Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,132

3 members and 3,129 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,575
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gender Question

Thanks

Gender Question

I am seriously looking at getting my dream snake (pied) in a few months and was wondering if the gender matters in regard to the male I already have. I have no interest in breeding so gender is not really much of a factor. I am leaning towards male - mostly because mine has caused a bias with his awesome attitude...but would having a female's scent in the house (even in different rooms) affect my males' behavior? Would a 'rival' male's scent matter if there are no females?

He has never missed a meal and is a complete sweetheart so I don't want to throw him off in any way. If it matters, my current snake is a confirmed male, 2 years old, 1100 grams.

I have a QT protocol in place, they would not be in the same room, and would have all separate stuff (as far as hides, bowls, rocks, feeding tongs...)
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: Gender Question

Quote Originally Posted by Crowfingers View Post
    I am seriously looking at getting my dream snake (pied) in a few months and was wondering if the gender matters in regard to the male I already have. I have no interest in breeding so gender is not really much of a factor. I am leaning towards male - mostly because mine has caused a bias with his awesome attitude...but would having a female's scent in the house (even in different rooms) affect my males' behavior? Would a 'rival' male's scent matter if there are no females?

He has never missed a meal and is a complete sweetheart so I don't want to throw him off in any way. If it matters, my current snake is a confirmed male, 2 years old, 1100 grams.

I have a QT protocol in place, they would not be in the same room, and would have all separate stuff (as far as hides, bowls, rocks, feeding tongs...)
    i've had Spaghetti for over a year and haven't seen anything out of the norm with her and Yellow living in the same room.

there was a post by user spazhime showing her two males out together that resulted in combat, though they stated their females were out in the same area earlier.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 08-26-2017 at 03:29 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Male or female if you have no plan on breeding, really does not matter, behaviour wise there is no difference, so the only decision factor to me would be the size, if you want something smaller get a male if you want so.ething bigger get a female.
    Deborah Stewart

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-26-2017),Crowfingers (08-26-2017)

Thanks
    Others have covered the majority of the issues so far, only thing I can think of to add is -- if money isn't an issue nor is size -- maybe aim for a female. You might feel differently about breeding 2 years from now and it's easier to start when you already have the female.

Thanks
    I'd go female, but I like bigger BPs. I don't think there should be a difference temperament wise.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks

thanks for the replies everyone. I do like the idea of a larger snake...
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crowfingers View Post
    thanks for the replies everyone. I do like the idea of a larger snake...
    *chanting* FEMALE, FEMALE, FEMALE
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 08-26-2017 at 07:42 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Booper (08-26-2017),Kira (08-26-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    I knew I wanted a girl from the get go. Thy get a little bigger and I am just drawn the the females. I have nothing against males lol.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hollowlaughter View Post
    Others have covered the majority of the issues so far, only thing I can think of to add is -- if money isn't an issue nor is size -- maybe aim for a female. You might feel differently about breeding 2 years from now and it's easier to start when you already have the female.
    As a side question - genetically speaking my snake is a cinnamon mojave ( his paring was Dam: mystic and Sire: Cinnamon Crystal). So a pairing with a regular pied would produce all het pieds that are some combo of normal, mojave, cinnamon right? Or is there a chance the grandparents genes would also be expressed? (I think genetics are fascinating, just don't really understand them)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Brian from BHB just posted a video that stated all BP can come out as normal since all started from normals. Even with the new morphs. Chances are lower but it will always be there.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast