Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,158

3 members and 3,155 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,576
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
    Thanks

New and asking for advice

I recently got a bp about two weeks ago from the pet store. Im new with snakes. When i got him they gave me a sheet of his feeding schedule and told me not to feed him in his cage. As the day comes up he refused to eat. I did some research and read that it could be cause it a new enviroment and to try and again next week, i did that and he still refused. His temps are good for him he has two hides one on the warm and one on the cool he seems very comfy. Anyways my question is what else should i do?
    Hope to hear from someone thanks.

Thanks

Re: New and asking for advice

Quote Originally Posted by Lovelylilacs View Post
    I recently got a bp about two weeks ago from the pet store. Im new with snakes. When i got him they gave me a sheet of his feeding schedule and told me not to feed him in his cage. As the day comes up he refused to eat. I did some research and read that it could be cause it a new enviroment and to try and again next week, i did that and he still refused. His temps are good for him he has two hides one on the warm and one on the cool he seems very comfy. Anyways my question is what else should i do?
    Well, I recently learned that feeding outside the enclosure can make the snakes go off feed, so now I just feed them inside of their cage. Another thing is, bp can be very picky, some will only take rats, some will only take mice, and then there is my female bp, who will never eat anything thats its not solid white lol im sure someone with more experience than me will chime in soon

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts
    Hey there. Welcome to the forum!

Here's a good link to check out that will help point you in the right direction with your new addition: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-hatchling-101.

Also, because in many cases "less than accurate" information (such as "don't feed him in his cage - that's just plain wrong and it is actually best to do just that) is passed along by pet store employees to new owners, here's another link with some solid advice on how to care for your little one: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...s%29-Caresheet.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Alan For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (03-29-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lovelylilacs View Post
    first off, welcome to the forum!

there's no reason not to feed him in his cage: "cage aggression" is a myth, and taking him out of his home and somewhere new is an unnecessary stressor. how much does the snake weigh? are you feeding live or f/t? if f/t, how are you warming the prey item, and what is the size of the prey item?

my newest bby took like three weeks to get settled in and eating for me; sometimes they just take a bit to adjust.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 03-29-2017 at 12:57 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Lovelylilacs (03-29-2017),Zincubus (03-29-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,905 Times in 2,997 Posts

The secret of feeding thawed is to let them thaw in the same room as the snake which will take a few hours then when completely thawed you get the mouse / rat nice and warm by blasting with a hairdryer for 20 seconds or so and then offer IMMEDIATELY with tongs , best to offer in the evenings as they're nocturnal of course , low lighting and let the heat-pits do their job. If they show a tiny bit of interest then reheat with hairdryer again and offer immediately , repeat as many times as it takes . If there is no interest not even a tongue flick then leave it for five to seven days and try then ..

Most of my Royals will only strike from within their hides and drag it in to eat so I just dangle it in front of the entrance and they snatch it instantly .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk