Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,298

1 members and 3,297 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Differences in feeding responses

I feed all my guys f/t (except for a baby ball who has switched yet) and it always amuses me how individualized their feeding responses are. There's some of the balls who I barely open the door and they're nearly halfway out of the cage to grab the rodent and who I'm convinced would eat one straight from the freezer. Then there's those who shy away from the door opening, but quickly strike. Some require a simple dangle while others need the rat to be piping hot and having a seizure before they'll touch it. My spotteds tend to do a sneak attack strike and pull it quickly into the hide. And then there's the anaconda and one of my bloods who want NOTHING to do with the game of "let's pretend it's alive and squeeze it" who simply have me lay it down in front of them and then go directly to swallowing.

Any one else notice this?
    2.7 ball pythons. 0.3 blood pythons
    1.3 spotted pythons. 1.1 tricolor hognose
    1.1 yellow anaconda. 1.0 Kenyan sand boa
    1.1 false water cobras. 4.0 dogs. 1.0 striped skunk.

Thanks

Re: Differences in feeding responses

Quote Originally Posted by Jocelyn View Post
    I feed all my guys f/t (except for a baby ball who has switched yet) and it always amuses me how individualized their feeding responses are. There's some of the balls who I barely open the door and they're nearly halfway out of the cage to grab the rodent and who I'm convinced would eat one straight from the freezer. Then there's those who shy away from the door opening, but quickly strike. Some require a simple dangle while others need the rat to be piping hot and having a seizure before they'll touch it. My spotteds tend to do a sneak attack strike and pull it quickly into the hide. And then there's the anaconda and one of my bloods who want NOTHING to do with the game of "let's pretend it's alive and squeeze it" who simply have me lay it down in front of them and then go directly to swallowing.

Any one else notice this?
    I've only had my BP for two weeks and each time I've had to leave the room before they would eat. Not sure if that's going to be the norm or just sort of the acclimation process.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

it is amazing, isn't it? who would've thought snakes have distinct personalities?

Yellow is my lovely problem child: for over a year, for whatever reason, he would NOT eat unless i heated the feeder, left the prey item's head right at the entrance of the enclosure, turned the lights off and left the room.

Spaghetti sees the feeder and it - is - GONE. when she refuses i get more paranoid than i probably should, but i feel she is picky with the smell of her f/t feeders for whatever reason. she's less than a year old so i'm still getting to know her.

then there's Coffee Bean who is CONFIDENT and will MURDER when she decides she's not having it. at 90g+ and only having her for 3 weeks i'm not sure of her personality yet, but she's settled right in and even in full blue eats like a champ.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Jocelyn (09-15-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts
    Freddy comes up and meets the rat and just stays there, millimeters from the rats nose. He doesn't move and I don't move the rat, then I wiggle the rat and he snatches it lightning fast.

Thanks

We've got snakes all over the map, too, including my goofy spotted girl that feeds best while being held.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

Thanks
    Our 3 balls eat ft. Except our male has not had any interest in food since last breeding season. He is still out all night searching for another lady. All 3 are shy and require you to leave it in the enclosure before they will touch it.
    Our 3 womas eat it before it hits the aspen. They meet you at the door. Your hand, the hook or food. They are eating something, the choice is yours.
    Last edited by enginee837; 09-07-2017 at 02:16 PM.
    1.0 Albino Black Pastel Pinstripe BP "Menolo"
    0.1 Albino Spider BP "Ginger"
    0.1 Black Pastel Het. Albino "Jasmine"

1.0 Woma python "Stitch"
    0.1 Woma python "Milo"
    0.1 Woma python "Millie"

1.0 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python

1.0 Black South African Boerboel "Midas"
    0.1 Chocolate Lab "Coco"

Thanks

All snakes are like that, each one has a different personality with everything. One of my nicest snakes is an Argentine boa but for some reason after he kills his meal if your still in the room he rears up like a cobra hissing loud as hell, bashing his head off the enclosure trying to bite lol every other minute he so chill! Anyone ever see that one?
    " Show me someone who hasn't made a mistake and I'll show you a liar ".