Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,817

1 members and 2,816 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Crested Gecko, help please!

Right, thinking of getting a crested gecko, and this is the setup i can get for £210:

45x45x60 Terrarium
    Grapevine
    Large ficus silk plant
    Medium abutillon silk plant
    Liquid crystal thermometer
    Rainforest substrate 10l
    Glow light reflector medium
    5.0 13w compact lamp repti glo
    Medium feeding dish
    Small water dish
    Combination padlock
    crested gecko hatchling!
    so I was woundering, is this everything needed? with the 5.0 13w compant lamp repti glo, does this produce heat or not? do i need a heat lamp?

also does this need to be on 24/7?

Thank you

Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    hi friend! i'm fairly new to cresties myself, but i've had mine for about 5 months now! he's 2.5 years old.

that's going to be a very big enclosure for such a lil guy. you might want to consider a 12x12 in. otherwise your new lil one might have trouble finding food!

paper towel works really well for cresties as they might try to eat substrates. i'd recommend paper towel, plus it makes clean up a breeze.

the size of your food/water dish is important. you say small and medium, but that's relative. my guy feeds out of 0.5 oz cups and those are actually too big for him. a big food dish means you're going to waste a lot of food, and your crestie might step in it and make a mess lol. start out with a bottle caps instead.

depending on where you live will depend on whether you need a heat lamp or not. cresties do not do well with temps anywhere near 80° F. i do no use a lamp; i live in the midwest and my crestie enclosure is on the northeast side of the house, which never gets above 75° F in the summer. i might need a lamp come winter, but we'll see.

one critical piece of equipment i don't see listed: a mist/spray bottle! crestie enclosures should be well misted every day or every other day. cresties are also known to prefer to drink water droplets off of plants and the glass, so it's important to spray regularly!

i hope all this helped!
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Re: Crested Gecko, help please!

I went a bit different direction than tttaylor, but I'm not any more experienced. I've had mine for about 4 months, and he (can't tell yet ofc) is now around 5 months old. He's pretty small for his age as far as I can tell since he refuses insects (recently I've gotten him to eat 1 or 2 small crickets a month).

I started him in a critter keeper for a while with hand misting while I got an auto mister (set up for the crestie and my husband's giant day gecko) for a bioactive planted 18"×18"×24" exo terra. I moved him in after a month or so when I was sure he was eating and pooping normally and didnt have any issues.

Even as a baby I've seen no issue with him finding his food in such a large tank (although I always replace it late evening when he is active and it smells strongest and positioned his food by one of his most frequented vines to make sure he can get to it easily)

This is an old tank picture, since I don't have a recent one that has a full view. The plants have filled in a lot and we swapped his food to the right side. Don't mind the humidity, it had just misted and spiked up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    (Why do all my pictures flip on their side?? They show normal in the previews....)
    Last edited by pretends2bnormal; 09-20-2018 at 05:26 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    I went a bit different direction than tttaylor, but I'm not any more experienced. I've had mine for about 4 months, and he (can't tell yet ofc) is now around 5 months old. He's pretty small for his age as far as I can tell since he refuses insects (recently I've gotten him to eat 1 or 2 small crickets a month).

I started him in a critter keeper for a while with hand misting while I got an auto mister (set up for the crestie and my husband's giant day gecko) for a bioactive planted 18"×18"×24" exo terra. I moved him in after a month or so when I was sure he was eating and pooping normally and didnt have any issues.

Even as a baby I've seen no issue with him finding his food in such a large tank (although I always replace it late evening when he is active and it smells strongest and positioned his food by one of his most frequented vines to make sure he can get to it easily)

This is an old tank picture, since I don't have a recent one that has a full view. The plants have filled in a lot and we swapped his food to the right side. Don't mind the humidity, it had just misted and spiked up.

(Why do all my pictures flip on their side?? They show normal in the previews....)
    your enclosure is beautiful. what's that thing on the side? the bowl-looking thing that's sticking out? is that like a hide? i like it!
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 09-20-2018 at 05:47 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Stay away from lights that emit heat, natural light is enough if the gecko is submited to temp above 26 it will stress and die

You can't put an hatchling in the size enclosure you mentioned it will be too big (that size it for an adult), hatchlings often have trouble finding their food in large enclosure and of course a non feeding gecko also means death, for an hatchling you want something like a small critter keeper roughly 38 X 22 X 22

The ideal water and food dish will be elevated and using the equivalent of a bottle cap for food and water if you provide water, some gecko will use the water dish but most will drink water drops from the size of the enclosure.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    your enclosure is beautiful. what's that thing on the side? the bowl-looking thing that's sticking out? is that like a hide? i like it!
    Thanks! It is a hide. I found someone who makes 3D printed stuff for geckos and bought it there. I bought the adult one and dont recall there being a juvenile one like I see now.
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/5779548...&more_colors=1

Though it is far too big to be useful for my guy with how small he is, so he never used it. I took it out until he gets a bit more size (and I work out how to keep the suction cups from coming off every week or so... maybe just hot glue them in place. The hide can be removed from the suction cups)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk