Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,387

0 members and 3,387 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks

Re: Help! Eggs out of no where!

Quote Originally Posted by Kcl View Post
    It sounds to me like you've planned out a solid path forward - glad to hear it. Also, tubs, particularly for a single snake, really don't have to be the minimalistic route that people with a larger number of ball pythons have. Mine, which I used for my ball python until I upgraded him to his pvc enclosure, is very oversized compared to the recommended and has a removable wooden perch for climbing in addition to all the fake foliage and such (cheaply and easily made with a wooden dowel and eye hooks). With a little creativity, it's a good option for even those who want to give a more complex set-up but are waiting on making the big investments for whatever reason.
    See, I had not really thought about that.
    My biggest issue with rack/tub, and why I did not go for them, is that all the ones I ever see are paper bottomed with a water bowl and single hide inside. I just felt taking a BP that has lived it's whole life in a bigger cage with a heat lamp spot and branch/fake foliage and space and putting it inside a box would be a little stressful for it...But, maybe they would not care either way, they are "just snakes" lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Viper0hr View Post
    My biggest issue with rack/tub, and why I did not go for them, is that all the ones I ever see are paper bottomed with a water bowl and single hide inside. I just felt taking a BP that has lived it's whole life in a bigger cage with a heat lamp spot and branch/fake foliage and space and putting it inside a box would be a little stressful for it...But, maybe they would not care either way, they are "just snakes" lol.
    look up user @Starscream and look and their tub setup for their jeuvinal Mazikeen. it's one of the most beautiful tubs i've ever seen; they did a fantastic job. you just gotta get creative!

EDIT: here's a link to Starscream's thread!
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show....php?p=2585566
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 02-01-2018 at 09:40 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

Nah, at the end of the day a tub is just a kind of container. As long as you have a way to keep the ambient temperatures up decently, you can grab the biggest one you can find and put anything you want in there. Use coco-fiber, put in live lucky bamboo, put in fake foliage, put in branches, put in moss - I've had all of that in a tub. I like pvc better because there's better options for raising ambient temperatures, but you can make a pretty complex setup in a $20 plastic tub.

1.0 Pastel yellowbelly ball python -Pipsy
    2.0 Checkered garter snakes - Hazama & Relius
    1.0 Dumeril's boa - Bazil

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kcl View Post
    Nah, at the end of the day a tub is just a kind of container. As long as you have a way to keep the ambient temperatures up decently, you can grab the biggest one you can find and put anything you want in there. Use coco-fiber, put in live lucky bamboo, put in fake foliage, put in branches, put in moss - I've had all of that in a tub. I like pvc better because there's better options for raising ambient temperatures, but you can make a pretty complex setup in a $20 plastic tub.
    Yeah, I just checked out Starscreams tub setup taylor recommended above, I may do that actually. Is a UTH good enough for a setup like that though? I like the idea of there being light/basking heat if possible.
    Last edited by Viper0hr; 02-01-2018 at 09:58 PM.

Thanks

Yeah, I just checked out Starscreams tub setup taylor recommended above, I may do that actually. Is a UTH good enough for a setup like that though? I like the idea of there being light/basking heat if possible.
    UTH is sufficient if the ambient temperature of wherever you're putting it is sufficient. Other methods of providing additional heat are a bit tricky, but possible if you get creative. Some people have replaced a section of the tub lid with wire mesh to allow for an overhead CHE to be placed. I personally set up a CHE using one of those stick on lamp stands zip tied to a stand alone toilet-paper holder so it's kind of like a desk lamp type setup and could be placed so it's above the tub. It wasn't the best aesthetics (although at least you couldn't tell it was a toilet-paper holder), but it worked. On the easier side of things, small space heaters work for raising ambient temps too.

1.0 Pastel yellowbelly ball python -Pipsy
    2.0 Checkered garter snakes - Hazama & Relius
    1.0 Dumeril's boa - Bazil

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kcl For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (02-01-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Hindsight will always be 20/20 and I do apologize, I did not intend for my post to sound so 'mean'. I'll please tiredness in how harsh it sounded.

I wanted to point out that there's always cheaper alternatives than the really nice fancy caging. It's always preferable to get the snakes into healthy caging, even if you intend to buy the really nice cages later on. So tubs to get them set, and later the fancy caging. Then you'll also have a tub(s) set up to use if you need to quarantine or move a snake somewhere... or just for a friend who needs caging because they impulse got a snake(there's always one of those friends).

You honestly sound like a pretty level headed person and I'm sure that you'll get everything sorted in short order.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    Hindsight will always be 20/20 and I do apologize, I did not intend for my post to sound so 'mean'. I'll please tiredness in how harsh it sounded.

I wanted to point out that there's always cheaper alternatives than the really nice fancy caging. It's always preferable to get the snakes into healthy caging, even if you intend to buy the really nice cages later on. So tubs to get them set, and later the fancy caging. Then you'll also have a tub(s) set up to use if you need to quarantine or move a snake somewhere... or just for a friend who needs caging because they impulse got a snake(there's always one of those friends).

You honestly sound like a pretty level headed person and I'm sure that you'll get everything sorted in short order.
    Thanks, even with the "being mean", I try and take it for what it is, honest criticism.

I am in the process of setting up 2 tub setups on a vertical shelf instead of the current long tank, and should have it done and the snakes moved over in a week or less. I plan on using the 41qt sizes but are higher (I think they are 100L or something), to provide more room for climbing and a lamp for each snake in addition to heat tape.

Thanks

Not going to get into any of the housing topics as they have been covered pretty well, just thought I'd add that with the male being re-homed and all and animal plastics cage may be more doable. I know that they have sales a few times a year (and a big one near Christmas of course). I waited myself to purchase one for my snake until they went on sale.

Good luck
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234