Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,370

1 members and 3,369 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Re: Is Major a normal?

Quote Originally Posted by illaoi View Post
    would you sell your car and house in exchange for a snake's life? would you go homeless? go without food?
    your virtue has constraints like anyone else's. please don't judge.
    If you cannot afford to keep the animal you shouldn't have it. Sometimes animals have to be put down, but not using the logic you are using. Calculations like you are making are done by machines. Machines have no empathy and no soul if you believe in that sort of thing. No one needs the kind of math that you are doing. We are all aware of the calculations. It cost me less than I have paid for a snake to bring a human into this world. I can make humans for free. Does that mean the baby does not have value and I should just let it die rather than paying for a hospital visit when it gets sick?

You, whoever you are have a problem. Luckily I do not have to deal with it. I predict you will soon be gone from here.
    Last edited by JodanOrNoDan; 11-09-2017 at 03:46 PM.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Stocksy (11-09-2017),tegu (11-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by illaoi View Post
    what kind of idiotic logic is that. as far as you know the person he got it from unambiguously told him it was a normal and only after the fact his cousin said it wasn't a normal. if the person was being deceitful he would have said it was a pastel het pied, seeing as there is just so much controversy regarding the morph

fallacy of composition ftw
    The person he bought if from told him it was a "Normal het Pied". It is obviously not a "Normal het Pied". My logic had nothing to do with the seller being deceitful at all. It had to do with them not having a clue what they were selling, as it is obviously not a normal.

When a seller doesn't know what they have when it comes to a simple single gene phenotype, such as Pastel, why should I expect them to know what they are selling when it comes to the heterozygous recessive part? Call it "fallacy of composition" if you want - I call it being informed and cautious about what you purchase and who you purchase it from.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stocksy View Post
    How would that determine if Major is het or not? If i bred him to a visual pied, wouldn't their offspring be visual anyways? Thank you for complimenting my snakes. I love them! Lol. From what i have been told, is it safe to say i have a Pastel?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    There should be visuals produced if Major is truly "het" pied. There will also be other morphs produced that will be het pieds as well. Remember there is also the factor of his percentage of het pied that will also play into it. Also, hets don't always prove out the first time and may need to be bred several times before they do. So at the end of the day a part of the clutch should be visual pieds if Major proves out.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 11-09-2017 at 04:42 PM.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Stocksy (11-09-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    There should be visuals produced if Major is truly "het" pied. There will also be other morphs produced that will be het pieds as well. Remember there is also the factor of his percentage of het pied that will also play into it. Also, hets don't always prove out the first time and may need to be bred several times before they do. So at the end of the day a part of the clutch should be visual pieds if Major proves out.
    I have no idea about the percentage. Previous owner just told me he is a normal het pied. I'm not going to go crazy trying to work it out though. I'm sure i will find out in time once i increase my knowledge. I have been looking on Genetic Wizard ans it tells me that, if i breed Kia(Spider) and Major(Pastel), i would still produce normals. I find that rather bizarre as neither of them are normal. Lol.

Thanks

I have no idea about the percentage. Previous owner just told me he is a normal het pied. I'm not going to go crazy trying to work it out though. I'm sure i will find out in time once i increase my knowledge.
    Since you were told he was a Normal het Pied, there are no percentage to worry about.

I have been looking on Genetic Wizard ans it tells me that, if i breed Kia(Spider) and Major(Pastel), i would still produce normals. I find that rather bizarre as neither of them are normal. Lol.
    Welcome to the land of the Odds Gods! Statistically speaking, you could breed a 10 gene animal to another 10 gene animal and still produce a normal. Oddly enough, you have the same chances in that pairing to produce the 20 gene animal as you do the 0 gene animal. Go figure, right?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Alan View Post
    Since you were told he was a Normal het Pied, there are no percentage to worry about.

Welcome to the land of the Odds Gods! Statistically speaking, you could breed a 10 gene animal to another 10 gene animal and still produce a normal. Oddly enough, you have the same chances in that pairing to produce the 20 gene animal as you do the 0 gene animal. Go figure, right?
    Turned out not to be a normal at all. I might tell myself that he lied about that also. So a normal can pop out in any combination of pairings? Why does that happen?

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    At it simplest you get one gene from the mom and one gene from the dad. If a snake has 2 copies of a single gene it will not produce a normal snake. This is where the hobby term super comes from. 2 copies of a single recessive gene gives you a visual recessive.

Pied is generally considered a recessive gene.
    Last edited by JodanOrNoDan; 11-09-2017 at 05:44 PM.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

Thanks

So a normal can pop out in any combination of pairings? Why does that happen?
    Not any combination, but most combinations, yes. Rather than write a novel here, these are some links you might find helpful to start your dive into genetics:
    1. Intro to Reptile Genetics: http://www.newenglandreptile.com/genetics_intro.html
    2. Simple Recessive Genetics: http://www.newenglandreptile.com/gen...recessive.html
    3. Double Heterozygous Genetics: http://www.newenglandreptile.com/gen...recessive.html
    4. Incomplete Dominant/Dominant Genetics: http://www.newenglandreptile.com/genetics_codom.html

Have fun!

EDIT: Also, this link from our site is a good one: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...Basic-Genetics
    Last edited by Eric Alan; 11-09-2017 at 05:52 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Alan View Post
    Not any combination, but most combinations, yes. Rather than write a novel here, these are some links you might find helpful to start your dive into genetics:
    1. Intro to Reptile Genetics: http://www.newenglandreptile.com/genetics_intro.html
    2. Simple Recessive Genetics: http://www.newenglandreptile.com/gen...recessive.html
    3. Double Heterozygous Genetics: http://www.newenglandreptile.com/gen...recessive.html
    4. Incomplete Dominant/Dominant Genetics: http://www.newenglandreptile.com/genetics_codom.html

Have fun!

EDIT: Also, this link from our site is a good one: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...Basic-Genetics
    Thank you for those. Hopefully, they are explained in Leyman's terms, cos i need to start from the beginning. Lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    I would worry that whoever sold you the snake really did not know what he had, and may have swapped the real "normal het pied" with this "pastel" and you might not have the pied gene in there at all.

Good luck though, the odds gods are often kind.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

Eric Alan (11-09-2017),Stocksy (11-09-2017)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast