Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,343

1 members and 3,342 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Question Living in Tropical Country

Hi,

Sorry if this topic has been discussed before but I haven't been able to find it after carefully reading related sticky posts about setting up tanks/tubs.
    I noticed that most people here is living in a country with 4 seasons, hence the need with all the heating lamp, UTH etc. Now, I live in a tropical country where there are only two seasons, dry and wet and generally very humid.
    This is the first time I keep snake as pet and I only got her, 4-5 months old female pastel ball python named Bally, because of my daughter. I've had her for a month now. Since then I've feed her five times, pooped three times and so far she's a playful and active snake.
    The first time I got her, the pet store guy just told me to put paper/paper towel and a bowl of water inside the tank and assures me that I don't need anything else. Since I got her home, I've search plenty on how to properly care for a ball python and stumbled upon this site. I've made adjustment for her tank, using substrate, covering three sides with black papers, getting half log as her hide and put thermometer/hygrometer inside. From a week of observing, the temp is around 77-86 F with humidity ranging from 70-85%. As far as the snake, she seems fine to me. Curling up inside her hide mostly, peeking when she's ready to eat again (usually 3-5 days after feeding), drinks, actively slithering or just curling up the hand when put outside, never hiss and never strike.
    Now my first question is, do I still need to put heating source with the climate I live in? I can't find UTH in here, I've tried looking both in pet store and hardware store with no success. If it is still necessary to put heating source, what is the alternative safe way of UTH? Heat bulb?
    So far I've only put one hide inside her tank because there's no hot/cold spot. It's half log, when I tried to change it to smaller opening hide, she just roamed around it so I put the half log back and she slithered right in.
    Next is how to lower humidity inside her tank? The highest humidity I found was 90%. To reduce, I usually open the top lid and change her substrate in two weeks or whenever I found it to be damp and/or smelly. Do I need to change the lid? If you have better way to control humidity, I'd really appreciate it. Just so you know, I remove any excrement (spot cleaning) as soon as I found them, be it urates or poop.
    Since snake is nocturnal, does it mean that it's better to feed her at night? handle her at night? or is it just fine whenever? So far she doesn't seem to mind if we handle her in daylight, no hissing, no S shape readying to strike whatsoever.
    Oh, she had her first shed, well since I brought her home at least and it was no fuss (I was worried about the shedding process), I just woke up and found her old skin bundled up in front of her hide

Here's a picture (no filter) of her with new skin:

Shedding remains:

The lid:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: Living in Tropical Country

Quote Originally Posted by halfnakedlife View Post
    Since I got her home, I've search plenty on how to properly care for a ball python and stumbled upon this site. I've made adjustment for her tank, using substrate, covering three sides with black papers, getting half log as her hide and put thermometer/hygrometer inside. From a week of observing, the temp is around 77-86 F with humidity ranging from 70-85%.
    welcome!
    what type of thermometer/hygrometer are you using? if they're the analog/dial ones sold in pet stores, i would highly recommend not using them and find a digital thermometer/hygrometer. those analog ones are never accurate.

Now my first question is, do I still need to put heating source with the climate I live in? I can't find UTH in here, I've tried looking both in pet store and hardware store with no success. If it is still necessary to put heating source, what is the alternative safe way of UTH? Heat bulb?
    a UTH is used for belly heat which aids in digestion. digestion for snakes is a very delicate thing and if their needs aren't met they can have a lot of issues, even life-threatening. the UTH is controlled by a thermostat and set around 90°. i would recommend getting a UTH online since your temperatures don't reach that high, and you can find a light dimmer at any hardware store to control the UTH. ALL sources of heat MUST be regulated somehow.
    in regards to bulbs: now i don't use them, but i think they're used to raise ambient temperatures only. the bulb would have to heat up the enclosure floor underneath the hide, which means a lot of heat and is not practical and could be dangerous.

So far I've only put one hide inside her tank because there's no hot/cold spot. It's half log, when I tried to change it to smaller opening hide, she just roamed around it so I put the half log back and she slithered right in.
    if you decide to get a UTH, another identical hide is almost a necessity; that way they don't have to choose their security over regulating their temperature.

Next is how to lower humidity inside her tank? The highest humidity I found was 90%. To reduce, I usually open the top lid and change her substrate in two weeks or whenever I found it to be damp and/or smelly. Do I need to change the lid? If you have better way to control humidity, I'd really appreciate it.
    maybe turn a fan on in the room? smaller water dish? i'd maybe go for a mesh-top enclosure. how big is the enclosure your snake is in now?

Since snake is nocturnal, does it mean that it's better to feed her at night? handle her at night? or is it just fine whenever? So far she doesn't seem to mind if we handle her in daylight, no hissing, no S shape readying to strike whatsoever.
    i handle them p much whenever i want, but i always feed at night.

she's a beautiful noodle, and you seem to be providing good care for her. these are only my recommendations and opinions, but i think they'll help. hope you get many, many years of enjoyment from her.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 02-22-2017 at 11:56 AM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    I live in South Florida and I run absolutely no heating most of the year. I have a room thermostat set for 84. Central air is set for 89. I provide no belly heat except in my isolation rack which is not in the same room as the rest of my collection. I do not think you will need to do anything special heat wise under your conditions. As long as most of the day is somewhere in the optimal range the animal should have no problem with digestion. Prolonged spikes in either direction are not good. The ones to the higher side are actually more dangerous. It will not hurt for you to provide belly heat but I do not believe it is necessary. I would avoid any kind of heat lamp. More trouble than they are worth. If i were you I would be far more concerned with humidity levels than heat.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (02-22-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    welcome!
    what type of thermometer/hygrometer are you using? if they're the analog/dial ones sold in pet stores, i would highly recommend not using them and find a digital thermometer/hygrometer. those analog ones are never accurate.
    it's a digital one...i found it in nearby hardware store.

a UTH is used for belly heat which aids in digestion. digestion for snakes is a very delicate thing and if their needs aren't met they can have a lot of issues, even life-threatening. the UTH is controlled by a thermostat and set around 90°. i would recommend getting a UTH online since your temperatures don't reach that high, and you can find a light dimmer at any hardware store to control the UTH. ALL sources of heat MUST be regulated somehow.
    in regards to bulbs: now i don't use them, but i think they're used to raise ambient temperatures only. the bulb would have to heat up the enclosure floor underneath the hide, which means a lot of heat and is not practical and could be dangerous.

if you decide to get a UTH, another identical hide is almost a necessity; that way they don't have to choose their security over regulating their temperature.
    thanks for explaining this, I'll try to order one and see how it goes.

maybe turn a fan on in the room? smaller water dish? i'd maybe go for a mesh-top enclosure. how big is the enclosure your snake is in now?
    AC is on pretty much during the day (you wouldn't believe the heat here ). as for the tank size, i just measured it and it's about 16x10x11, i've no idea what G size that is. i got it from the pet store the day i brought her home. the setup is pretty simple and straight forward.

i handle them p much whenever i want, but i always feed at night.

she's a beautiful noodle, and you seem to be providing good care for her. these are only my recommendations and opinions, but i think they'll help. hope you get many, many years of enjoyment from her.
    thanks mate!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    I live in South Florida and I run absolutely no heating most of the year. I have a room thermostat set for 84. Central air is set for 89. I provide no belly heat except in my isolation rack which is not in the same room as the rest of my collection. I do not think you will need to do anything special heat wise under your conditions. As long as most of the day is somewhere in the optimal range the animal should have no problem with digestion. Prolonged spikes in either direction are not good. The ones to the higher side are actually more dangerous. It will not hurt for you to provide belly heat but I do not believe it is necessary. I would avoid any kind of heat lamp. More trouble than they are worth. If i were you I would be far more concerned with humidity levels than heat.
    Glad to hear that! and yes, I'm a bit concern on lowering the humidity in her enclosure. Any suggestion?
    Opening the lid just lowering it a tad and it wasn't even for long. I put less substrates last night when cleaning her tank, but by this morning it reads 85-88% still. The room humidity itself varies around 65-80%.