Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,057

0 members and 3,057 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,112
Threads: 248,550
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NxtGenExotics
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Is Misting Harmful?

I've just been told by someone that misting snakes will give them RIs (I get how this would happen with a lot of snakes, but the one we're talking about is a BP whose humidity is hard to keep up without misting)

I'm assuming this is total BS because literally everyone seems to mist their BPs- I've never heard of it harming one as long as you don't let it get too high. Plus they're from the FB group "Ball Python Enthusiasts", which on top of being sceptical about 99% of FB reptile groups I've read some pretty bad things about.

If this is true I'll stop right away and try to find some alternatives :)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: Is Misting Harmful?

it's only harmful if the ambient temps are too low. consistent low temps + consistent high humidity = RI

EDIT: also it can be harmful if you're misting to the point of absolutely soaking the substrate. consistently wet substrate and lead to scale rot.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 01-04-2018 at 08:28 PM. Reason: consistent
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

BluuWolf (01-05-2018),Craiga 01453 (01-05-2018),vivi (04-03-2020),WastelandExotics (01-06-2018),zina10 (01-04-2018)

Thanks
    On a side note, if you're misting daily you might want to use a substrate that holds humidity better. I was told before not to mist aspen too much as it will rot quickly. I think a lot of people use coco husk to keep humidity up.
    1.1 Humans (Dom & Cait)
    0.1 Normal Ball (Wanda 'Booper') 0.1 Pastel Ball (Peaches)
    1.0 Spider Ball (Cinnamon) 1.0 Caramel Ball (Mars Bar) 1.0 Butter Sucker (Orion)
    0.1 Leopard Gecko (Hecate)
    0.3 Cats (Loki, Meg and Maisy)
    0.0.2 Goldfish (Sushi and Spot)
    0.2 Chickens (Lottie and Tiffany)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Booper For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-05-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    Respiratory infections in ball pythons are due to improper husbandry and allowing substrate to become a breeding ground for infectious agents. Simple misting will not cause a respiratory infection if your snake is healthy and you husbandry is on point. RIs can happen from both end of the humidity spectrum (too low or too high) for too long. Too low for too long and they can start to suffer not being able to maintain a proper humidity level in their lungs. Too high and they can contract any number of infectious substances if the substrate is allowed to stay too damp and become a breeding ground. They can also contract viral respiratory infections from close exposure to other reptiles not properly quarantined.

Now improper use of misting devices and foggers never being properly cleaned can introduce things into an enclosure that could increase the chance of a respiratory infection. Foggers are especially unwanted as many people do not thoroughly clean them and run them too long leading to excessive moisture in the enclosure.

Temperature comes into play when you have it so low a snake can not properly regulate and their immune system crashes. Low temps on their own are not causes of RIs but can weaken a snake and make them susceptible. Higher temps can in some cases actually kick off a snake's immune system and help stave off minor infections. Much like how you have a fever when you have a cold.

So if you have heard of misting causing RI it most likely is anecdotal evidence from someone who had terrible husbandry and had allowed a sick snake to live in substandard conditions for far too long. Husbandry mistakes and poor cleaning routines increase the chance of RIs, not misting.

In short, follow good husbandry as well as quarantining all new snakes and you should never have to worry about a respiratory infection
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Everything that everyone told you is correct.

To say "misting gives snakes RI" is misleading and incorrect. I mist my snakes whenever they are in shed, they have survived this for many years.

Can it be done incorrectly? Yes, but so can everything else you may do with your animals.

That said, I joined that facebook group a year ago and then removed myself a couple of days later, without ever posting a single post. Never saw a more self righteous, "know it all" and vicious group of people in this hobby before.

Anyway, it is in bad taste to badmouth one forum in another so I won't say anymore about that. Simply this...don't believe everything some people say, even if they will try to beat into you that they, and only they are right.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

9. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,874 Times in 4,783 Posts
    Bear in mind that this time of year the water that comes out of your tap is a lot colder than normal and your home's ambient temp may also be cooler than normal. So, when you do mist, make sure you either fill your spray bottle with warmed water, or you fill it up after misting and let it sit until the next day when you mist again. If you mist with cold water straight out of the tap then yes you can easily end up with a sick snake.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (01-05-2018),Sunnieskys (01-05-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Booper View Post
    On a side note, if you're misting daily you might want to use a substrate that holds humidity better. I was told before not to mist aspen too much as it will rot quickly. I think a lot of people use coco husk to keep humidity up.
    i use reptichip and still have issues, but i live in the north and having to run the heat for the next 6 months drys out the whole house

Thanks

I would generally avoid spraying the snake directly with water. Most don't seem to like it, and it can throw off their thermoregulation. Just make sure the bedding isn't soaked, and you can even try mixing the bedding after you spray. I use coconut fiber like EcoEarth and change it if it gets too dry. I also use room temp water that has been sitting for some time, so it's not cold or hot and so any bad chemicals can evaporate.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I mist my snake's tank when she's in shed and her humidity needs bumped up. I see no harm in it, especially if the cage needs a humidity increase.

The Ball Python Enthusiast FB group is absolutely terrible, IMO. Everybody was so mean to each other, and everybody's opinions were so extreme. I understand wanting the best for reptiles and being exhausted from inexperienced owners making common mistakes, but some stuff is just overwhelmingly unnecessary: 1. misting gives your snakes an RI; 2. coco fiber suffocates your snake; 3. if you aren't using a tub/rack system then your snake is probably already dead. I have no issue with people who prefer specific methods of BP keeping, but to preach it as The Only Way is insufferable.

Not to promote this group or anything, but the FB group "you ain't seen my balls" is a lot more tolerable. Aside from that, I tend to be in herp groups that are more all-encompassing (not species-specific) and research-based. I love learning about herps.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

I defy anyone to read the books by John Berry, Kevin McCurley and the Barkers and still think there is only one way to keep these animals well. The biggest lesson we ever learn is we do not know everything.

The process of animal keeping is based, at heart, in learning to understand and react to what the individual animals are telling you - though I still have no idea what Belle is trying to communicate when she sticks her head under water and blows bubbles at me!

So, er.. yeah, learning ( in whichever group/ website/ forum ) should be the main focus.

( sorry I got distracted - carry on with your regular discussion )

del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast