Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,415

4 members and 3,411 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Crestie care after a dropped tail

Hey guys,

I know this isn't a forum for geckos specifically but thought maybe some would have experienced/have advice.

So, today our 3.5 year old crestie was attacked by my in-law's cat. Basically we're staying with her for the summer, the bedroom door doesn't latch, the cat got in while we were out walking the dogs and it seems like we got back just in time.

The cats were on the floor staring at something moving.. turns out it was Garrus's tail. Looked for him, realized he was in Daisey's mouth. Yelled at her. She didn't drop him, and ran away. Chased her across the house screaming before I caught her and got her to drop him. I was sure he'd be dead. He wasn't though.

He was definitely in shock, but it's been a few hours now. No puncture wounds, but some bruising where her teeth were. His skull looks slightly dented to me at the top, but feels normal and he's acting himself. So I don't know if I'm just being paranoid or what. Sitting with us calmly while we switched his tub to paper towel and gave him a misting. Normal licking his face and moving and everything.

I live in rural northern Ontario and we have pretty much zero when it comes to exotic vets here. From observing him, I'm hoping that he's going to recover and that *hopefully* nothing is terribly wrong internally.

I'm just wondering if there's anything that I should be doing for him regarding the dropped tail, other than keeping him on clean paper towel and changing it regularly. I know they restrict blood flow to the area before they drop them so there isn't bleeding, and that usually helps lower the chances of infection and encourages faster healing...

Just want to make sure I'm being the best momma possible to him right now.

Thanks for any advice, and thanks for reading through my rambling story.

Seeing him moving in the cat's mouth is probably going to give me nightmares -.- ugh.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    1.0 Clown Ball Python-Talion 1.0 Granite Corn snake-Howl 1.0 Chocolate Flame Crested Gecko-Garrus
    1.1 Cats-Kit and Mia 0.1 Dog-Jersey

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Re: Crestie care after a dropped tail

I don't have any advice or answers for you, but I hope he ends up being ok! One of our cats got one of our finches once. My husband had to pry it from it's mouth, too. I thought for sure it was a goner because there was blood and what appeared to be a puncture wound, but he made it and is still alive today.

Sent from my Vivo X using Tapatalk
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

Ashleigh91 (05-07-2018)

Thanks

I'm glad to hear it!

Honestly I was feeling really pessimistic about it earlier, but after having him out to change his tub around and seeing how normally he's acting now... I'm definitely starting to hope for the best.

Now to work on not blaming the cat.

1.0 Clown Ball Python-Talion 1.0 Granite Corn snake-Howl 1.0 Chocolate Flame Crested Gecko-Garrus

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

i just adopted my crestie on 4/22 and dove in head-first; i witnessed my first suicide jump tonight and was mortified. with this, i cannot even begin to imagine what you're feeling right now.

from what i've read: their balance will be a bit wonky but they'll be fine in a day or so there; keep things sanitary for the time being until everything looks healed; give him a day or so to relax and be on his own.

i'm so incredibly sorry this happened to you and your lil one. i'm thankful he's alive and that his defense mechanism seems to have worked as intended.

keep us posted on him!
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

I will!

Yeah, definitely giving him some peace and quiet for a day or two. Only had him out because he was on loose coconut fiber and he kept sticking his tail stump in it. Gently misted it until the fibres came off and switched to paper towel.

I'm honestly so grateful he's alive - i was sure he was dead when I was chasing that cat!! Once he's feeling better I'll get a picture of him and his newly acquired frog bum.

We were so proud of him getting to adulthood and keeping his tail! I truly beleive it saved his life though, because when we came in she had him in her mouth, but was just intently watching his tail on the ground....

A couple old pictures of him for now <3

Thanks for the support guys! Honestly nice to have someone get it. In-law was sorry, but didn't really get what the big deal was.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ashleigh91 For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (05-07-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ashleigh91 View Post
    I will!

Yeah, definitely giving him some peace and quiet for a day or two. Only had him out because he was on loose coconut fiber and he kept sticking his tail stump in it. Gently misted it until the fibres came off and switched to paper towel.

I'm honestly so grateful he's alive - i was sure he was dead when I was chasing that cat!! Once he's feeling better I'll get a picture of him and his newly acquired frog bum.

We were so proud of him getting to adulthood and keeping his tail! I truly beleive it saved his life though, because when we came in she had him in her mouth, but was just intently watching his tail on the ground....

A couple old pictures of him for now <3

Thanks for the support guys! Honestly nice to have someone get it. In-law was sorry, but didn't really get what the big deal was.

he's beautiful. with or without tail.

don't be worried about how you feel; go ahead and mourn, as your pet lost a part of themselves. it's okay to be sad! we're here for you. :hugs:

i really think his tail saved his life, so try to view the positive when you're ready! he'll see you tomorrow with that big crestie smile on his face.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-08-2018)

Thanks
    How did they get at him, did they knock the lid off?

I have bred crested geckos for a few years, and have had a few lose tails, it's no big deal, the geckos get by just fine without it and if anything seem to move even faster. Lol

The only thing that would worry me would be internal injuries, but it sounds like your vet options are limited, and most wouldn't have the know how to repair such injuries surgically. Best option is to keep him well hydrated, at optimum temps, and hope all goes well.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Alter-Echo For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-08-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alter-Echo View Post
    How did they get at him, did they knock the lid off?
    OP, this does need to be addressed. next time he won't have a tail to help.

you need to lock that enclosure down.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 05-07-2018 at 11:41 PM.
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

He's been moved and we are getting latches for the door to the room tomorrow so that I can't happen again.

He's in a tub while we are here, unfortunately didn't have room for his tank in the car with everything else, and it's a 12 hr drive so multiple trips weren't possible.

I have no idea how she got the lid of the tub off, damn cat didn't even knock the tub over. It's now on the top shelf of a 6ft bookshelf - I'm relatively certain the cat can't get up there, she is NOT what you would call graceful. The in-law's cats aren't allowed in the room, but with the door not latching she managed to pull it open. Tomorrow, we will get locks to keep it shut so that things can't be repeated -.-

Internal injuries are my worry as well, but he's not showing any tenderness - didn't shy away from being held or gently palpated when I took him out. The bruising is small, just the size of her teeth, so it's not spreading like I would expect internal bleeding to. And yeah, the vets here would basically just advise me to monitor him, and if anything serious was wrong they would euthanize him. There unfortunately isn't anyone here with the knowledge really to treat exotics.

I've put out some repashy for him, and given him a gentle mist. If he starts acting odd or seems off tomorrow I'll reassess things.

Thanks guys.

Cautiously optimistic for the time being...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ashleigh91 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    He's SO cute, I hope he recovers ok & doesn't have nightmares (I wonder if they dream?). Horribly close call, could have been worse, whew!

I have a hunch that any cats near his cage from now on would be VERY stressful for him, I hope you can avoid that. The cat may be more motivated now too?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast