Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,422

1 members and 3,421 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Piebald Ghost help

Hope this is alright to post with the links. Can I get some help clarifying something?
    I was messing around on Morph Market and Genetic Wizard and was seeing results of breeding different morphs I like with a female Ghost ( that’s the only bp I have and though I don’t plan to breed I can’t help but look around lol).
    I was on Morph Market looking at Ghost’s and saw a Ghost Pied from Bob Clark https://www.morphmarket.com/us/c/rep...-pythons/87439 and in all honesty I was curious as to why he was priced as he was. I got on Genetic Wizard and threw Pied in with a Ghost and the results were 100% Double Het Piebald Ghost. http://www.worldofballpythons.com/wi...e=83&female=28
    Does that mean the babies would all be normal and het for both Pied and Ghost? And then rarely you’d get a visual Ghost Pied (hence the price tag)? Or are the visual for one or the other gene and het for both?
    If someone could explain that to me I’d really appreciate!
    Bearded Dragons: 0.2 Normal (Mufasa), Normal (Norberta)
    Cat: 0.1 Tortoiseshell (Butterscotch)
    Ball Pythons: 0.1 Ghost (Olympia)
    Hermit Crabs 1.1 Purple Pincher (Tyler), Purple Pincher (Londyn Raine)

BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts

Re: Piebald Ghost help

Quote Originally Posted by Reptimom View Post
    Hope this is alright to post with the links. Can I get some help clarifying something?
    I was messing around on Morph Market and Genetic Wizard and was seeing results of breeding different morphs I like with a female Ghost ( that’s the only bp I have and though I don’t plan to breed I can’t help but look around lol).
    I was on Morph Market looking at Ghost’s and saw a Ghost Pied from Bob Clark https://www.morphmarket.com/us/c/rep...-pythons/87439 and in all honesty I was curious as to why he was priced as he was. I got on Genetic Wizard and threw Pied in with a Ghost and the results were 100% Double Het Piebald Ghost. http://www.worldofballpythons.com/wi...e=83&female=28
    Does that mean the babies would all be normal and het for both Pied and Ghost? And then rarely you’d get a visual Ghost Pied (hence the price tag)? Or are the visual for one or the other gene and het for both?
    Looks like you need to do some reading up on basic genetics to see how recessive genes work and there are plenty of threads to help you out. But yes, You're correct, you won't ever get a visual if only 1 parent carries the recessive gene.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hannahshissyfix For This Useful Post:

Reptimom (02-01-2018),Stewart_Reptiles (02-01-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reptimom View Post
    both Ghost (Hypo, Orange Ghost) and Piebald are recessive genes. you need two copies of the gene to have a visual representation of the gene.

Piebald x Ghost pairing would result in a clutch of all Normal double het Piebald and Ghost babies.

so yes, you are correct. recessive genes are always more expensive as, i stated above, they take two copies (aka breeding two animals with the gene) of the recessive gene. here's a great resource on this.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Reptimom (02-01-2018),Stewart_Reptiles (02-01-2018)

Thanks

HannahLou lol, yeah, I probably do need a refresher. Like I said I'm not into breeding and was just looking around and got curious. Thank you!
    And tttaylorrr awesome, thank you for the explanation! I'll check out the link, thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    u will have like a 1/16 (or 6.25%) chance per egg of hatching a Ghost Pied from a double het Ghost Pied pairing. it takes genetics, patience, odds and will to produce some of these beautiful animals.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Reptimom (02-01-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    I'm sure when the Ghost Pied ball pythons first came out they were probably $10,000 or more per snake. It takes a long time to make a double recessive snake. First you would have to buy a pied and a ghost, if you bought them as hatchlings you would have to wait 2-3 years before they were ready to breed. Then breed them and make double hets that look like normals, so a whole clutch of hatclhings that aren't worth very much and not visually appealing LOL. Then you would wait another 2-3 years to raise up the hets and breed those. The results are below. Only 1 out of 16 would be a visual. Depending on how many hets you raised up it could take many years before you even get a visual, with a clutch of 6-7 eggs it could take 3-4 years before you hit a visual.

Then if you wanted a male and female visual ghost pied to raise up so you could get a whole clutch of visuals you would need another 2-3 years on top of that. So you are looking at probably 10+ years of trying to make this snake plus you would have a lot of possible hets and normals along the way. That's why the price is so high. Once they are on the market for awhile the price drops because people can buy two ghost pieds and get a whole clutch of ghost pieds. If you tried for a triple recessive it could take a lifetime starting from scratch.

Percent Fraction Genes
    6.25 % 1/16 Normal (Wild Type, Classic)
    12.5 % 1/8 Het Piebald
    12.5 % 1/8 Het Ghost
    6.25 % 1/16 Piebald (pied)
    6.25 % 1/16 Ghost (Hypo)
    25 % 1/4 Double Het Ghost Piebald
    12.5 % 1/8 Ghost (Hypo) Het Piebald
    12.5 % 1/8 Piebald (pied) Het Ghost
    6.25 % 1/16 Hypo Pied (Ghost Pied)
    Last edited by cchardwick; 02-01-2018 at 07:08 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cchardwick For This Useful Post:

Reptimom (02-01-2018)

Thanks

Ax01 thanks, I have a ton of respect for breeders who are so hardworking and patient to make all these morphs, its amazing.

cchardwick Wow thank you for explaining it all so thoroughly!! Makes more sense now.

Thanks
    Unless you started with hets then it would take much longer. Het pied Het pied to get pied. Then het Hypo to Het Hypo to get Hypo. First try, maybe, but what if you got all males the first try? Then you would have to try again just to get a female. Etc. etc.
    Nothing