Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,210

1 members and 3,209 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Ok! I did it ...

Well, I didn't need another snake but I did it!! These snake are like "Lays" potatoe chips, you can't just have one..LOL! Anyway, I went to the expo today and came home with a baby Hognose. I will admit they have been on my wish list, but I was on the fence about them. So many people have good and bad comments, especially when it comes to feeding them, but fingers cross that I dont have feeding issues.

I did want to ask all you current Hognose owners what size tub would be good to house him in for awhile until he gets a ittle bigger? Also what would be the ideal temp for them? I was told that if the enclosure was to big it would stress them out and cause them not to eat and that goes for having high temps in the enclosure as well... I want to make it comfortable for my guy. Any advice is appreciated

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Ok! I did it ...

WOW UNBELIEVABLE!!! Not to long ago I was giving praise to everyone on this site for acting like a community that always offers help with others with their reptiles..... So far I have had 50+ views on this thread and not a single person as stopped to offer any friendly advice to my question. Makes you kind of makes ya second guess what being a real community really means!
    Last edited by Jus1More; 03-05-2018 at 09:24 PM.

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    I can't speak for others but I viewed the thread to see what it was about but I don't keep hognose so I have nothing of value to add. There are lots of threads that talk about cage sizing, did you try doing a search? Just two topics below yours is: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...nose-cage-size
    and some great info in this thread: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ore-purchasing!

It's only been one day with no response. Heck on most other forums threads will sit for a week before someone replies or no replies at all. I think most people that are on here just don't keep hoggies. Don't get discouraged.
    For the Horde!

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-06-2018),dakski (03-05-2018),Jus1More (03-05-2018),Pengil (03-06-2018),Sonny1318 (03-06-2018),tttaylorrr (03-05-2018),Zincubus (03-06-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 617 Posts
    I don't have hognoses either, but we've had some pretty comprehensive threads covering their care here recently.

Here's a recent one: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ore-purchasing!

You should be able to get most of your questions answered along with step by step setup instructions.
    Last edited by hilabeans; 03-05-2018 at 09:49 PM.

1.0 Lesser Mojave Ball Python "Neptune"; 1.0 Western Hognose "Murray"

Lizards:
    1.0 Bearded Dragon "Nigel"

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:
    1.0 Emperor Scorpion "Boba"

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:
    "Hazelnut" & "Huckleberry"

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hilabeans For This Useful Post:

Jus1More (03-05-2018),tttaylorrr (03-05-2018),Zincubus (03-06-2018)

Thanks
    I was waiting for Deborah to say something since she has more experience than me. I've only kept Hogs for a few years, but mine have all started out in 6qt tubs and they're done well. The males usually are more picky than the females when it comes to food. If he gives you trouble you can go a little smaller and use a 2.7qt tub.

They need a little more heat than most colubrids, a hot spot of 90f is recommended and cool side temps can get into the mid-70s. It's also a good idea to give them plenty of loose substrate to burrow in. I've kept mine on aspen all their lives and they love it. The water bowl should be small, to keep the humidity down.

Hope that helps! Enjoy your new buddy.
    ~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the_rotten1 For This Useful Post:

Jus1More (03-06-2018),Zincubus (03-06-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    I can't speak for others but I viewed the thread to see what it was about but I don't keep hognose so I have nothing of value to add. There are lots of threads that talk about cage sizing, did you try doing a search? Just two topics below yours is: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...nose-cage-size
    and some great info in this thread: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ore-purchasing!

It's only been one day with no response. Heck on most other forums threads will sit for a week before someone replies or no replies at all. I think most people that are on here just don't keep hoggies. Don't get discouraged.
    I agree with AbsoluteApril here. I viewed, also to see what it's about, but have zero knowledge on hognose.

I have had similar slow response times, and not many answers to questions, regarding Corn snakes, Blue Tongue Skinks, Leopard Geckos, and to a lesser extent, BCI's (there is a growing Boa community here). BP's are another story.

I would take a deep breath, give it a little time, and appreciate what help you do get. Hognose are not nearly as common, especially for users on this site, as other species, again, like BP's.

I do think we have a great community here. I check and contribute to the site often, and frankly, today was also a very slow day for the site, from what I could see.

Good luck with your new addition. Keep us posted, and most important, if you learn something along the way, please share with others so they can learn from you. I think it would be cool if more people were talking species other than just BP's. This site is such a resource and I have seen it grow into more of a reptile forum, and less of a BP forum (in a good way), over the years. I hope you and others continue to make this site a reptile destination.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (03-06-2018),Craiga 01453 (03-06-2018),Jus1More (03-06-2018),Zincubus (03-06-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

quickly chiming in to say i'm completely ignorant to hoggie care and was hoping Deborah or craigafrechette word chime in to help.

you're not ignored.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-06-2018),Jus1More (03-06-2018),Zincubus (03-06-2018)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jus1More View Post
    WOW UNBELIEVABLE!!! Not to long ago I was giving praise to everyone on this site for acting like a community that always offers help with others with their reptiles..... So far I have had 50+ views on this thread and not a single person as stopped to offer any friendly advice to my question. Makes you kind of makes ya second guess what being a real community really means!
    Food for the thoughts, patience goes a long way but maybe the impatience is due to the fact that the purchase was made first and questions ask later additionally while 50 people may have viewed that thread it does not mean that they know anything about hognose.

Now to the answers

I keep hatchlings until they reach 10/20 grams (depending on how they do really) in pencil tubs (see C-serpent rack http://cserpents.com/C_Serpents_Hot_Box/Colubrid.html) , when I only had a handful of them I would keep them in stand alone 2.7 modular latch box tub https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite...-Unit/55413807 (How big or small will depends on how good of a feeder the animal is, (they can be tricky if not well started or fully converted and or if their needs are not met)

from 20 to 150 grams I keep them in V18 but 6 quarts tub will do as well, after that they are ready for their permanent enclosure 20 gallons tank or V 35 S tub or sterilite 32 quarts tub.

Over the years I have changed things around but this is how I keep them now.

Tempertures I have experimented for several years and like BP I do not keep Hognose as hot as I used to however for a first time owner I will recommend slightly higher temps 80-82 and 90-92
    Deborah Stewart

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

andrewross8705 (03-06-2018),dakski (03-06-2018),Kira (03-06-2018),MissterDog (03-06-2018),Pengil (03-06-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jus1More View Post
    Easy there. It's understandable to get frustrated but I think you're taking things too personally. Keep in mind, just because people are viewing a thread doesn't mean they are immediately available either. It takes a lot of time and thought to give good advise, especially if they are on the go. Maybe they are out at a restaurant and idly checking their phone while waiting for their food. Maybe they only had time to skim the thread but have to drop off kids to school or are in the middle or something important that they can't put on hold. Maybe they were shopping, maybe they were running errands. Maybe they were at work. Maybe they even lost data/wifi. There are countless reasons why people are busy.

Or as pointed out earlier, people just don't know about hognoses.

People have lives outside of the forum and different schedules. Sometimes it wont match up to your needs when you want it to. I think it's unfair to judge a community because members are not rushing to take time out of their day and drop everything just for you. Just food for though to think outside of your perspective.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-06-2018),Kira (03-06-2018),Pengil (03-06-2018),Zincubus (03-06-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    Easy there. It's understandable to get frustrated but I think you're taking things too personally. Keep in mind, just because people are viewing a thread doesn't mean they are immediately available either. It takes a lot of time and thought to give good advise, especially if they are on the go. Maybe they are out at a restaurant and idly checking their phone while waiting for their food. Maybe they only had time to skim the thread but have to drop off kids to school or are in the middle or something important that they can't put on hold. Maybe they were shopping, maybe they were running errands. Maybe they were at work. Maybe they even lost data/wifi. There are countless reasons why people are busy.

Or as pointed out earlier, people just don't know about hognoses.

People have lives outside of the forum and different schedules. Sometimes it wont match up to your needs when you want it to. I think it's unfair to judge a community because members are not rushing to take time out of their day and drop everything just for you. Just food for though to think outside of your perspective.
    Sorry @MissterDog that you felt like being on the defensive with your response. I clearly did not mean to sound rude or disrespect... I am just a simple person who uses this site to help better myself in helping my collection.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast