Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,303

2 members and 3,301 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

"Prevent snake owners from using free puppies and kittens as food" post gaining tract

don't know how many of you use Reddit:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/LifeProTips...prevent_snake/

i doubt the legitimacy of OP's story, but once again painting snake owners in a bad light. the comments are equally abysmal.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 03-07-2017 at 03:41 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts
    oh reddit....

Can't say I'm surprised.
    ~Steffe

Thanks
    I was trying to read through the comments and I even commented on a couple but that's honestly too much for me...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: "Prevent snake owners from using free puppies and kittens as food" post gaining t

there have been some people prosecuted for it in the past.

While I find the use of cats and dogs as feeders abhorrent it is worth remembering there are people who keep various species of rodent and find our use of them equally as bad. The best thing we can do is treat both animals well and try not to rub other hobbyists faces in it.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (03-08-2017),Craiga 01453 (03-07-2017),PitOnTheProwl (03-07-2017),PokeyTheNinja (03-09-2017),Sonny1318 (03-08-2017),Stewart_Reptiles (03-08-2017),Trisnake (03-08-2017),Vipera Berus (03-10-2017)

Thanks
    I doubt that story is true, but even if it is, I have to say something I'm afraid people aren't going to like very much...Dogs and cats are animals, and no matter how much people love and cherish them, they are just that. Maybe some people value cats over snakes, but I don't. Now dogs might be at the same level, but only mine. I've seen so many "cute" pictures of cats and dogs holding dead snakes in their mouths. IMHO, feeding a python a puppy is no crueler then feeding a dog/cat a snake, or letting the animal kill one. Sure, snakes aren't as "intelligent," who cares? I love my snake just as much as my dog, and more then the cats I have owned in the past. If my snake, which I already owned and did not go out and buy thinking it needed these animals as food, ate nothing else, I would feed it a cat readily. Maybe not a dog, simply because most, even as puppies, are too big. A chihuahua size dog though? No more important to me than a snake. I'm really not trying to be cruel or mean here, but it all comes down to what we perceive as a "pet" animal and what we don't. People try to say that it's because dogs/cats are more intelligent, but pigs are more intelligent then both animals and many dogs/cats get fed pig-product or pork dinners. Plus, we eat them and some large snakes do as well.

Thanks

Re: "Prevent snake owners from using free puppies and kittens as food" post gaining t

Quote Originally Posted by FlynnTheBP View Post
    A chihuahua size dog though? No more important to me than a snake. I'm really not trying to be cruel or mean here, but it all comes down to what we perceive as a "pet" animal and what we don't.
    i agree to the main point of your opinion: animals eat animals, and the value we place on those animals is a personal belief. however supposedly these pets on craigslist are meant to be given to a loving home. but in my own opinion, just like with snakes, there are so many people that don't research and end up over their head with an animal they can't care for - mainly dogs. this adds to the current issue of craigslist adoptions. also, imo, there's no way a person that cares for their pet would place a CRAIGSLIST ad to rehome them.
    this all ties into my disbelief for the OP. if you own a retic that big, there's no way you haven't established a reliable source of food, let alone the hassle of trying to ensure your feeders are acquired consistently. frozen is consistent, cheap, and hassle-free. it all smells like bologna to me, which is why i wanted to share.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 03-07-2017 at 10:34 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (03-07-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    While I find the use of cats and dogs as feeders abhorrent it is worth remembering there are people who keep various species of rodent and find our use of them equally as bad. The best thing we can do is treat both animals well and try not to rub other hobbyists faces in it.
    this is something i do forget. obvi i feed my pets rats, but i love rats and would love to have one as a pet. i guess some people can't recognize love for an animal and feeding your animal are not mutually exclusive.
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Well look at it this way, in other countries, people eat cats, dogs, snakes, lizards and even rats. Now I personally couldn't feed a puppy or kitty to a snake but every culture is different. So while here, we would probably be shocked at eating a dog or cat, in other countries, they view it like we view chicken. I personally don't mind if someone does feed a dog or cat to their snake as long as they don't publicize it or glorify it. But I also don't particularly care to see feeding videos as it's old news after keeping snakes for 20 years. I did post pics of Caesar and Vick eating F/T chicks and quails but that was simply because it was their first time ever eating them. Since then, it's pretty much the same as rats, not worth posting now lol. It's one thing to post a pic of a snake eating a quail but a whole different ball game posting a dog or cat being eaten by a big burm or anaconda.

And yeah....reddit....like tumbler lol.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

FlynnTheBP (03-07-2017),PokeyTheNinja (03-09-2017),tttaylorrr (03-07-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    i agree to the main point of your opinion: animals eat animals, and the value we place on those animals is a personal belief. however supposedly these pets on craigslist are meant to be given to a loving home. but in my own opinion, just like with snakes, there are so many people that don't research and end up over their head with an animal they can't care for - mainly dogs. also, imo, there's no way a person that cares for their pet would place a CRAIGSLIST ad to rehome them.
    this all ties into my disbelief for the OP. if you own a retic that big, there's no way you haven't established a reliable source of food, let alone the hassle of trying to ensure your feeders are acquired consistently. frozen is consistent, cheap, and hassle-free. it all smells like bologna to me, which is why i wanted to share.
    I also don't agree at all with deceiving someone like that. I would feel absolutely terrible if I gave anyone an animal that they promised to care for only to have it killed. I see the rabbits being fed regularly, but how often can she find dogs/cats? You're right, just doesn't make sense for feeding a snake like that. Often times these stories are circulated around by animal rights or anti-snake people/groups to push their agenda.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Well look at it this way, in other countries, people eat cats, dogs, snakes, lizards and even rats. Now I personally couldn't feed a puppy or kitty to a snake but every culture is different. So while here, we would probably be shocked at eating a dog or cat, in other countries, they view it like we view chicken. I personally don't mind if someone does feed a dog or cat to their snake as long as they don't publicize it or glorify it. But I also don't particularly care to see feeding videos as it's old news after keeping snakes for 20 years. I did post pics of Caesar and Vick eating F/T chicks and quails but that was simply because it was their first time ever eating them. Since then, it's pretty much the same as rats, not worth posting now lol. It's one thing to post a pic of a snake eating a quail but a whole different ball game posting a dog or cat being eaten by a big burm or anaconda.

And yeah....reddit....like tumbler lol.
    completely agree all-around, especially on the cultural aspect of animals and food. i think most of us that share feeding pics/videos are just excited with our pets thriving, not a sadistic way to show off.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 03-07-2017 at 11:12 PM.
    4.4 ball python

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast