Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,467

3 members and 3,464 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Odd shed behavior

So my little female was fed on Monday, she has started to blue, so here comes the shed. But my concern is the fact the she is hiding under the substrate (paper towels), the humidity is right, hot and cool sides of the tub are right, she has hides but ignores them and goes under the substrate to hide. She's been there since I fed her Monday. She moves from hot to cool like normal, but remains underneath. Is this a problem or should I just leave it be and she'll be fine?

Thanks

Re: Odd shed behavior

Quote Originally Posted by TxSnakeHunter View Post
    So my little female was fed on Monday, she has started to blue, so here comes the shed. But my concern is the fact the she is hiding under the substrate (paper towels), the humidity is right, hot and cool sides of the tub are right, she has hides but ignores them and goes under the substrate to hide. She's been there since I fed her Monday. She moves from hot to cool like normal, but remains underneath. Is this a problem or should I just leave it be and she'll be fine?
    I'm totally not the expert on bps, but from what I've gathered, they usually hide before they shed. What hides are you using? All I know is that they tend to not be out and about. Also, did you increase humidity?

Like I said, you'll probably get better advice from a more experienced person. But just trying to help you out a little
    Last edited by Traceur; 09-19-2018 at 11:18 PM.
    My best friend is a cat.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    When a snake insists on going under the substrate to hide, it probably means their hides are too "tall" inside...lacking a snug feeling (aka "back pressure).
    You can often improve such hides by loosely crumpling a paper towel or two & putting them inside, so they feel more closed-in. All snakes prefer hides that
    have only one doorway (not open at either end), not too big of a doorway, and where the hide feels like a cave that doesn't have enough room for a predator
    to sneak in with them.

For the moment, I'd leave her be...it would only stress her to be pulled out from her hiding place. It's unusual for a BP to hide under the substrate...it's more
    typical of king snakes & others.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-20-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

when my eldest male started doing this, i realized it was a sign that his current hides were insecure for him. turns out he felt he outgrew them, so i got bigger ones and he stopped "digging".

just my little anecdote.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-20-2018)

Thanks
    Sounds similar to a problem my BP had when she had to choose between a half log and pangea hides, she would only ever stay in the Pangaea(despite it being on the hot-side of the tank.) I can recommend going and getting some of these hides as well if it is indeed a hide insecurity. They are also boatloads cheaper than any hide I have found at a pet store.

Also not as much of an expert but I try to help and gain more experience by reading all these posts and seeing solutions that worked.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    When a snake insists on going under the substrate to hide, it probably means their hides are too "tall" inside...lacking a snug feeling (aka "back pressure).
    You can often improve such hides by loosely crumpling a paper towel or two & putting them inside, so they feel more closed-in. All snakes prefer hides that
    have only one doorway (not open at either end), not too big of a doorway, and where the hide feels like a cave that doesn't have enough room for a predator
    to sneak in with them.

For the moment, I'd leave her be...it would only stress her to be pulled out from her hiding place. It's unusual for a BP to hide under the substrate...it's more
    typical of king snakes & others.
    Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    when my eldest male started doing this, i realized it was a sign that his current hides were insecure for him. turns out he felt he outgrew them, so i got bigger ones and he stopped "digging".

just my little anecdote.
    I agree with both above replies. The hides are likely inadequate. Whether too big, too small, not sure, can't see them and the snake.

But in the meantime, just let her be. She's just fine doing things her way. No need to intervene.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-20-2018)

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies, makes sense now. Her hides are too big. It was a quick DIY job out of plastic containers. After she sheds I'll have new smaller hides put in.