Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,413

2 members and 3,411 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Quick Gecko Tub by Ax

ok here's a quick setup i did in about 30minutes on Satuday night in the garage for a new animal i picked up at the reptile expo earlier the day. it will work for it's temp home while i get a more permanent one set up. also good for QT. it's for aboreal geckos/lizards.

all my materials and tools:
    -- 15quart tub box, it's like 11x17x7 (previously used as BP tub w/ air holes already created)
    -- decorative manazanita wood
    -- decorative straw
    -- fake ficus plant
    -- paper towel (for substrate)
    -- newspaper (for background)
    -- hot glue gun and hot glue sticks
    -- extension cord (for hot glue gun)
    -- double sided tape
    -- tape measure
    -- wire cutter
    -- scissors
    -- garden shears

not pictured
    -- cocktail glass
    -- soldering iron
    -- UVB lighting

i had these materials lying around. here's everything:

i started by flipping the tub and hotgluing the suction of the fake ficus to what would be the ceiling of the tub. i also hotglued a 2nd point of contact to the ceiling as circled in the next pix.

i flipped the tub right side up and hotglued some leaves to the side and back walls for more stability of the ficus. i also folded and added the paper towel substrate.

i measure and cut the decorative mazanita branch to add climbing and perches - both vertical/diagonal and horizontal. i don't exactly hotglue the branch into the bottom, but the sides or corners so that i may remove the paper towel substrate as it gets soiled. also the orange circle shows where i stuck the wood through one of the air holes.

i measure and cut the decorative straw. i add and hotglue these for more stuff to climb on. and this results in a good amount of stuff to climb on and clutter. keep in mind that nothing actually touches the floor so that i may swap out my paper towel substrate.

time to add a background. i'm just using the back of a local newspaper but u can use whatever u want. so i flipped the tub, hotglue points of contact and lay the paper and cut the excess.

so far, so good. im might add, lookin' good too! so i stand the tub right side up. i add a glass w/ some water and give the enclosure a misting.

then i add my new lil buddy. he hops right in!

i add the tub lid/enclosure front:

the plastic is not completely transparent, more frosted or whatever,, but i can still see inside. i see u!

bonus pix: cute lil poop and urates.

thanks for looking!

Edit: i moved the cocktail glass to the leftside, back corner afterwards. i will probably swap it out for a more shallow glass or dish (or add less water). 1 cricket already drowned and i don't want a gecko to do the same.
    Last edited by Ax01; 07-16-2018 at 05:19 PM.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (07-16-2018)