Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,530

3 members and 2,527 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,571
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
    Thanks

Heating an Awkward PVC Cage (NPI)

Hey there!

I've decided to go with the 3 ft. slanted NPI cage (http://www.npicages.com/s36t_npi_36_...tile_cage.html) for my ball python. The trouble is, I'm not sure the best way to heat it. Here are the options as I can see them. I'd love any advice you guys have!

1. RHP: I have no idea if this will work with this cage due to the slanted top. It's what i had originally planned to use based on what I've heard about safety.

2. CHE + UTH: I have a herpstat so I can regulate everything, but do these still pose a greater fire risk compared to RHPs? I can't seem to find a definitive answer on this. Also worried about loss of humidity with the CHE.

So clearly, my major concerns are maintaining humidity/temp and reducing the risk of a fire.

Please let me know if y'all have any advice!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: Heating an Awkward PVC Cage (NPI)

Quote Originally Posted by animalrie View Post
    Hey there!

I've decided to go with the 3 ft. slanted NPI cage (http://www.npicages.com/s36t_npi_36_...tile_cage.html) for my ball python. The trouble is, I'm not sure the best way to heat it. Here are the options as I can see them. I'd love any advice you guys have!

1. RHP: I have no idea if this will work with this cage due to the slanted top. It's what i had originally planned to use based on what I've heard about safety.

2. CHE + UTH: I have a herpstat so I can regulate everything, but do these still pose a greater fire risk compared to RHPs? I can't seem to find a definitive answer on this. Also worried about loss of humidity with the CHE.

So clearly, my major concerns are maintaining humidity/temp and reducing the risk of a fire.

Please let me know if y'all have any advice!
    any kind of electrical equipment can pose a fire hazard when used INCORRECTLY. your microwave can be a fire hazard; your cellphone charger could be a fire hazard. the important thing is safety and some common sense!

any heating element that is properly regulated and not touching anything flammable is safe. i have used both RHP as well as UTH + CHE and you just need to use basic safety measures (regulation, not touching anything).

i apologize for chiming in without owning a NPI but i figured i could help answer your other questions. CHEs are better at not drying out the enclosure compared to IR bulbs but you will need to do some daily misting to keep things in the correct range. if it really becomes an issue, some sphagnum moss or a damp hand towel placed in the enclosure/on top of a hide should provide enough humidity. these are well-made PVC enclosures so i wouldn't worry too much about losing humidity with either option you choose.

if the enclosure supports it, absolutely go for the RHP instead of a bulb. many headaches will be saved using an RHP.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 01-02-2018 at 04:41 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 824 Posts
    RHPs can be successfully installed in tubs so they can be safely put into NPI cages. You would need to drill through the top and bolt it in to prevent it form coming loose and you might have some air gaps on the top due to the wonky design of these cages but you can do it. I would highly recommend against a CHE because you would just be ruining the humidity benefits of this enclosure buy putting in a CHE.

You are going ot have to get creative with the placement and installation. Just make sure you are a few inches form the wall and at least 6 inches from the floor. You might have to go with a narrower thus lower wattage RHP to clear the dimensions of this.
    1.0 ♂ 2010 Spider BP 'Dante'
    1.0 ♂ 2017 Bay of LA Rosy Boa 'Queso'
    0.0.1 2017 Aru GTP 'Ganja'
    1.0 ♂ Blue Tick Coonhound 'Blue'

1.0 ♂ 2018 Basset Hound 'Cooper'

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SDA For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (01-02-2018)

Thanks

Thanks for the ideas! I think I'll call Pro Products and see if the RHP will work.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by animalrie View Post
    Thanks for the ideas! I think I'll call Pro Products and see if the RHP will work.
    Good luck! They are currently making a custom RHP for me to fit in a tight space.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

animalrie (01-03-2018)