Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,472

3 members and 3,469 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Should a beginner adopt a bp?

I made a post on here yesterday about where to buy a bp. I found a reptile rescue center somewhat near me: http://arrowheadreptilerescue.org

I was wondering if adopting a snake is a good idea for a beginner. Looking at the replies to my other post, I was right in not getting a bp from a pet store, so I looked for some local breeders to see what their prices were. I came across this rescue center which has about a dozen bps up for adoption. I would need to apply to adopt them. This seems like a good solution to me because I should be able to find out their eating habits, and if they have any issues. I assume a rescue center's primary motivation would be to get a good home, not hide problems from potential adopters. Anyway, what do you guys think? What age should I look for and does this seem like a good idea for a beginner? Thanks again!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    adoption is a wonderful way to go! but the risk that comes from adoption is that you don't know anything about the animal's history or potential past or current health problems. these issues could creep up again and, without prior knowledge, potentially be life-threatening to someone inexperienced. BUT the animal could be perfectly healthy!!! truly, it's a gamble. i'd recommend reaching out or even visiting the rescue center and see what you think for yourself; maybe meet some of the people who work there and chat them up, or meet the animals. if you feel good about the place and the animals, then i'd say go for it.

i think an established adult beep would be a good candidate for adoption. i've adopted a 4 or 5 year old Corn snake from a coworker's friend when they decided they couldn't care for him anymore. he's been with me less than a year but he's amazing and i love him.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 12-29-2017 at 01:57 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (12-30-2017),zina10 (12-29-2017)

Thanks

Re: Should a beginner adopt a bp?

Quote Originally Posted by Glass View Post
    I made a post on here yesterday about where to buy a bp. I found a reptile rescue center somewhat near me: http://arrowheadreptilerescue.org

I was wondering if adopting a snake is a good idea for a beginner. Looking at the replies to my other post, I was right in not getting a bp from a pet store, so I looked for some local breeders to see what their prices were. I came across this rescue center which has about a dozen bps up for adoption. I would need to apply to adopt them. This seems like a good solution to me because I should be able to find out their eating habits, and if they have any issues. I assume a rescue center's primary motivation would be to get a good home, not hide problems from potential adopters. Anyway, what do you guys think? What age should I look for and does this seem like a good idea for a beginner? Thanks again!
    I thought I’d bought my BP from a reputable reptile house but it turns out we rescued her unknowingly. First BP I ever owned and she had burns, was infested with mites.

It’s been a hard slog to get her to 100% health and I have learned so so much, mainly from this site. I wouldn’t be without her now and it wouldn’t put me off rescuing another snake but I guess you need to understand that you may have to invest time, more money and energy into nursing your snake back to health.

Good luck with whatever you choose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sambo76 For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (12-30-2017),zina10 (12-29-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    That depends on the beginner and on the snake. There are no easy answers here

If you are a very committed beginner, do your research, set up an enclosure correctly with the right husbandry in place, yes, you can adopt a Ball Python as a beginner. Whether you are successful depends on your commitment but also on the snake. If you start with a finicky feeder, overly stressed snake, it will be a lot harder on you as well as the snake.

If you adopt from a committed rescue, they should be able to help you find the right snake. One that is well established, not problematic with feeding, and one that isn't aggressive. True aggression is rare in Ball Pythons, but some can have sketchy temperaments. Not something you want to deal with as a beginner.
    They should also make sure that you have the right knowledge and can provide a good home.

Just reach out to them. Tell them about yourself and your level of expertise, tell them what you are looking for in your snake and then ask them if they have any that would work out nicely.

Before you bring it home, make sure you have everything up and running, the right setup, temps and humidity.
    After that its up to you. First order would be to let you snake relax. No handling aside from maintenance or emergencies. Those snakes have been re-homed more then once, they usually have lived in some rough conditions, too. They may need some extra time to get comfortable in a new situation.

Give it time to relax and get used to the new home. After 2 or 3 successful feedings you can start to "handle" it some.

Stick around, there is a ton of help and information in these forums and a lot of very experienced and helpful people should you run into any issues..

Plus, we want pictures
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-29-2017),dadofsix (12-29-2017),Glass (12-29-2017),Kira (12-30-2017),tttaylorrr (12-29-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    A reputable rescue will not only match you to the right snake they will also help you get it set up. They may also have used equipment available to purchase, as many take donations of tanks, enclosures, etc. to sell and raise money if they don't need the stuff.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

zina10 (12-29-2017)