Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,272

0 members and 3,272 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: BP not eating but also not losing that much weight

Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    The mouse does look a bit small. With young BP's, aim for a prey item that is 10-15% of the snake's bodyweight. So for a 62 gram BP, you want a 6-9 gram mouse. Basically a smaller hopper.
    Okay I'll be sure to purchase a bigger mouse. (The mice I've been attempting to feed my BP are usually 5 g.)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DPlant View Post
    Okay I'll be sure to purchase a bigger mouse. (The mice I've been attempting to feed my BP are usually 5 g.)
    your ability to be open and receptive to advice is so nice to see. your baby will be on the right track in no-time with a loving owner like you.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

DPlant (12-17-2018),WhompingWillow (12-17-2018)

Thanks

Alright. By the way, is there a specific amount of days I should wait before offering it food again? And also, should I be worrying because the BP has only lose 5 grams in two weeks?
    I wpuldnt worry to much its only 5 grams if it loses more the 10% of its body weight then id be getting concerned. If it doesent eat dont try again for 5 to 7 days i feed mine every 7+ days but babys i would do every 5.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dylan_ For This Useful Post:

DPlant (12-17-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan_ View Post
    I wpuldnt worry to much its only 5 grams if it loses more the 10% of its body weight then id be getting concerned. If it doesent eat dont try again for 5 to 7 days i feed mine every 7+ days but babys i would do every 5.

Actually i would just sticj woth every 7 days over feeding can cause health issues

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dylan_ For This Useful Post:

DPlant (12-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    You don't have to cover the entire front. Maybe just a bit on each side, leaving the middle open. Just try to get the snake a lot more secluded and relaxed. No handling, then try feeding again, in about 5 to 7 days after the changes were done.

Make sure the mouse is well heated.

I would put it into HOT water for 5 to 7 minutes after its already defrosted. Not hot like painful or boiling hot of course. And make sure its already defrosted. Hot water like washing dishes with hot water.

It seems to heat the rodent nicely through and through.

Then roll it into a paper towel (mouse should feel warm and toasty) and take it to the snake immediately. By the time you unroll it it should still be really warm and mostly dry from the paper towel. Offer on tongs. Offer late in the evening, don't turn super bright lights on. Just enough to see what you are doing. Offer it by moving it a bit. If you don't get a strike, leave is and leave the room or at least, leave the snake undisturbed until morning. Sometimes they take it later on.

Don't leave live food unsupervised, unless its a young rodent that can't do damage.

good luck
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

DPlant (12-17-2018),tttaylorrr (12-17-2018),WhompingWillow (12-17-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    your ability to be open and receptive to advice is so nice to see. your baby will be on the right track in no-time with a loving owner like you.
    Thank you so much! I will try my hardest to make this baby BP healthy

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DPlant For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (12-17-2018),zina10 (12-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

BP not eating but also not losing that much weight

Everything as per post #25 above ..
    One thing to consider ( apart from warming the mouse with a hairdryer then offering instantly ) is that some Royals ( all mine ) will only strike feed from within their hides so I check that they're settled under a hide .... quick blast with a hairdryer then instantly dangle it on front of the hide entrance ... if there's any interest then just keep repeating the above process as many times as it takes ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 12-17-2018 at 08:42 AM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

DPlant (12-17-2018),zina10 (12-17-2018)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

As some of you may know, my BP has not been eating and it still isn't eating //: However, it's only lost 5 g in two weeks (67 g two weeks ago and 62 g today). The humidity is 50-70% and the ambient temps are around 88-90 F on the warm side and 75-80 F on the cool side. Also, there is a heating mat set at 90 F with a thermostat. I honestly am clueless as to why it's not eating at this point. I've even been braining the mouse after defrosting them! BTW the snake is 13-14 inches so I think it's like a year old. Does anyone have any idea as to what's going on?
    Do this to a T https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-hatchling-101 at that age if he was well started it should be eating unless you are not meeting it's need. 98% off feeding issues with new owners are husbandry related.

And no your snake is not one year if he is 62 grams, that's the average weight of a BP out of the egg.
    Deborah Stewart

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

DPlant (12-17-2018),MissterDog (12-17-2018)

Thanks

When you feed, do you just drop it in or do you use tongs and wiggle the mouse around? My snake sometimes needs a little coaxing by seeing the mouse do the “zombie dance” before she decides it’s worth eating. I’ve only left the mouse in the tank without tongs once where she actually ate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Maddlesrain For This Useful Post:

DPlant (12-17-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maddlesrain View Post
    When you feed, do you just drop it in or do you use tongs and wiggle the mouse around? My snake sometimes needs a little coaxing by seeing the mouse do the “zombie dance” before she decides it’s worth eating. I’ve only left the mouse in the tank without tongs once where she actually ate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I use tongs to make the mouse dance around and my snake always gets its head close to it and starts flicking its tongue but it never strikes ): After making the mouse dance with my tongs, I just put it in the tank and leave it there overnight (but she hasn't eaten). However, one time I came back home to find a mouse all ripped up so I'm assuming the BP attempted to eat it (though I do not know why it did not finish its meal). Also, I've recently started to brain/cut the mouse up so that the blood could possibly entice the BP to eat it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast