Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 704

0 members and 704 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Solana - Our Scaleless Sunglow Motley Corn

Quote Originally Posted by Charis View Post
    Congrats! I think I saw her on The Reptile Report. She is very well named!
    After you wrote this, I checked it out! Awesome. Front page that day! Pretty cool.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (06-11-2018)

Thanks

Solana's tank is setup. The tank I have is 21" Long X 12" Wide X11" high. It is tight! All acrylic with wire mesh at the top for lights/heat, etc. No way she's escaping this! I used to keep Figment in a 40 Gallon version until we got the Boaphile tanks. I also used that tank to Quarantine Behira for 3 months. The guys who makes them (http://reptile-enclosure.com), is in CT, where I live, and had the 14G model (the one in the picture below and measurements above) in stock. I drove down and picked it up.

I am using a 60W CHE on top for ambient/cool temps and a small UTH on the back left for belly heat.

Both are on dimmers to avoid them getting too hot and both are running off a Herpstat EZ2. I wanted a good thermostat that I can trust and has a safety shutoff, but I already have thermostats for the 3X2' Boaphile she will eventually go in. So I didn't want to go crazy and get a $400 thermostat.

I plan to keep her in here for 3 months minimum for quarantine and then move her, if big enough, into the 3X2 foot Boaphile. I assume she will need to be 25-40G (she's now 8G) to move into that, minimum. So, I'll keep here in this until it's time to move her. I have had good experience with corns in larger enclosures, as long as there are a lot of hides and water dishes, etc. I'll play that all by ear.

Note, I took the pictures while I was just starting to dial in the heat sources. I already have the CHE dialed in - 86F on the thermostat keeps it 78-79F below it and 75F on the cool side. Perfect. The UTH will keep the hot spot 84-86F.

Solana is due to come on the 6-28-18, as Katie didn't want me to set up the tank until her friend leaves (staying with us until the 19th and the next week is crazy). However, we were planning on getting another stand and cluttering the reptile area which she did not want to deal with, at least while having a guest. I have a table in there already where I keep my thermostat controls for the boaphile tanks, but it has two levels. I moved most of them to the lower level and had room to put this tank on top. In other words, no more clutter or space taken up.

Katie will either be really happy with this solution, or be really mad because she told me to wait. Either way, I wanted to make sure the thermostat worked and I could easily dial in the temps, etc. If I have to take it down until a little before Solana comes, so be it.

I'll advise on that. I'll also advise if she's happy and we can have Solana shipped sooner. Doubtful, but would be cool. She's ready to go.

Anyway, picture time.

Two notes: I quarantine in the same room as the other reptiles. However, I use different tongs, bowls, hides, etc. and always handle, clean, feed, touch the quarantine tank last and do not go back to the other tanks. I understand some people keep tanks for quarantine in other rooms, but I do not have the space for that. She will be in the finished basement with everyone else. Additionally, I bought her from Don Soderberg at South Mountain Reptiles, one of the top corn breeders in the world. I am assuming/hoping she's in good health. So, I know it's not a perfect quarantine, but I will stick to my rules and be careful, careful, careful.

Secondly, there is no way to place the probe for the CHE in the tank. Therefore, I have it secured to the wire mesh and placed under the CHE. Not the best solution, but between the dimmer and the thermostat (set to 86F and keeping it 78F below), it should work. For the record, the UTH heating probe is between the UTH and the tank.

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks

Quick update:

Katie laughed at my lack of listening skills, but was pleased with the solution, tank setup, and placement of the tank.

Don is out Field Herping but plans to be back at the facility next week.

Solana is tentatively scheduled to ship 6-20-18 and to be received by us Thursday, 6-21-18. If that changes, I will advise, otherwise, I will be anxiously waiting, especially that Thursday morning!

I'll keep everyone up to date.

Additionally, the tank is totally dialed in now.

UTH - back left corner = 85F average (hottest is 86F and coolest is 83F).

Ambient temp = 77F

Cool side (right side and front left) = 75F.

We are ready for liftoff!

Thanks

Okay, Solana is due to arrive one week from today (Thursday, 6-21-18). I am already sooooooooo excited. The tank is dialed in perfectly and I've run it for a few days and the thermostat is working great.

Now, we wait........................................

Oh, this is the worst part!

My Boaphile setup is full now, and my time devoted to the reptiles is at its max for me to still spend time with everyone. I like to take each animal out every 2-3 days. I enjoy spending time with them and I like docile animals that are used to being handled. No, I don't take them out everyday. Yes, I let the snakes digest 2 days before taking them out, etc.

So, all that equals no more animals for a long time. On one hand I am sad, but on the other, I am incredibly happy with the animals I have. They are all beautiful, healthy, and docile. I couldn't ask for more. I also feel my collection is complete. I have all the types of reptiles I want and all the morphs I want.

The point is, this is the last time I am getting up early to receive a new baby for a long, long, time. Makes me a little sad.

However, overall, I am ecstatic. Solana seems like an awesome snake and she will be a great addition to our family.

Can't wait! Can't wait!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (06-14-2018),tttaylorrr (06-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Now, we wait........................................
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

dakski (06-14-2018)

Thanks

Solana ships in two days and arrives early on Thursday morning!

It's getting sooooooooo close! So much excitement.

Alas, I must wait patiently!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Charis (06-18-2018),richardhind1972 (06-18-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

So exciting, my two new ones arnt being shipped till the 7th, everything ready for them now

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

dakski (06-18-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    So exciting, my two new ones arnt being shipped till the 7th, everything ready for them now

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk
    Nice! What are you getting?

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Hypo boas both 100%het for albino and 100% het for berry blood x, to make some sundragons and red dragons, can’t wait

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

15. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

dakski (06-18-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    Hypo boas both 100%het for albino and 100% het for berry blood x, to make some sundragons and red dragons, can’t wait

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Sweet!

You will have to post pictures......in your own thread .

Good luck with the new ones!

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast