Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,277

4 members and 3,273 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

SyHy4455 (58)

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,566
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Help with raising ambient and cold side temp?

Quote Originally Posted by carldordelman View Post
    insulate, insulate, insulate... glass sucks at retaining heat.

Thanks for the advice and pictures, and nice dollhouse ya got there lol.
    Dewey
    He ain't scare of no things

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyGoat View Post
    Okay, so, here's what's happening. I got a fluker's fixture for the 100W CHE, but it doesn't fit between the plastic bars. On another thread I asked and I was told it was okay, and I trust that you guys all know your stuff, but my dad is still really concerned about the CHE melting the plastic the dome rests on and a fire starting (And I sorta still have to listen to him at my age). Will this happen? We're wondering if there's any way we can adjust the screen top to better accommodate the fixture and avoid all chances of melting/fire. Here's some pics so that you can visualize it:

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil.../3/5/69020.jpg

https://ball-pythons.net/gallery/fil.../3/5/79683.jpg

shoot I can't get them to work from mobile. Sorry about that. But yeah, again I trust you guys know your stuff but my dad is still really concerned about this. Thanks a bunch!
    The solid metal lamp domes are actually not UL listed for use with CHE's, not even the ones with ceramic fixtures. I wish manufacturers would make this fact more obvious. I've only seen it in the fine print. I myself used metal domes for years before I found out. The only fixture approved for use with CHE's is the wire cage type. A few different manufacturers make them. I have the same Exo Terra glass terrarium for one of my beeps, and the small 150w max rated size fits perfectly in one of the plastic frames on the screen. I use a Zilla dome spring clip to hold it on, though I had to use a needle nose pliers to open the hooks a bit so they would go on the smaller mesh screen that Exo Terra uses.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    Sarah G.
    -----------

1.1 Ball Pythons, Kermit & Lily | 0.1 Corn Snake, Princess Coils | 1.0 Betta Fish, Orchid | 9.4 Goldfish | 1.0 Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure, Gremlin | 0.1 Carolina Dog, Foxy | 0.1 Cat, Blaze

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silverdreams For This Useful Post:

GiddyGoat (09-20-2017),tttaylorrr (09-20-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I could get some flack for this but I have always, ALWAYS focused on the belly heat first. If the snake is cold, the snake will stay on that belly heat and won't really come out. I have a rack system and I don't really check the tubs temps but outside of the tubs I have had ambient temperatures be in the high 70s or 80s in the spring/summer time and than drop to the 60s. I don't have any heater or anything to create a certain ambient temperature. I have not had one snake get sick *knock on wood*, go off food, or have any health problems. This has helped my breeding process as well. Heat lamp is a bit dangerous in my opinion because it can be knocked over, crack lamp, fire hazard, but thats just my opinion and I haven't used a heat lamp when I got into ball pythons. I always had a tub enclosure and a heat tape.
    0.1 Normal ball python
    1.0 Blackhead pinstripe
    0.2 het pied
    1.0 pied
    0.1 mojave
    1. Rat terrier

Thanks

Okay thank you! I'll be sure to look for that specifically. So will a dimmer from the hardware store work fine then? Sorry if this is getting repetitive I just don't want to mess up and potentially injure my new companion.

new list:
    -100W CHE
    -Dimmer/Rheostat
    -reptile lamp fixture WITH ceramic socket
    -sheet of lexan**** (lol)

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome, will do!

ALso, if you don't have a infared heat gun to check hot spot temps and any other temps you should get one too. should be able to find one for under $20 and it really is a necessity if you're trying to dial in temps for your new friend.
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Mainland Reticulated
    1.0 High lines Red Tail Boa

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maddumpling View Post
    I could get some flack for this but I have always, ALWAYS focused on the belly heat first. If the snake is cold, the snake will stay on that belly heat and won't really come out. I have a rack system and I don't really check the tubs temps but outside of the tubs I have had ambient temperatures be in the high 70s or 80s in the spring/summer time and than drop to the 60s. I don't have any heater or anything to create a certain ambient temperature. I have not had one snake get sick *knock on wood*, go off food, or have any health problems. This has helped my breeding process as well. Heat lamp is a bit dangerous in my opinion because it can be knocked over, crack lamp, fire hazard, but thats just my opinion and I haven't used a heat lamp when I got into ball pythons. I always had a tub enclosure and a heat tape.
    Forgot to add that I live in California so it could be a different situation. I read in another thread where the snake is looking for that perfect body temperature for itself so its finding that perfect spot. I see my snake sometimes on the heat tape and than other times a few inches away from it. I have used heat lamps before, but I have had bad experience due to the snake would be constantly fixated on the heat lamp and the lamps could potentially fall off and break.
    0.1 Normal ball python
    1.0 Blackhead pinstripe
    0.2 het pied
    1.0 pied
    0.1 mojave
    1. Rat terrier

Thanks

Dang it.... I'm really scared now. I didn't know that the metal one's couldn't be used with CHE's.... I should've came back on here sooner. My dad is gonna kill me... So do I have to return the 5.5" and the 75W now? or will it be okay? Please help I'm not sure and I contacted the breeder today, he wants to ship before it gets too cold, so I'm a little pressed for time..

And as for the temp gun, I'm getting one of those as well.

I know I seem like a discombobulated mess, but it's hard communicating with my dad about all of this. I thought I haf it figured out. I will let him know about the problem with the fixture I guess, and tell him again that I need a temp gun.
    Dewey

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by silverdreams View Post
    The solid metal lamp domes are actually not UL listed for use with CHE's, not even the ones with ceramic fixtures. I wish manufacturers would make this fact more obvious. I've only seen it in the fine print. I myself used metal domes for years before I found out. The only fixture approved for use with CHE's is the wire cage type. A few different manufacturers make them. I have the same Exo Terra glass terrarium for one of my beeps, and the small 150w max rated size fits perfectly in one of the plastic frames on the screen. I use a Zilla dome spring clip to hold it on, though I had to use a needle nose pliers to open the hooks a bit so they would go on the smaller mesh screen that Exo Terra uses.
    @Silverdreams: this is news to me! thank you for sharing. i'm considering changing out my dome for the wire cage now...

Dang it.... I'm really scared now. I didn't know that the metal one's couldn't be used with CHE's.... I should've came back on here sooner. My dad is gonna kill me... So do I have to return the 5.5" and the 75W now? or will it be okay? Please help I'm not sure and I contacted the breeder today, he wants to ship before it gets too cold, so I'm a little pressed for time..

And as for the temp gun, I'm getting one of those as well.

I know I seem like a discombobulated mess, but it's hard communicating with my dad about all of this. I thought I haf it figured out. I will let him know about the problem with the fixture I guess, and tell him again that I need a temp gun.
    you're doing just fine. keep the bulb, and return the metal dome for a wire caging like this one. according to the item listing, the socket can work with any bulb up to 250 W. i just might be changing out my dome for this wire one based on @Silverdreams information.

you're almost there!
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    @Silverdreams: this is news to me! thank you for sharing. i'm considering changing out my dome for the wire cage now...

you're doing just fine. keep the bulb, and return the metal dome for a wire caging like this one. according to the item listing, the socket can work with any bulb up to 250 W. i just might be changing out my dome for this wire one based on @Silverdreams information.

you're almost there!
    okay.... thanks for all the help guys... I'm just freaking out now. If I was old enough to drive it wouldn't be so much of a problem, but my dad is the one who has to take me to run all of these errands... Hopefully he doesn't get too upset with me. I will see what I can do. Thanks again
    Dewey

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

okay.... thanks for all the help guys... I'm just freaking out now. If I was old enough to drive it wouldn't be so much of a problem, but my dad is the one who has to take me to run all of these errands... Hopefully he doesn't get too upset with me. I will see what I can do. Thanks again
    take a deeeep breath. you're learning something new like, every posting so of course you're changing your mind and needing to make adjustments. explain to your dad you found a solution that is UL approved (UL is the leader of product safety testing) and should not be of concern.

one thing i forgot to ask: what is the size of the area between the bars?
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    take a deeeep breath. you're learning something new like, every posting so of course you're changing your mind and needing to make adjustments. explain to your dad you found a solution that is UL approved (UL is the leader of product safety testing) and should not be of concern.

one thing i forgot to ask: what is the size of the area between the bars?
    I actually don't even know... All I know that it's definitely smaller than 8.5", and that that size dome was maybeee an inch or so too big? So estimating somewhere between 6.5" to 7.5"
    Dewey

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast