Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,370

2 members and 3,368 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: Where have you taken your snakes?

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    some moron who I thought was genuinely interested in snakes
    he goes, "So have you had lunch yet?"
    we parted ways soon after
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (01-11-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Kudos to all those who do the educational venues. When I wrote, "It makes no sense to me," I was strictly thinking of the people who will go out in a crowded place with one just for the thrill of it - like muscle guy with the snake around his neck, or spider-in-each-hand guy. I once saw a photo (video snippet?) of a young gal with a large girthy boa draped around her neck and shoulders. She was on a crowded beach. Just p***ed me off. Looked more like egotistic exhibitionism than responsible pet care.

My corn does go outside in the yard. I think a little sunlight is good for him, and if the neighbours see, well shrug. Still my yard. (He also tends to relieve himself out there, which keeps the enclosure fresh and clean.) Nevertheless, I would not not wear him into town to go get a latte, and would never expose him to what might lurk in a pet store.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (01-13-2017),tttaylorrr (01-13-2017),zina10 (01-13-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    like muscle guy with the snake around his neck, or spider-in-each-hand guy. I once saw a photo (video snippet?) of a young gal with a large girthy boa draped around her neck and shoulders. She was on a crowded beach. Just p***ed me off. Looked more like egotistic exhibitionism than responsible pet care.
    That's exactly what it is, which is the most obnoxious thing, and pisses me off too LOL. And if it isn't, that's the intent the public sees it as, and gives a bad impression of us keepers.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

zina10 (01-13-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's one thing if you're bringing your animal for education or something like that but I don't really bring my snakes to places for several reasons, the primary being I do not want to deal with mites, especially having venomous. I understand that some people don't think like that and that's fine, but if they'd only take a little time to do some research they could easily see that the cons outweigh the pros in most circumstances.

When I come back from anywhere that has reptiles that I may of came in contact with something, especially if I handled one of their snakes, the first thing I do when I get home is I walk straight to the washer and throw my clothes in the washer. I may not see mites on me, but that doesn't mean that eggs aren't hitching a ride, it's the unseen that's the problem. Then I'll grab a shower as well just to be safe. Any supplies I get, especially if it's wood or another they get baked.

When you take your animals out, it stresses them, regardless of whether or not you realize it. The most common thing I see is at the reptile shows people take their snakes with them, which is a terrible idea to me. This is how a lot of people contract mites and have no idea they've done it. People are always asking to hold snakes not to mention you bump into other people who have been dealing with snakes, also people see your snake and want to hold it or pet it. I've been going to reptile shows for a long time and I can't recall a single reptile show that I've been to yet and not seen mites. This last one in December I went to check out a BEL and when the guy was getting him out the enclosure I saw the mites on it before he even attempted to hand me the snake.

Another thing I think people don't think of is bringing something you can place the snake in to let it be if it became stressed. A container, snake bag or pillow case would suffice.

Now, there's a new show in the area called HERPS, and they don't allow outside animals to be brought in, which I think is a great idea so I'll give Shawn Gray props for that, which I already told him.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

zina10 (01-13-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    I do take mine out in the yard during warmer weather for fresh air and periodic exercise. The neighbor kids love it.

I would never take one into a reptile expo or a pet shop just to carry it around, as you don't know what the animals there are harboring. My local exotics shop doesn't permit herps to be brought in by the public for exactly that reason.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

zina10 (01-13-2017)

Thanks

I am a little more adventurous with my 2 boys. We go to the outside fence near the dog park at least once a month in the summer. They enjoy watching the dogs and feeling the grass. I always bring my boyfriend so we can watch carefully for hawks, etc. Sometimes the dogs notice them and come over for a sniff before they leave, and my boys don't react at all, even when the dogs lick them. They have also done 2 separate 3 hour Halloween events with me at Petco. I dressed as a witch, and I had a "snake table" where the kids could come and hold them and collect some candy from the bin. They have also been to the library with me for children sessions. There were even a few senior citizens that wanted some snake time! Of course I do not take them out right after feeding or during shed. They have never bitten me or anyone else. I try to expose them to everything so nothing makes them feel stressed. Sometimes I take them out when I run errands and they enjoy riding in the front of my bra (nice and warm, soft, and secure!) I notice when they look tired or a bit cranky, and then we are done. Mostly, they enjoy being played with and experiencing different environments.
    Exposing our snakes to the public is the only way to dispel the thought that they are inherently dangerous animals. I think that, if properly trained, they can be as docile as the most gentle dog. Mikey even lets me pet his head!
    That being said, they get a bath as soon as we are home to prevent mites.
    Last edited by Merriah; 01-14-2017 at 09:27 PM.

Thanks

I have carefully read the other posts, and I would like to make a few more comments. When I bring my snakes out, they are invited and expected. As far as errands, I've been in my community for so long before I had them, and they know my snakes at the few places I bring them with and they are welcomed. It is NEVER my intention to scare anyone or pretend I'm cool. I just have really nice pets (nicer than many dogs out there) and I feel safe to bring them out. The dog park is the only place where they might not be expected, but it is several acres of grass, and I've never had a problem with the dog owners who notice us. The snake wearing people, and the spider guy... Yeah. Not okay. Also I would like to say that I would be fine bringing my boys back to the store where they were purchased. Twin Cities Reptiles is SUPER clean, not a hint of smell anywhere, and I have never seen a single mite on any animal anywhere in the store. I'm happy to have such a great resource in Minnesota! I even enjoy visiting their huge breeding turtles Phoebe and Booker every time I visit to get food.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I will admit to having let all my snakes out in the garden in nice weather, fortunately the biggest threat to them where I live is my male tortoise he is so randy I've ended up separating him from the two baby tortoises I have. Its great to be able to get mating behaviour footage, just don't want to stress any pet out too much.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I teach HS English, Science Fiction and Fantasy. It worked out that our discussion of archetypes and symbolism hit on Halloween. I discussed it with my students (They are amazed that their 53 year old "granny" English teacher makes such a good Medusa.) and brought in a few of my corns. They are great ambassadors - very friendly and inquisitive. I traded them off during the day, giving them a bin and bag rest occasionally. Then they visited with Animal Club after school. It was a very positive experience all-around.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DLena For This Useful Post:

zina10 (01-16-2017)

Thanks
    I live in a quiet neighborhood with a small park about a block away, so during appropriate weather I will occasionally take Yigg on a "walk" down to the park. He stays on my shoulders pretty much the whole time and I usually wear something with a hood or a drape over my head so he's not totally exposed.

Since I work in an animal shelter, I also bring Yigg into work with me about once a month. I set up a cozy little temporary viv for him with a hide and a heating pad, and take him out periodically over the course of the day for short periods of handling with me or my coworkers. It gives me a chance to get Yigg used to being handled by people other than me, and most of my coworkers really appreciate the chance to interact with him, which is great! I occasionally even get a chance to educate the public about snakes-- although I do have to be careful taking him out around the clients, because we have had a few have bad reactions to his presence.

I used to want to take him to the local herp shows with me, but that was before I realized how easy it would be for him to pick up something nasty like mites. No thanks! We'll stick to occasional work excursions and walks to the park.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123