We have three miniature horses that are kept with the nine goats and a sheep. Hiccup occasionally chases them off, and Bubbles never bothers anyone. They're also the oldest, with Hiccup at seven and Bubbles at twenty.
Shiloh is three, and was gelded only last year. He is great with humans and the other horses. And generally, he's fine with the goats. But once food is out (hay, grass, or grain), he chases them, kicks at them, and bites them. At first it wasn't bad, and we tried to curb it. Now he yanks on their skin, and while he's never brought blood, they have patches of missing hair. It's only been the last few weeks he's done this, and we're worried it will escalate more.
We can't separate him for feeding. Tomorrow I'm going to keep him on a lead, I think, while he eats hay with them. Other than that, I'm at a loss as to what we should do.
I doubt he's ever starved, unlike Hiccup and Bubbles, who have both been abused to the point of severe injuries or death. I could understand it if they were really possessive of food, but Shiloh? He was raised specifically for the meat market before he was rescued and came to us, and was perfectly healthy, only he hadn't been trained.
And the goats don't do anything to him. They do tend to crowd others, but they're goats. Beside that, they don't show any aggressive behavior to anyone.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.