Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,473

2 members and 3,471 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: mites update + a few mite-related questions

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    I did not mention this earlier but if you have not done so already I would highly recommend to treat the rest of your collection preventive as well just in case sometimes even strict quarantine procedures don't stop those little hitch hikers (the the tubs, racks, spray the floor around the racks to create a barrier)
    can i just use the PAM? and how long do you ventilate with using a substrate like Reptichip? im so scared of exposing the snakes up there vapors before they're gone.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    can i just use the PAM? and how long do you ventilate with using a substrate like Reptichip? im so scared of exposing the snakes up there vapors before they're gone.
    Yeah, I'd use PAM for that as well. I usually use it with paper or paper towels, but did do with reptile prime once for preventative on a new snake. As long as it isn't damp substrate, it dried in an hour or two, but I tested by getting my nose up close and giving it a good sniff. If I could smell it at all, I waited more. If the substrate is damp it could take a long time to dry fully.. :/

Maybe scoop some out of a cage and treat it as a test batch to figure out how long it takes?

I'm not sure how to test it is fully dried besides smelling for it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (01-04-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yes you can usually I do 12 hours when I pre-treat new incoming animals (obviously this is a plan situation unlike yours), but so long you use as directed give it 30 min/1 hour you are fine. If you have spare clean tubs use those replace the bedding spray and switch the animals to a new clean pre-treated tub.

I know it's a lot of work but being pro-active and a little paranoid could save you from a non stop infestation, remember it only take one mite.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

pretends2bnormal (01-04-2019),tttaylorrr (01-04-2019)

Thanks

Yes you can usually I do 12 hours when I pre-treat new incoming animals (obviously this is a plan situation unlike yours), but so long you use as directed give it 30 min/1 hour you are fine. If you have spare clean tubs use those replace the bedding spray and switch the animals to a new clean pre-treated tub.

I know it's a lot of work but being pro-active and a little paranoid could save you from a non stop infestation, remember it only take one mite.
    my whole night is going to be cleaning now hahaha. oh well! i just bought some beer.

yes i have fresh tubs i can use and will just use paper towel for now.

i literally just made new reptichip and changed everyone's substrate last night which is a bummer lol, but im debating on dumping it back into the big tub i keep it in and leaving it outside for a few nights (midwest winter here). what do you think, Deb?
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

i literally just made new reptichip and changed everyone's substrate last night which is a bummer lol, but im debating on dumping it back into the big tub i keep it in and leaving it outside for a few nights (midwest winter here). what do you think, Deb?
    Baking will kill mites also, so that's another option.

I think what I read on freezing said that it has to be consistently below freezing for a couple weeks or something.

Last edited by pretends2bnormal; 01-04-2019 at 08:59 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (01-04-2019)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

my whole night is going to be cleaning now hahaha. oh well! i just bought some beer.

yes i have fresh tubs i can use and will just use paper towel for now.

Dumping the subtrate they already used for one night into 1 big tub treat and redistribute?

I don't recommend, that's cross contamination , just like you always use the same tub same water bow unless you completely bleach it out not just your average cleaning.
    Deborah Stewart

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (01-04-2019),tttaylorrr (01-04-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    Baking will kill mites also, so that's another option.

I think what I read on freezing said that it has to be consistently below freezing for a couple weeks or something.

Dumping the subtrate they already used for one night into 1 big tub treat and redistribute?

I don't recommend, that's cross contamination , just like you always use the same tub same water bow unless you completely bleach it out not just your average cleaning.
    thank you both so much! it's not worth the work and risk since it's no guarantee.

currently treating the new tubs right now with PAM; will move everyone in a couple hours once dried down.

ugh, if only i had the time to make this post yesterday before i cleaned everyone lol.
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    Blog Entries

thank you both so much! it's not worth the work and risk since it's no guarantee.

currently treating the new tubs right now with PAM; will move everyone in a couple hours once dried down.

ugh, if only i had the time to make this post yesterday before i cleaned everyone lol.
    Look at the bright side you do not have 100 snakes to treat
    Deborah Stewart

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-05-2019),tttaylorrr (01-04-2019)

Thanks

Look at the bright side you do not have 100 snakes to treat
    girl...that's the point when you just cry LOL.

i will say i've already learned a lot from this experience and having to fight mites; i'm trying VERY hard to think of this as a hands-on learning opportunity.
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

I JUST REALLY WANT YOU ALL TO KNOW i handled the B.Pastel to transfer her and check her over and NOT. ONE. HISS! no striking! no biting herself! even saw some tongue flicking!!!

once in her 6qt enclosure she came right out to explore and didn't even strike the tub when she noticed me; just curious tongue flicking. PROGRESS!!!

also i accidentally treated the wrong spare bin for the Bamboo (no vent holes lol) so i gotta wait a bit longer.

for the established collection i will treat them tomorrow as ive already started dealing with the QT animals so i don't wanna risk anything.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 01-04-2019 at 11:15 PM.
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

16. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

pretends2bnormal (01-05-2019)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123