Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,217

0 members and 3,217 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

Scale Rot ..help plz!@?

Hey all, I have a question, I will describe the situationand how it has gotten to where it is shortly, but my question is :
    Has anyone ever used BetadineFirst Aid Solutions (Povidone Iodine Antiseptic solution) to treat their snakes scale rot?

Well I cant say I didn’t try to make it a family thing, and boy am I kicking myself for it now. I know I am going to take a beating, but here goes:

I have had my Spell for over a year now and got Hollow few months afterwards, initially Spell is my dream snake (BEL) and I got Hollow to eventually start my own clown project as he is Spider Het Clown. He has sense been with my little brother, which is where my issues arise. I was eventually going to take the snake back after he goes to the Army, it was just to let him get used to the responsibilities in hopes that he will take to the hobby as well. He “tried”, and has failed.

I set him up with everything he needed to take care of the animal, gave him all the 101 stuff, printed it out and all.. have kept in communications and done my own record keeping when he would bring the snake to the house and id go over there... for the last year I have checked on him and saw no signs of neglect. I have not checked on him in the past few months as I have been moving and dealing with school. I go over the other day to pick him up as Chris is away on summer vacation, and what do I see.

Dry ass coconut husk in a glass terrarium, old shed in the tank, old poop, and no water in his dish… it took the most of me to not chock his lil ass .. But I didn’t... I can’t he is away on vacation, but we are going to have a talk and he is going to have to pay for these medical bills as my snake, from my 12 hrs of research, has Scale Rot!!

It is a small portion of his bottom part of his tail, about 3” from his butt, there are about 4-6 scales belly scales that are dry and crusty. He has some left over shed from his previous shed and his belly is pink. I’m not sure about his record keeping as showing him how I keep my records with pen and paper on all stats of when, where, how much, eat, poop, shed.. ect.. No luck with this new generation as they are just plain lazy smfh...

To put you guys minds at ease, I got paid today and my snake will see a vet ASAP but its the weekend rn, so next week if possible, I will post pics of current situation and keep you guys updated with his progress.

So my questions would be:

1. How long does it take for scale rot to set in? Like what conditions would have to be there? i saw it said moist, but his tank was dry af!
    2. Can this be due to low humidity, as the tank was dry, and he has left over shed on his nose? I read that it comes from not removing wastes and or allowing the substrate to hold too much water
    3. How would you prevent scale rot? Is there a way to at least minimize the chances? i keep my other 2 snakes on the same stats on the same thermostat, and their hum - 50-60 always .. only when in shed do i pump it up

I believe I am doing everything right with my guys but now I am taking on a whole other project with this new issue and do not want it to spread or create a like situation for my other animals.
    he is in a separate tube rn, all clean and new newspaper, water and i misted the whole tube, besides waiting on the doc visit, i just want to try to releive some of his discompfort

1. How can I treat this scale rot?

I do believe the few dry, pale, brownish-white, flaky like scales on his belly is scale rot, his belly is pink and there is a bit of a dimple where the location is on his belly. It is hard to look at and know he is in pain and discomfort smfh! Believe me I am kicking myself for not taking him back sooner... I just told him if he wasn’t going to take care of the animal then he should’ve been gave him back to me… not when you see his belly looking weird and then you like “o you can go by and pick him up” while you out of town and I get there and he is sick… smfh .. He’s lucky he’s only 17 .. I’d give him the hardest body shot right in the chest!..

But none of my violence or OUR rage will help, or could be satisfied better than if I could bring my big guy back from this situation. If anyone has had issues with this before and could shed some light on this for me. I am on here frequently all the time reading diff stuff, but this one is really hurting me inside as i trusted this lil $h!t bird.... but its my fault for trusting his lil spoiled ass.. but Any assistance on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you guy’s sooo much... have a great weekend!
    Last edited by Ronniex2; 07-13-2018 at 11:33 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: Scale Rot ..help plz!@?

Never dealt with scale rot. Not much advice to give. Most on here will ask for photos before giving advice. Best wishes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Ronniex2 (07-13-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Scale rot is normally from very high humidity/moist conditions for a long time .
    The betadine will sort if it's that, put a few drops into a tub with an inch of water but don't let the snake drink it for a bout 20mins a couple of times a week, next shed most of it will disappear, if it's that it.
    One of my little boas came with it and really wasnt happy at all when I first saw it ,she's fine like but was 2.5yrs ago

Is the snake on a regulated heat mate or a ceramic heat emitter(che) could be a burn,
    If the heat mats not been regulated properly, try post some pics if you can, things show up worst on white snakes anyway

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richardhind1972; 07-13-2018 at 12:17 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

Ronniex2 (07-13-2018)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    Get a picture up if you can. The Army will fix your brother.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-14-2018),Craiga 01453 (07-13-2018),Ronniex2 (07-13-2018)

Thanks

Yep, photo is needed. Sounds more like a burn than scale rot? Did your brother use a UTH?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Team Slytherin For This Useful Post:

Ronniex2 (07-13-2018)

Thanks

yes, but i doubt it was regulated ... meaning he took time to read the manual and set it up correctly after he switched enclosures..

i dont want to bash him too bad as i know he loves animals, so not intentinal, just careless smh

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ronniex2 For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (07-13-2018)

Thanks

he used UTH .. the thermostat and actual temp and humid, all couldnt be varified as it was assumed by me that he had read my texts, and added water and mist daily as he had a glass tank and i told him about keeping the humidity up, especially during shed.. i have fogger i gave him dammm it ! but i digress... long story short all i did was remove him from the enclosure, and put him in a small rack i just built while my other guys are in my other room in their rack.

Thanks

Hooah!!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ronniex2 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-14-2018),JodanOrNoDan (07-13-2018)

Thanks

IDK how to post onto the thread, but i did upload some pics of him from yesterday.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ronniex2 View Post
    IDK how to post onto the thread, but i did upload some pics of him from yesterday.
    hi friend! where did you upload the pictures at? maybe i can help you post them here.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

17. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Ronniex2 (07-16-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast