020 at 02:34 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    If your hides are too big for him, just wad up a few paper towels (whatever you need to make it cozy for his size) & stuff them inside. He'll grow into them &
    in the meantime, feel secure.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine_Queen View Post
    Today my male ball python (161 grams empty) was wandering around during the day time. His pupils were huge and has short, fast tongue flicks. He is 6 months old, and he is about 22 inches. I'm new to owning a ball python but I have already fed him 2 since I got him (every 6 days). I'm going to feed him tomorrow, but I wonder if I should feed him every 5 days instead of 6 days. He is currently eating rat pups, and I measure them before I thaw them (I grab the smaller ones which are about 25 grams). He is also slithering up the side of the tank, I have a light bulb just to brighten up his enclosure and most of the time I have it off. I also have a heat mat (The light doesn't produce heat), and his warm side is 91°F, and his cool side sits at 80°F always. His humidity is a constant 55%. I just wanted to ask if he is indeed hungry or if he knows its food time tomorrow.
    I'd have to guess that he's getting hungry, but that doesn't mean you need to stop what you're doing & feed him early...he can wait, & probably should.

From the chart above, it seems you're feeding him the right size, but I'm wondering about that light you're using sometimes, & whether you've double checked how warm
    the enclosure gets when it's on. Just because an over-head light isn't very efficient (much of the heat rises) doesn't mean that the "perfect temps" don't rise & effect your
    snake's metabolism, which might account for him getting hungry sooner than you expected. And "slithering up the side of the tank" could be just curiosity, or it could also
    mean he's looking for an area that's a little cooler for relief. OK?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Are you sure he is 6months old? I know every animal is different but 181g seems aweful small for a 6mo ball python. My guy is I figure around 6 or 7 months and he weight 350g. I feed him on a 7 day schedule and he is usually out cruising at night a few days before eating. I have no doubt he would eat more frequently but that doesn't mean he should. Your prey size sound about right for his size.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Nice looking BP. As others have said, your current feeding schedule and prey size is spot on. If your temps are dialed in accurately I wouldn't change anything.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

11. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (02-08-2020)

Thanks

According to the breeder he is about 6 months old, I don't know how often they were feeding him before or if he was just a smaller baby... The breeder put his parents and his hatch day on the card when I bought him. The card says 7/11/19... but I don't know.. should I contact the breeder about it?

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine_Queen View Post
    According to the breeder he is about 6 months old, I don't know how often they were feeding him before or if he was just a smaller baby... The breeder put his parents and his hatch day on the card when I bought him. The card says 7/11/19... but I don't know.. should I contact the breeder about it?
    I wouldn't sweat it. As long as he continues eating appropriately sized meals consistently there's nothing to worry about.

That weight at six months really isn't that small, especially for a male. I just looked back at my records and my male was 198 grams at his closest weigh in to six months. He's always been a healthy boy and maintained good body structure. He's now floating a little under 1,400 grams as an adult.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast