Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,527

0 members and 2,527 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Laying on top of hide?

I came home from the pet store (ironically) to my BP laying on top of his hide all stretched out. It's unusual for him to do something like that. His humidity is @ 65% and his temps were admittedly a little low (75 for cool, 85 for warm) does anyone know why he would be doing this? (Also does he look to skinny, I'm always nervous he's underweight but I'm not sure how much he's supposed to weigh (he's just under a year old)

1.0 Normal
    Normal doesn't mean boring!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: Laying on top of hide?

to gauge if he's skinny, we'd need a shot of him on the floor stretched out.

could be a sign of hunger. is it close to feeding day?
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    to gauge if he's skinny, we'd need a shot of him on the floor stretched out.

could be a sign of hunger. is it close to feeding day?
    I tried feeding him a day or two ago and he didnt get the mouse down, I'm not entirely sure what the issue was but I didn't want to try and feed him right away the next day. I'll thaw a mouse and see if he'll take it because thats possible

1.0 Normal

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound04 View Post
    I tried feeding him a day or two ago and he didnt get the mouse down, I'm not entirely sure what the issue was but I didn't want to try and feed him right away the next day. I'll thaw a mouse and see if he'll take it because thats possible

1.0 Normal
    what happened that the mouse wasn't eaten? what size prey and how often? you can try to offer and see how it goes. personally i wait at least 3 to after a refusal to try again when they're young; that's just my own way of doing things so it's not Bible.

if your husbandry is spot on i'd say it's probably hunger. he's not roaming, right?
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 08-18-2017 at 07:29 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

what happened that the mouse wasn't eaten? what size prey and how often? you can try to offer and see how it goes. personally i wait at least 3 to after a refusal to try again when they're young; that's just my own way of doing things so it's not Bible.

if your husbandry is spot on i'd say it's probably hunger. he's not roaming, right?
    I'm not entirely sure. He latched on in the middle and usually is able to make his way over to the head buy he struggled that time. The mouse happened to be a burster and he's very picky. If the mouse is bloody he won't take it if I re offer it and will lose interest. I do medium to adult size mice about once a week (I try not to do it on the same exact day everyday because I saw somewhere that making it unpredictable makes it so it's more like being out in the wild, I'm not sure how accurate that is, so let me know if I should be on a more strict schedule. And nope, he's just chilling out not trying to escape or anything. I'm thinking it was probably a combo of being a little chilly and hungry, I have another lamp on now to raise the temps a smidge and will try feeding him I think... Its also possible he pooped in his hide and now doesn't want to go in there but I dont want to stress him out and jostle him all around if I'm also going to be feeding him so I'll have to check after.

1.0 Normal

Thanks

I'm not entirely sure. He latched on in the middle and usually is able to make his way over to the head buy he struggled that time. The mouse happened to be a burster and he's very picky. If the mouse is bloody he won't take it if I re offer it and will lose interest. I do medium to adult size mice about once a week (I try not to do it on the same exact day everyday because I saw somewhere that making it unpredictable makes it so it's more like being out in the wild, I'm not sure how accurate that is, so let me know if I should be on a more strict schedule. And nope, he's just chilling out not trying to escape or anything. I'm thinking it was probably a combo of being a little chilly and hungry, I have another lamp on now to raise the temps a smidge and will try feeding him I think... Its also possible he pooped in his hide and now doesn't want to go in there but I dont want to stress him out and jostle him all around if I'm also going to be feeding him so I'll have to check after.

1.0 Normal
    honestly, schedules are more for keepers than the snakes. my group gets fed about every 7 days, but it fluctuates pretty regularly. whatever works for you is fine.

go ahead and offer prey. scent the room for like 10 minutes so he knows what's up. also, if he is hungry, no way i'd stick my hand in there to check for poop LOL.
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

honestly, schedules are more for keepers than the snakes. my group gets fed about every 7 days, but it fluctuates pretty regularly. whatever works for you is fine.

go ahead and offer prey. scent the room for like 10 minutes so he knows what's up. also, if he is hungry, no way i'd stick my hand in there to check for poop LOL.
    OK good to know. How do I scent the room? And haha good idea kinda what I was thinking

1.0 Normal

Thanks

OK good to know. How do I scent the room? And haha good idea kinda what I was thinking

1.0 Normal
    you let the prey thaw in the same room as the enclosure. if you thaw in water (what i personally do), once thawed unzip the plastic bag and place the baggie's opening into the enclosure, or you can wave the bag in the enclosure for a few seconds and wait a couple minutes, but my guys are ready to go within a minute.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 08-18-2017 at 07:58 PM.
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (08-18-2017)

Thanks

you let the prey thaw in the same room as the enclosure. if you thaw in water (what i personally do), once thawed unzip the plastic bag and place the baggie's opening into the enclosure, or you can wave the bag in the enclosure for a few seconds and wait a couple minutes, but my guys are ready to go within a minute.
    Sounds good! Thank you SO MUCH for the help!!!

1.0 Normal

Thanks

Sounds good! Thank you SO MUCH for the help!!!

1.0 Normal
    always happy to help.
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

12. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

spellbound04 (08-18-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast