Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,575

2 members and 2,573 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,571
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici

Thread: Should I feed

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Should I feed

Hello

Many of you might know already but I have male banana ball who was a hardcore picky eater first 5-6 months trying to switch from live mouse to frozen rat. At almost year old, he was 200 g. Now he is eating really really well. Never skipped meals after he has switched successfully. He is growing now, at about 280grams. He gets fed every Wednesday.
    My question came up when I was feeding my other baby ball python who gets fed every 3-4 days for now. I use a splitter in the rack so when I feed one of them, other one can smell and sense. He comes out of the hide and tries to find the rat even though it has been only 3 days after he ate. Yes, he gets fed about 30g rat pup. I feel like he is trying to grow fast to catch up? Idk... is it okay to change to shorter intervals? Or I should say is it necessary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: Should I feed

Quote Originally Posted by gusanr14 View Post
    Hello

Many of you might know already but I have male banana ball who was a hardcore picky eater first 5-6 months trying to switch from live mouse to frozen rat. At almost year old, he was 200 g. Now he is eating really really well. Never skipped meals after he has switched successfully. He is growing now, at about 280grams. He gets fed every Wednesday.
    My question came up when I was feeding my other baby ball python who gets fed every 3-4 days for now. I use a splitter in the rack so when I feed one of them, other one can smell and sense. He comes out of the hide and tries to find the rat even though it has been only 3 days after he ate. Yes, he gets fed about 30g rat pup. I feel like he is trying to grow fast to catch up? Idk... is it okay to change to shorter intervals? Or I should say is it necessary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ball pythons are opportunistic predators, which means they will eat whenever the opportunity presents itself. their instinct tells them "THAT IS FOOD AND I SHOULD EAT IT" and so they display that roaming/hungry behavior whenever food is near REGARDLESS of how hungry they are.

no need to decrease the time between feedings, as you'll just get a fat snake (which are SURPRISINGLY common in this hobby!). think about them like a kid: kids like candy, so if they see candy they want candy. if the kid wanted a chocolate bar every day, would you give them one every time? nah.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 09-15-2018 at 07:29 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    Thanked 19,910 Times in 11,895 Posts
    I would caution about feeding too soon...if still digesting the previous meal, more food can cause the snake to regurgitate, & trust me, you DON'T want that.

And...too much food is unhealthy for them and likely to make them go OFF feed for a while too. Not worth the hassle, IMO.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-15-2018 at 07:31 PM.