Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,380

1 members and 3,379 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 602 Posts

Re: Vitamins for Freddi (ball python)?

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    "they" obviously don't know what they're talking about. ball pythons don't need sunlight to survive/thrive. i do not know of any pet snakes that need supplements or require sunlight.
    Garters and diamond pythons do better when provided with UVB -- and I think some people (at least in this garter FB group I'm in) add calcium supplements to their garter food. That might only be if/when they're feeding worms, though. Garters are weird lol. Most snakes seem to bask more when provided UVB, but that's mostly anecdotal. Corn snakes have scientifically shown a rise in D3 levels with given access to UVB. So, I wouldn't say they don't 'require' sunlight... just that it's possible for them to survive without it, if that makes any sense.
    0.1 Red Axanthic P. regius | Mazikeen
    E. climacophora | Lan Fan
    C. paulsoni | Inej

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Starscream For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (02-21-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    Garters and diamond pythons do better when provided with UVB -- and I think some people (at least in this garter FB group I'm in) add calcium supplements to their garter food. That might only be if/when they're feeding worms, though. Garters are weird lol. Most snakes seem to bask more when provided UVB, but that's mostly anecdotal. Corn snakes have scientifically shown a rise in D3 levels with given access to UVB. So, I wouldn't say they don't 'require' sunlight... just that it's possible for them to survive without it, if that makes any sense.
    interesting! i learn something new every day here. your input is much appreciated!!!
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

I am appreciating everyone's feedback sooo much. Everyone of you is amazing!!! I was, however, unaware that people kept garter snakes as pets. My apologies but, they eat worms??? Just so everyone is aware Freddi is outside a lot with my kids and I so he gets ample 🌞. I have learned so much with this thread. Thanks to everyone!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PandaBurrr View Post
    I was, however, unaware that people kept garter snakes as pets. My apologies but, they eat worms???
    Some garters can -- some won't eat worms if their lives depended on it. It depends on the locality, but garters generally have an extremely varied diet that makes up for any deficiencies, like worms have. It's usually advised to upgrade them to mice as soon as they're able, or at least feed them pieces of mice pinkies within their diet. They're smol babs. And garters come in lots of colorful varieties, and have lots of interesting social behaviors that most other snakes don't typically display, and therefore make interesting pets.
    C. paulsoni | Inej

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    So long as you give him a whole rodent diet of proper size he will get everything he needs from the bones of the rodent. A recent study was even done on ball pythons and it was found that they do not produce and or synthesize vitamin D3 from UVB exposure so they have even less reason to get supplements. Some snakes do benefit from UVB but ball pythons are not one of those snakes.
    Could you post the link to that study, sounds rather interesting.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    Is there a study or anything on that for Diamond Pythons? I've been looking into them, the cooling and the price of entry is a bit daunting but it's always cool to read about them.
    Edit: While anecdotal, I did hear that Bredli's showed brighter coloration when exposed to UVB. I have one of of those Zoo Med double domes on my IJ's tank so I may throw a UVB on a timer and see if it affects her behavior.
    Last edited by MD_Pythons; 02-21-2018 at 10:11 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MD_Pythons View Post
    Is there a study or anything on that for Diamond Pythons? I've been looking into them, the cooling and the price of entry is a bit daunting but it's always cool to read about them.
    Edit: While anecdotal, I did hear that Bredli's showed brighter coloration when exposed to UVB. I have one of of those Zoo Med double domes on my IJ's tank so I may throw a UVB on a timer and see if it affects her behavior.
    Not so far as I'm aware, but they are highly susceptible to MBD, which leads me to believe that UVB can only benefit them, as well as general proper care and wintertime cooling.

This is the only thing I could find regarding UVB and diamond pythons: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...52353484849652

Also, if that BP study is the one I'm thinking of, they only used 6 female adult ball pythons for their UVB group.... and to quote Frances Baines:

Quote Originally Posted by Frances Baines
    All the females in the experimental group (a batch from one owner) had extremely high 25(OH)D3 levels initially, compared to the control group (a batch from another owner) so the groups were not comparable from the start. Also, the females in both groups had far higher 25(OH)D3 levels than the males, both at the start and the end... the authors discuss the possibility of egg production stimulating raised serum 25(OH)D3 levels in these females. This surely raises the question as to whether, if vitamin D3 synthesis was indeed occurring in the females given UVB, any extra produced could have been transferred to developing eggs - which require high levels of vitamin D for embryonic development.
    Last edited by Starscream; 02-21-2018 at 10:34 PM.
    C. paulsoni | Inej

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Starscream For This Useful Post:

MD_Pythons (02-21-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12