Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,260

1 members and 3,259 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

My baby Ball Python is acting abnormally. Help!

Hi, I'm new to this site. About 2 weeks ago I got a baby normal ball python. This morning I woke up to her freaking out and quickly slithering in an abnormal violent fashion through her tank. From one shelter that is on the cool side to the other shelter on the warm side while consistently burying her head into the dirt.

She has yet to shed the skin on her head and eye caps. I've fed her about once a week. At the reptile store, where I got her, they were feeding her pinkies. Once I got her, I started feeding her fuzzy mice from PetCo. Most recent feeding was last night. Last night, before feeding, I moved her from a 5.5 gallon tank to a 10 gallon tank and also added a small heat pad under her cave on the warm side. The temperature is telling me it's about 85 degrees with about 50% humidity. I'm also using coconut fiber as the soil.

Can anyone help me in understanding what is going on and/or what I should do? This is her first time doing this.
    Last edited by Gentlemen; 03-28-2017 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Typos

Thanks

Re: My baby Ball Python is acting abnormally. Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlemen View Post
    Hi, I'm new to this site. About 2 weeks ago I got a baby normal ball python. This morning I woke up to her freaking out and quickly slithering in an abnormal fashion through her tank. From one shelter That is on the cool side to the other shelter on the warm side would consistently bury her head into the dirt.

She has yet to shed he skin on her head or eye caps. I've fed her about once a week. At the reptile store, where I got her they we feeding her pinkies. Once I got her I started feeding her fuzzy mice from PetCo. I've recently, last night, moved her from a 5.5 gallon tank to a 10 gallon tank and also added a small heat pad under her cave on the warm side. The temperature is telling me it's about 80 degrees with about 50% humidity and I'm using coconut fiber as the soil.

Can anyone help me in understanding what is going on and/or what I should do? This is her first time doing this.
    I'm not sure if I'm wrong but, she could just be exploring the tank getting a feel for her new surroundings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

But then what do you mean when you say abnormally?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Hi, I'm new to this site. About 2 weeks ago I got a baby normal ball python. This morning I woke up to her freaking out and quickly slithering in an abnormal violent fashion through her tank. From one shelter that is on the cool side to the other shelter on the warm side while consistently burying her head into the dirt.

She has yet to shed the skin on her head and eye caps. I've fed her about once a week. At the reptile store, where I got her, they were feeding her pinkies. Once I got her, I started feeding her fuzzy mice from PetCo. Most recent feeding was last night. Last night, before feeding, I moved her from a 5.5 gallon tank to a 10 gallon tank and also added a small heat pad under her cave on the warm side. The temperature is telling me it's about 85 degrees with about 50% humidity. I'm also using coconut fiber as the soil.

first of all, pinky/fuzzy mice are way too small for the average baby beep; my 60g corn snake eats mice pinkies. how much does she weigh?

also, as others have asked, a more thorough description of the behavior will help us help you. frantic movements and trying to burrow could be a sign of insecurity; what are your hides like? also, what are your temps and humidity? how are you measuring them?
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 03-28-2017 at 12:31 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts

Last night, before feeding, I moved her from a 5.5 gallon tank to a 10 gallon tank and also added a small heat pad under her cave on the warm side. The temperature is telling me it's about 85 degrees with about 50% humidity.
    1) Do you have a thermostat regulating the UTH so it does not overheat and burn your snake? Unregulated they can get up to 125*F.

2) Where exactly are you measuring the temperature?

3) What kind of thermometer are you using to measure the temperature?
    Last edited by bcr229; 03-28-2017 at 12:38 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Foschi Exotic Serpents (03-28-2017),GoingPostal (03-28-2017),zina10 (03-28-2017)

Thanks
    After recent/inadequate shed, might be rubbing against stuff and burrowing to remove... but you say "violent" which throws me off... bring the humidity up, 50% is not enough (for shed)

New here too btw, best of luck

8. The Following User Says Thank You to vikingr For This Useful Post:

Gentlemen (03-28-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

My baby Ball Python is acting abnormally. Help!

We could do with full set up details ....

My first thought is that 85F isn't warm enough for the warm hide but the rubbing and burying head suggests that it's trying to remove the old shed and eye caps ... There a ways to help that though ....first thing I'd do is give the Viv a couple of good sprays now and later on and with a bit of luck it may be able to rub the skin off itself overnight .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Zincubus; 03-28-2017 at 01:38 PM.

Thanks

I'm not an expert but with her been in a new set up she could be a bit stressed specially when she was fed last night then moved into a new surrounding the day after you should normally leave them alone for 2 days after feeding mine was so calm in the shop and turned really aggressive hissing and striking out when I brought him home it took just under a month to become tame again my steps where
    1. Left him for a full weak to get used to his new surroundings he was out and about all over his set up checking everything out
    2. I fed him his first pinky then left him for two full days
    3. After two full days I kept putting my hands in his set up for 5 mins a time not moving them about 4 times a day just so he could get used to my sent I even put some gloves in his set up that I ware the times I wasn't home I did this for 4 days straight
    4. He was starting to come out at night and sit about around his set up I'd put my hands in slowly then just rest my hands on him but not picking him up to get used to contact with me I did this for another 4 days I did this only when he was out of his hide on his own choice
    5. After this I started picking him up and removing him from his set up for upto 10 mins at a time for a full week the first two days he did strike out at some point of holding him but I think it was down to too fast of movement when I still fed him weekly during his time and left him for two days but he stage when I was just placing my hands in his set up I still did this after feeding because he was in his hide
    6. A happy ending there was no more hissing or striking and he was the humble ball python that they are known for he stopped balling up as much and now explores around my body try these steps if you've had no luck as they worked for me

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Thanks

During the stages I was picking him up and he was striking out I used this method in this youtube video and it worked with great and immediate success here is the link
    https://youtu.be/S7DQssbM0uk

Thanks

Have you any picture of her I would like to see her lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast