Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,382

1 members and 3,381 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: Regurgitation - Need Help

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Just a thought but I'm wondering if the way I thawed the f/t rat had some bearing on the regurgitation. I used the same techniques which I've used on the f/t mice. Thaw in the Fridge for several hours and then place the rat/mouse at room temp near the enclosure for 2-3 hours. Then I hit the rat w/ a hair dryer for 20-30 seconds. The rat felt like he was thawed but maybe there is a better 'sure' way to prepare a f/t.
    to check f/t feeders i always squeeze at the hips and the head to check for cold spots, as those are the last parts of the body to thaw out (they're the thickest). maybe next time try thawing in room-temperature water after the fridge stage.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    to check f/t feeders i always squeeze at the hips and the head to check for cold spots, as those are the last parts of the body to thaw out (they're the thickest). maybe next time try thawing in room-temperature water after the fridge stage.
    I've tried to avoid thawing in water as to avoid a wet rodent but I guess I can keep them in the bag to accomplish this. Maybe then pull them out for the last hour to get the niece 'aroma' to excite my BP

Thanks

I've tried to avoid thawing in water as to avoid a wet rodent but I guess I can keep them in the bag to accomplish this. Maybe then pull them out for the last hour to get the niece 'aroma' to excite my BP
    i don't like feeding wet rodents, either. i double bag: feeder goes into a sandwich ziploc bag, that bag goes into a gallon ziploc bag, that all goes into the water. right before the hairdryer step i waft the bag into the enclosure of whoever i'm feeding and they're usually ready to go within 15 seconds.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    Wet rats... yuck. I hate it when I get them wet. They stink and some of my animals won't touch a wet one. I watched vids of brian feeding and all the rats are just thawing in water. Nasty stuff. Maybe if I had as many animals to feed as he does I would do it too but currently I still try to keep them dry.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    Hold on... You fed the rat, left for the weekend and there were kids in the basement... Better ask your kids if they took the snake out and handled it, that would cause a regurge in an instant. Usually only happens to me if I handle too soon after feeding. Just a thought...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cchardwick For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (10-24-2017),MissterDog (10-24-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post
    Hold on... You fed the rat, left for the weekend and there were kids in the basement... Better ask your kids if they took the snake out and handled it, that would cause a regurge in an instant. Usually only happens to me if I handle too soon after feeding. Just a thought...
    No, my kids are very young, have no interest in the snake and the cage is locked. My oldest son who is 4 hasn't even held the snake yet. The rat was fed on a weds night and I left Friday morning so that's just short of 48 hours that I was there. My wife believes she started smelling something either Friday night or Saturday morning but just thought it was snake poop (not the regurgitated rat). I'm pretty good about following instructions on here. 48 hours always!

It's possible there was 'traffic' in the basement Saturday (kids playing) but that's no different then any other time.

Thanks

Sorry to continue to keep this thread going but one thing which came to mind yesterday is that my snake has yet to shed for me and it's been around 2-3 months since he arrived. He's been putting on some good weight (approx 60g) and eating each week so I wasn't too worried. But now w/ the regurgitation issue coinciding w/ the possibility of shedding; I'm hoping they don't cross paths....

Thanks

Well it's coming up on two weeks since the regurgitation episode happened. Here's the sequence of events:

18th (weds): Fed 1st f/t Rat pup ever

19th (Thurs): No Sign of Rat Pup (unless it was in hide)

20th (Fri) in the morning: No Sign of Rat Pup (unless it was in hide)

*** Wife said something smelled really bad but she can't remember if it was Fri or Sat ***

22nd (Sun): Discovered Regurged Rat in cage after returning from trip

Since these events, I haven't' taken my BP out of the cage except the day of discovery when I had to remove the rat and perform a cleaning (The enclosure still smells awful when I open the sliding door).

I purchased a small mouse and some Nutribac supplement to sprinkle on the food (recommended by another person on this site).

Is it OK to try feeding again tomorrow (weds) which is 2 weeks from last feeding or should I wait until this weekend (2 weeks from regurgitation)?

I'm also thinking about getting rid of the 24 f/t rat pups that I purchased from a company at Repticon and repurchasing from one of the companies mentioned on this site. Seems like this may be good piece of mine because I have NO IDEA what caused this issue to happen.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Well it's coming up on two weeks since the regurgitation episode happened. Here's the sequence of events:

*** Wife said something smelled really bad but she can't remember if it was Fri or Sat ***

Since these events, I haven't' taken my BP out of the cage except the day of discovery when I had to remove the rat and perform a cleaning (The enclosure still smells awful when I open the sliding door).

I purchased a small mouse and some Nutribac supplement to sprinkle on the food (recommended by another person on this site).

Is it OK to try feeding again tomorrow (weds) which is 2 weeks from last feeding or should I wait until this weekend (2 weeks from regurgitation)?

I'm also thinking about getting rid of the 24 f/t rat pups that I purchased from a company at Repticon and repurchasing from one of the companies mentioned on this site. Seems like this may be good piece of mine because I have NO IDEA what caused this issue to happen.

feed this weekend, when the 2 weeks from regurge are up.

it's your choice whether or not you decide to toss the feeders, but since they are the only suspect in this mystery it probably wouldn't hurt and the piece of mind that comes with new feeders is definitely worth it.

good luck on your next feeding!
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (10-31-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Hey, sorry you had to experience this regurge with the little guy. Sounds like the husbandry was and is on point but i am conflicted on the thawing procedure you use bc i think your freezer to fridge time and duration in the fridge may be inadequate. 3 or 4 hours i don't think is sufficient time to fully thaw out a rat. A mouse maybe, and that's taking into consideration that you still continue to thaw and warm with warm/hot water and the hair dryer. I think you should consider leaving the frozen prey in the fridge alot longer. Maybe even 6 to 8 hours bc usually it's a thawing from freezer to fridge of overnight and then all the other warming procedures. Some people thaw at room temperatures. So, before throwing out all the rats from Repticon try adjusting your thawing procedures first. Don't worry too much either bc these pythons recover from this sort of thing that is pretty much self limiting. Keep your husbandry on point and you and him will be fine. Lol.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 10-31-2017 at 01:24 PM.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

zina10 (12-18-2017)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast