Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,377

2 members and 3,375 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Re: What made you want to adopt a snake?

I’ve been catching frogs, lizards, newts, salamanders and snakes for as long as I can remember. Unfortunately for my poor Mom, she thought she was getting a little princess when she had me.

When we were first dating, my ex-husband had a boa, that started me with my first pet snake. I purchased a neonate Colombian redtail in 1991 (Sir Hiss from Disney’s Robin Hood cartoon). Then i got my rescued ball in 1992 (Eli). Then added a female Colombian redtail in 1993 (Duncan). For a while I had a rescued male Burmese in 1995 (Tuco, from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly) until I could find him a permanent home. When the ex and I split up, the snakes went with me.

When I met my other half, he wasn’t wild about snakes but completely supported me. He was on board when I rescued my Colombian rainbow in 1995-1996 (Hudson). At one time I had 42 snakes...mostly pets, but some that were both pets and breeders. As just pets I’ve kept a Colombian rainbow boa, Dumerils boas, a coastal carpet python, a jungle python, an Irian Jaya python, Solomon Island ground boas, ball pythons, and Burmese pythons (2 rescues short term, 1 long term pet). I’ve kept and bred Colombian redtails, Cuban boas, and corn snakes (snow corns and hypo/normal corns). I ended up having to downsize due to some significant life changes where I didn’t have the time or funds to properly care for all of them, so I kept only those I was really attached to as pets - about 10. To this day I really regret giving up my Jungle python and Cuban boas. Hindsight is 20/20.

After losing my other half earlier this year, I decided to get a couple of balls that were on my long-term wish list...my pied and blue-eyed lucy. The lemonblast and dragonfly were just bonuses. I won’t be adding any more large species, but I dare say I’ll probably add more balls and a Cuban boa if I can ever find one again.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-20-2018),Damselle (10-04-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    please just keep sharing your cute stories, and keep sharing your milestones. ive found that is the best way to break that barrier down with people: help the realize people care A WHOLE BUNCH about them, and they care enough to brag.

it's worked wonders with my parents and other family members.
    I've been trying to- whenever I try reassuring them, they still get all grossed out about it. But when I do share a milestone or share a cute story, or show my concern and worries about him when I'm away, they don't ever respond
    My best friend is a cat.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Traceur For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (09-20-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Traceur View Post
    But when I do share a milestone or share a cute story, or show my concern and worries about him when I'm away, they don't ever respond
    and that's progress!!! i went through the same. i think it's a good sign!
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    I’ve been catching frogs, lizards, newts, salamanders and snakes for as long as I can remember. Unfortunately for my poor Mom, she thought she was getting a little princess when she had me.

When we were first dating, my ex-husband had a boa, that started me with my first pet snake. I purchased a neonate Colombian redtail in 1991 (Sir Hiss from Disney’s Robin Hood cartoon). Then i got my rescued ball in 1992 (Eli). Then added a female Colombian redtail in 1993 (Duncan). For a while I had a rescued male Burmese in 1995 (Tuco, from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly) until I could find him a permanent home. When the ex and I split up, the snakes went with me.

When I met my other half, he wasn’t wild about snakes but completely supported me. He was on board when I rescued my Colombian rainbow in 1995-1996 (Hudson). At one time I had 42 snakes...mostly pets, but some that were both pets and breeders. As just pets I’ve kept a Colombian rainbow boa, Dumerils boas, a coastal carpet python, a jungle python, an Irian Jaya python, Solomon Island ground boas, ball pythons, and Burmese pythons (2 rescues short term, 1 long term pet). I’ve kept and bred Colombian redtails, Cuban boas, and corn snakes (snow corns and hypo/normal corns). I ended up having to downsize due to some significant life changes where I didn’t have the time or funds to properly care for all of them, so I kept only those I was really attached to as pets - about 10. To this day I really regret giving up my Jungle python and Cuban boas. Hindsight is 20/20.

After losing my other half earlier this year, I decided to get a couple of balls that were on my long-term wish list...my pied and blue-eyed lucy. The lemonblast and dragonfly were just bonuses. I won’t be adding any more large species, but I dare say I’ll probably add more balls and a Cuban boa if I can ever find one again.
    Incredible! I love the fact you kept so many of them and that you regretted giving them up. But one day, maybe when you retire or something and you own a large house, perhaps you can get even moreYou never know!

Also, stay single XD
    My best friend is a cat.

Thanks

and that's progress!!! i went through the same. i think it's a good sign!
    That's reassuring, actually He is a cute little fella. Just wish he wasn't so jumpy sometimes, but I can't blame him. We're still new to each other, but he really is a good little guy. Just really wish I had a name for him already, it's getting weird just referring to him as "my snake"
    My best friend is a cat.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Incredible! I love the fact you kept so many of them and that you regretted giving them up. But one day, maybe when you retire or something and you own a large house, perhaps you can get even moreYou never know!

Also, stay single XD
    Giving them up was hard, mostly because they were pets first. I only bred as a hobby and was pretty particular about selling them...they were my babies. Because of the hours I currently work, I’m trying not to go too wild...don’t want taking care of them to become a chore. I have 12 now, and might add 1 or 2 more somewhere along the way.

Staying single is pretty much a given. I had 22 1/2 years with my best friend and other half. His loss was unexpected, and quite honestly I don’t think anyone can replace him..he was one in a billion. ❤️

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-20-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    Giving them up was hard, mostly because they were pets first. I only bred as a hobby and was pretty particular about selling them...they were my babies. Because of the hours I currently work, I’m trying not to go too wild...don’t want taking care of them to become a chore. I have 12 now, and might add 1 or 2 more somewhere along the way.

Staying single is pretty much a given. I had 22 1/2 years with my best friend and other half. His loss was unexpected, and quite honestly I don’t think anyone can replace him..he was one in a billion. ❤️
    Well, I wish you luck when you do get those additions

And if ya say so. I don't believe in love and romance, and I am pretty against it, so I can't necessarily say I understand how you feel. But hey, it's been proven that women actually live longer if they don't have a man, so there's a plus to owning long term pets
    My best friend is a cat.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts

okay this is so cute and i just want to share that my grandmother 100% call my snakes her legless grandbabies HERSELF. she has been the only FULLY supportive family member to my hobby and she LOVES handling them and bragging how badass she is.

she is over 80; she handles my snakes with 0 hesitation: badass level achieved
    That's adorable and pretty dang awesome of her! Wow! I love it when grandparents especially are supportive! I hope I'll be that cool when I'm 80 haha.

For my parents I noticed that they, and most folks who were originally anti-snake always seem taken aback how non-threatening ball pythons look and act. The puppy mouth always seems to surprise them whenever I show cute photos and they go "oh, they're like a puppy!" or are blown away how pretty Tapioca is because they never knew they could have different colors. That being said, it took a fair bit of effort to convince them that no, Tapioca was not a burmese python or anaconda and no, he wasn't going to eat me or my cats.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    That's adorable and pretty dang awesome of her! Wow! I love it when grandparents especially are supportive! I hope I'll be that cool when I'm 80 haha.

For my parents I noticed that they, and most folks who were originally anti-snake always seem taken aback how non-threatening ball pythons look and act. The puppy mouth always seems to surprise them whenever I show cute photos and they go "oh, they're like a puppy!" or are blown away how pretty Tapioca is because they never knew they could have different colors. That being said, it took a fair bit of effort to convince them that no, Tapioca was not a burmese python or anaconda and no, he wasn't going to eat me or my cats.
    Haha! Tapioca! I love your snake's name
    Tapioca was also my favorite childhood pudding. But that is the cutest name for a noodle XD
    My best friend is a cat.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts

Haha! Tapioca! I love your snake's name
    Tapioca was also my favorite childhood pudding. But that is the cutest name for a noodle XD
    Thank you! Bubble/boba tea has been my favorite drink I've obsessed with for ages, and I'd always love putting tapioca pearls in them! I never actually tried tapioca pudding before! I should find some! lol
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast