Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
I'm also fairly new to Crested Geckos, just saying this upfront.

All my advice is solely based on my own (rather short) experience and my (rather extensive) research.

If you read information on Pages and Forums you often hear to completely leave them alone for a few weeks after every change like shipping, new home, etc. While there is the odd person that will say they handle extensively and right away.

I'm in the camp of finding a happy medium. I feel that the Gecko should be subjected to whatever it will be around for the rest of its life. Meaning no coddling as in a super quiet room where they never hear or see anything. Of course any commotion will get them upset then. My Gecko is on my desk. I watch TV on my computer at times, or have music on. He sees me coming and going, dogs running around, etc. Of course I kept everything in check at first and I do turn the lights low in my room around 9 pm.

Nothing fazes him now, not noise or people running around.

But you shouldn't purposely stress them to much either of course.

Handling..I would do like with a shy BP. Often, but not for long sessions. End on a good note.

I think the recent aggression is the "bug crazy". Crickets move fast. Cresties are SO VERY MUCH tuned in to quick movements and lunge. Mine won't even react to the Dubias when they play dead or move slow. I have to make them run, LOL. Crickets are crazier. It could be that your little one was hungry and loves those bugs now. I think in the wild the young ones do eat more bugs then the adults. Perhaps she really got a taste for them and any movement sets off the "BUG!!!" reaction and she goes for it.

When you do handle, completely ignore the lunging and open mouth or even grabbing. It can't possibly hurt. They would have to get you in a very tender spot (like in between fingers where the skin is thin) to even feel it. Do not jerk back or react in any way. Stay calm and deliberate. No jerky unsure movements. Handwalk for a minute or so, put her back.

I would continue to feed bugs, but not exclusively. They can get quite addictive to them. But I feel they should have them. They don't NEED them when on CGD, but they love them and if the insects are properly fed (well fed with quality food and a variety thereof) and well gut loaded and dusted, they are a good addition to the diet and will put some weight on them. Since yours already eats CGD I would continue bugs as well. Perhaps try Dubias. The "hunting" reaction won't be so crazy, since Dubias can play dead and are slow once they are put in the bin with the Gecko.

I think you have a hungry little one that got a taste for fast moving insects and is ready and loaded at any time. Of course at times they can get defensive, too, but gentle and deliberate handling that isn't overdone should help.

That said, I do believe there are different personalities. Some are calmer then others and despite anything you do, some will always be calmer while others are spazzier. If regular handling only ends up in a more stressed gecko despite trying for a long time, it may just be that this particular animal is going to be more of a look but don't touch one. Even then, they need to learn that sometimes they will be handled (because sometimes you have to)

I've typed this out wile being in a rush, and english is my second language, so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors

Good luck with your little one !!

Btw. Deborah and Mleedee are incredibly knowledgeable when it comes to Cresties, so if you are ever worried and need quick and experienced advise, you can pm them. I've done it before and they've been very helpful!
Thank you so so much Zina!! I was thinking to keep handing very short, 5 min max. That's a great point, with the crickets being fast and all! Do you think shed have a prob switching to dubias? (Like mice-->rats) or maybe I misunderstood that lol. And she's in my room where its where I plan for her to stay, so I think shell be used to the amount of noise. Also, this isnt too related, but when do you think I should switch her to her 18x18x24? I have it all cleaned out and everything, do you think I could switch her later this month or wait a couple years until she's bigger? Its a kinda close size to the tub shes in now, the tub is just a bit smaller.

Thanks again Zina!!! Very very helpful!!!

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk