Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,327

1 members and 3,326 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Hat's off to Giant Python Keepers!

I met Sunny, an adult Albino Burmese Python, today (pictures below).

WOW! He's "only" about 14-15FT and 80-100 pounds (best guess). He is a gentle giant and awesome. However, a HANDFUL and then some!

My BCI will be about 6-8 FT when full grown (female ivory ghost het moonglow who is only 1 1/2 now) and around 12-17 pounds. That's all the handful I need!

My ball is about 4ft and 3.7 pounds! I was amazed that Sunny was as gentle as my BCI and BP!

Must hit hard when he eats though!

He lives at a (fairly) local reptile pet shop/breeder in my area. About 40 minutes away. Worth the trip to get supplies and not support big chains, but this place instead.

Sunny's "job" is to perform at educational shows, birthday parties, etc.

I might have seen a Burmese in the zoo, or at shows, but never sat with one and/or picked one up. I helped get him back in his enclosure - meaning I got about 1/2 of him! That was a lot!

OMG! So heavy! So big! That's a lot of snake! Way more than I could ever handle, even if they all were as gentle as Sunny.

Hat's off to all you Giant Snake keepers! I have a lot more respect for you after today.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (02-01-2018),Ronniex2 (02-01-2018),Team Slytherin (02-01-2018),tttaylorrr (02-01-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    You forgot the most important part, the poops!! Caesar is only about 7-8 ft and he poops like a small child. Rosey my 6.5 ft BCI is a close second though as her poops are nothing to sneeze at either haha.

Burms from what i have seen are pretty laid back. Try holding a retic. My god, they are like a kid on a king size Snickers bar. When Caesar wants to go, its everything to try and keep up with him. I'm switching hands and trying to reel him in as fast as i can. He is awesome though and has never bit me or tried. Recently though, he has been anti social and last night, he was out and when i opened the cage to say hi, he looked at me and went inside his hide lol. I wonder if he's getting ready to look for a girlfriend. Hopefully if so, then maybe I lucked out with just having an anti social boy when he wants a girl over an aggressive boy.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (02-01-2018),dakski (02-01-2018)

Thanks

Re: Hat's off to Giant Python Keepers!

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    You forgot the most important part, the poops!! Caesar is only about 7-8 ft and he poops like a small child. Rosey my 6.5 ft BCI is a close second though as her poops are nothing to sneeze at either haha.

Burms from what i have seen are pretty laid back. Try holding a retic. My god, they are like a kid on a king size Snickers bar. When Caesar wants to go, its everything to try and keep up with him. I'm switching hands and trying to reel him in as fast as i can. He is awesome though and has never bit me or tried. Recently though, he has been anti social and last night, he was out and when i opened the cage to say hi, he looked at me and went inside his hide lol. I wonder if he's getting ready to look for a girlfriend. Hopefully if so, then maybe I lucked out with just having an anti social boy when he wants a girl over an aggressive boy.

Sunny was totally chill. Like a big BP or BCI.

LOL! Not looking forward to Behira's (my BCI) poop when she is as big as Rosey! I am actually sensitive to smells and have a weak stomach due to meds I have to take because of my kidney transplant!

Having said that, in my experience with Behira and my BP, Shayna, boid poop, especially rat poop, isn't even as bad as Figment's (my adult corn) mouse poo! Ugh. I can smell that across the room!

Either way, I will get used to it, and do what needs to be done! I love Behira and am excited to see her as a gentle giant, well small giant compared to Sunny!

Not anxious to hold a big retic like Caesar if he's all over the place. Very cool he's got personality though! That's one of the things I love about Behira - inquisitive and active, but super tame. Although I think I might be a BCI whisperer. Half the time I hold Behira, and support her, she just relaxes and rests on me. My BP too. Shayna (my BP) will literally fall asleep while I hold her. Behira will stay still for a long time after doing her initial exploring. Of course then I hand her to my fiancé, and she's all over the place! Trying to get into the couch, won't sit still, etc!

I use this: http://www.reptilebasics.com/healthy-habitat-24oz when I clean out stinky reptile cages. I spray before and after clean up. Works really well.

How big will Caesar get? Is he a dwarf?

Either way, hat's off Sauzo!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Thanks. Yes Caesar is a 37.5% SD, 31.5% dwarf white albino tiger het snow male. He is a giant lush. Loves attention most of the time. This is the first time he actually didnt come to me when i opened his door. Usually he is all over me when I'm trying to clean poop, either trying to climb out onto me or trying to sit on my hand lol. Caesar will be 2 years old this coming May. I got a progression thread on him from when i got him back in Oct 2016 as a little 5 month old worm. But here is a pic of him awhile ago after a guinea pig or jumbo rat...dont remember now lol.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

The poop I could care less about.. Its the Gallon of piss that follows a couple Uraites. MR drank like a Camel then shot water across the 8' enclosure like a Super Soaker... Hope everyone buying these Hatchlings (I've seen several lately) has a Tile Floor in their snake room because theres no containing a dripping Giant Snake when you take them out to clean the enclosure hahahahahaha
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (02-01-2018),Bogertophis (03-21-2019),Craiga 01453 (02-01-2018),GoingPostal (02-01-2018)

Thanks

Sounds awesome!

Love the super soaker analogy.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (02-01-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post

Burms from what i have seen are pretty laid back. Try holding a retic. My god, they are like a kid on a king size Snickers bar.
    Oh Sauzo, always a way with words, hahahaha!

I also admire the giant keepers out there. I have decided though, that my limit is simple. If i can't easily handle the snake on my own for its entire life or my entire life, it's too much snake for me to have in my house.
    I would love a retic or a yellow anaconda. But I would also love a tiger and polar bear. It's just simply not an option. And with so many other amazing snake species to choose from I'm fine admiring the giants when I get the chance.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 02-01-2018 at 11:40 AM.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-21-2019),CALM Pythons (02-01-2018),dakski (02-01-2018),Sauzo (02-01-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts
    Hats off to you as well guys! Your level of experience, commitment, and courage to keep one of these majestic animals is impressive.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    i agree! many thanks and all the accolades to those who work with the giants and share them with us!!! i enjoy all the giants posts and admire from afar. nobody can just buy a burm or a retic (okay you know what i mean); it takes a huge amount of dedication, money and work, and those of you on here with these giants do a friggin' excellent job IMO. it's really fun to read through your threads and see your comparisons on behavior, appetite and food, weights and lengths and general anecdotes; very informative!

thank you for sharing these giant joys with us.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

15. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

RickyNY (02-02-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    I can't decide if being able to handle over 100 pounds of muscle or tolerating a small child sized poop and pee constantly is more impressive. For example, I adore black and white tegus but the bathtub filling defecation they do is more than I can tolerate.
    Last edited by SDA; 02-01-2018 at 01:05 PM.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

dakski (02-03-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast