Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,895

1 members and 2,894 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: Thermostats have my head spinning...

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    But isn’t the ez just a crank dial.
    yes.
    So if it’s set at 90 and power fails then it comes back it still sits at 90.
    it will not turn back on after a power failure if i'm correct.

So the ez will shut down of too hot ?
    it will turn off if something within itself fails, whether motherboard or fuse or something else.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    Now the Vivarium 300 x2 and the herp 2 are both basically the same price so now what lol

Thanks

Now the Vivarium 300 x2 and the herp 2 are both basically the same price so now what lol
    i have both brands, and IMO Herpstats are designed much better in both form and function. they will both do the exact same job and TBH you can't go wrong either way.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    So those cheap brands like the jump start for instance. They don’t kill power or auto shut off if it gets too hot ?

i know you get what you pay for and there is a reason they are cheap just curious what it is? Is it just the on off feature or what

Thanks

So those cheap brands like the jump start for instance. They don’t kill power or auto shut off if it gets too hot ?

i know you get what you pay for and there is a reason they are cheap just curious what it is? Is it just the on off feature or what
    an on/off thermostat usually has a 2° Δ (delta) which means, if the thermostat is set to 90°, it will run full blast until it hits 92°, then shut off until 88° F, and repeat. these cheap thermostats are, well, cheap, and are not made to run at these full-blast and quit conditions all day long for years like we need and are prone to fail under these conditions. since they don't have an internal safety relay to tell it that something is wrong, it will fail and run full blast 100% and cook the animal.

a proportional thermostat adjust the power output; instead of running at either 100% or 0% (i.e. on/off) it runs at 15%-45% all the time. it also can tell itself if something is wrong and turn off, instead of just running on.
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

c0r3yr0s3 (03-21-2018)

Thanks
    Thank you so much for all the help !!

i just need to decide to I go herp 6. Herp 4 and 2. Or 3 herp 2

i feel like I find more peace of mind in the separation factor.

If thag 6 fails for an odd reason then all three tanks are down.

Alsk if if I ever needed to move one or separate I can

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Correct.. They fail and fail Wide open i hear..
    As far as Herpstats.. Things to be considered. If your not having 3 enclosures stacked then you need a separate tstat for that 3rd enclosure that will be across the room. If I were you id never skimp on a Tstat. Lets say you want to go away for a long weekend, Friday thru Sunday. You cant afford to worry about power going out for 5 min and your Tstat not coming back on.
    I say grab a Herpstat 4 for the two enclosures stacked and a Herpstat 2 for the other enclosure across the room. Unlike the EZ there are several safety settings. I have mine so if a problem occurs on a channel ONLY that channel will shut off keeping all other heat sources going. That would mean your RHP or UTH would still be available. If there is a power outage it will come back on just as it was set.. You cant go wrong. Yes more money, but just as I have good brakes and tires on my Dump Truck, I wont sacrifice safety for my pets either.

Remember this is also based on 2 heating units per enclosure, thats double the Tstat cost as using just a RHP. I never asked you what your coolest home temps are? As you know I only use RHP's... If your house is 68 Minimum at night then thats a option for you too, it would save you around $300+ also.

iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    Correct.. They fail and fail Wide open i hear..
    As far as Herpstats.. Things to be considered. If your not having 3 enclosures stacked then you need a separate tstat for that 3rd enclosure that will be across the room. If I were you id never skimp on a Tstat. Lets say you want to go away for a long weekend, Friday thru Sunday. You cant afford to worry about power going out for 5 min and your Tstat not coming back on.
    I say grab a Herpstat 4 for the two enclosures stacked and a Herpstat 2 for the other enclosure across the room. Unlike the EZ there are several safety settings. I have mine so if a problem occurs on a channel ONLY that channel will shut off keeping all other heat sources going. That would mean your RHP or UTH would still be available. If there is a power outage it will come back on just as it was set.. You cant go wrong. Yes more money, but just as I have good brakes and tires on my Dump Truck, I wont sacrifice safety for my pets either.

Remember this is also based on 2 heating units per enclosure, thats double the Tstat cost as using just a RHP. I never asked you what your coolest home temps are? As you know I only use RHP's... If your house is 68 Minimum at night then thats a option for you too, it would save you around $300+ also.

iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks calm all great points. My apt is usually around 70 I’d say. Give or take a degree or two.

I’m just thinking for the extra $30 or so to get 3 herp 2 that way if I ever want to delegate the 2 stacked I can.

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Thanks calm all great points. My apt is usually around 70 I’d say. Give or take a degree or two.

I’m just thinking for the extra $30 or so to get 3 herp 2 that way if I ever want to delegate the 2 stacked I can.
    Thats correct.. I run Herp 2's myself for that reason. My 8' enclosure is in a different room and downstairs.
    Well if your in a apartment at this point you never know what the future holds. If you move and cant keep the place heated 68+ then at that point the heat tape would be a good idea.. Another words dont skimp on the Herpstat 2's even if you only use 1 heat source per enclosure for now. Get the Herp 2's so if you have a future home/apt that is cooler or to expensive to heat you just plug in some heat tape to your herp 2's instead of not having that option if you ran single channel tstats
    My home Thermostat is automatic & programmed to drop to 60 at night and 70 days to help cut heating costs.. And in the summer it runs AC at 64 degrees 24/7. I cant stand being warm after I'm in the Sun Burning all day.
    Anyways sounds like you know everything you need to so just think about it a bit before your decide.

iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

VEs are all pulse proportional. The only dimming model of VE is the 200D which is what the "D" denotes.

- - - Updated - - -

Supposedly i think Jumpstarts will kill power if they get over 110F or something like that.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast