Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,445

2 members and 3,443 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

ReptiChip in a rack? How?

I have a block of ReptiChip lying around. I'm getting a rack soon, and I don't plan on using paper towels anymore. Now, regarding humidity. I know that ReptiChip can EASILY spike the humidity up in one spray. If anyone has a rack and uses ReptiChip as bedding, what do you do to control the humidity to safe levels? Like 60%-75%. I really love the stuff, Sammy approves of it too

Thanks

Re: ReptiChip in a rack? How?

Air holes in the tubs if the levels get too high

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I use reptichip in my bp tubs. I mix it up a few days in advance, then really stir it around to mix the wetter bottom with the dryer top. That gives me a good 60% because of the belly heat and ambient room temp. I have good digital hygrometers, so when they start dipping down toward the lower 50's, I use my spray bottle. With a little practice, you'll see how many squirts and how often to maintain your specific tub.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    I use Reptichip in my 20 tubs. I spray it down with water twice a week, usually the day after I feed. I go through and check to see if there are any uneaten rodents, then use a 2 gallon pump sprayer I got from Home Depot to spray it down real good. The pump sprayer seems to not frighten the snakes like a hand sprayer that you have to constantly pump. Here in Colorado we have desert like humidity, basically none at all. It dries out almost completely after three days. I used to get it really soaking wet but found that I had problems with mold, it's better to keep it on the dryer side, just wet it down real good but don't soak it too much.

I don't have anything to measure humidity, I let it naturally go up and down. Never had a problem. If I see a snake about to shed I mark that tub and spray it more often until they shed out. Once you get into a routine you'll figure it out. I wouldn't be to concerned with getting the humidity just perfect, just don't let it get too low for too long. I actually think my snakes like to see the jumps up and down in humidity.

I actually put Reptichip in the whole tub all except a small area in the back over the hot spot just big enough for the snake, then put the snake on the hotspot directly on the tub bottom with no substrate under him. When they go to the bathroom they crawl out of that hole, then I just spot clean with a dilute solution of Chlorhexidine and water (about 20 mL per quart) and wipe dry with paper towels, then put the snake back. Chlorhexidine is safe to use directly on snakes and is a great disinfectant. I bought it on Amazon, and since it's concentrated it goes a long way. Spot cleaning like that keeps my Reptichip in good shape for at least 2 months. After 2 months I replace it all. Used Reptichip is great for putting over the soil in house plants. I also use it in my mice tanks mixed in with the regular bedding, cuts way down on the mouse smells.

One tip on getting that block to expand, you can put it in a tub with several gallons of warm water and let it soak for about an hour, it will expand and is really easy to break apart. I used to wait five or ten minutes but it's difficult to break apart. However, if you only want to use some of the block and not all don't soak it that long and just break off what you need. You'll want to have some of it dry to mix in with the wet when you prepare it, otherwise it will be too wet and may mold. Seems like the mold is just on the surface and seems to go away after first mixing it up, not sure what it's from, but I seem to only have the mold issue when I first mix it up from a new block. After that I don't see the mold at all... Maybe it's my water since I'm on a well? Still not sure, just a little annoying when making it up from a new block. (I've been buying those blocks on Amazon). I was thinking maybe it's something actually in the block, like some kind of organic compound other than the coconut husk itself. And it seems like just a very light powder, just mixing up the substrate makes it go away. Or maybe it's from my rodent food dust in the room? But it's odd that I only see it at first...
    Last edited by cchardwick; 01-26-2017 at 01:29 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DLena View Post
    I use reptichip in my bp tubs. I mix it up a few days in advance, then really stir it around to mix the wetter bottom with the dryer top. That gives me a good 60% because of the belly heat and ambient room temp. I have good digital hygrometers, so when they start dipping down toward the lower 50's, I use my spray bottle. With a little practice, you'll see how many squirts and how often to maintain your specific tub.

Agreed. I started using coco husk a while back and it took some practice to get the initial mix right without getting it too moist. Now I just break it up in a container and spray and mix until its as moist as I want. A couple maintenance squirts here and there and its relatively easy to maintain the level of humidity that you want.

Thanks

I have a couple bags of ReptiChip, but have yet to actually use it. After I had purchased it, I saw a display of it at a show and when I handled it, there was a brownish coloring left on my hands. I was concerned about this leaving that same coloration on my snakes as well as discoloring my semi-clear tubs. I also wondered if this would be something that might be harmful to the snakes when it gets in their water bowls.

Has anyone else noticed this problem and know how to deal with it?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by D_ONE View Post
    Has anyone else noticed this problem and know how to deal with it?
    i think that's just a very fine dust. same thing happens to me whenever i handle reptichip; it washes off and should be completely safe.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 01-26-2017 at 12:44 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎