Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,271

1 members and 3,270 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Where have you taken your snakes?

i get live prey for my picky eaters from a local mom and pop pet shop. i go in there every week after work and every week one of the gals always ask me to bring in a snake. they've seen pix of my snakes and sometimes i see other customers with either a Beardies, Balls, Boas or parrot shopping around. i guess i could bring in a snake and i kinda want to, it would be cool, but i don't want to stress out any snake or expose them to bugs, etc.

so far i haven't brought my snakes anywhere but outside for a few pix (or the one sick snake i received to the vet). i would like to bring them into my sister's kindergarten class that she teaches, but so far she isn't sold on the idea.

anyway - where have you taken your snakes? to the store? to a class? to the park or a festival? i would imagine the public reaction would be mixed. also how did your snake behave in public?
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks

Re: Where have you taken your snakes?

When I was in college, I owned an adult boa constrictor that was kinked all along her spine. I was taking a course on disabled studies - it was very open ended, and the professor was very interested in her students expanding on their own interests. I brought in Kinky (the boa) for a demonstration on "disabled" animals. It brought up some good discussion about the word disabled and what it means for people as well as animals - specifically animals that people don't normally think about being disabled.

She was a great ambassador for her species, in any case, very tame and chill, and a lot of people in that class touched their first snake that day.

In any case, I was sure to check with the professor on any rules or guidelines I needed to follow in bringing an exotic animal onto campus grounds.

I'd love to be able to take some of my animals to my niece's school for showing off, but I think there's some liability stuff nowadays.

Coming from years and years of living in apartments, and around family that does not necessarily share my love of the hobby, I'm always very careful about taking my animals out in public areas. All it takes is one person to freak out, and then you've got some problems. My motto is not to push it... though I LOVE educating the people that want to know.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ladywhipple02 For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (01-09-2017),distaff (01-12-2017),GoingPostal (01-09-2017),Jules623 (01-09-2017),Merriah (01-14-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Where have you taken your snakes?

For me, I don't plan on taking any of mine anywhere except for the Vet when needed. I don't want anyone knowing about them except for family and close friends. I keep hearing that Constrictors are illegal in my city or county even though I can not find the statutes. I won't call anyone because I don't want to raise awareness among the city offices.

But I sure don't judge others for doing so. In fact I think that I would enjoy seeing other snakes in person.

Lizzy
    Last edited by Reinz; 01-09-2017 at 04:56 PM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (01-09-2017),Sonny1318 (01-10-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    i brought my ball to work one day! when i lived in chicago my apt was 5 minutes away from work. a client of ours and i got to chatting one day and she told me she loves snakes/animals and asked if i could bring mine in. i made a make-shift tub and kept him in an empty file cabinet (he wasn't even half a year old yet) and he was only there for an hour or so. she was so happy to see him and she even held him! it was nice to see such a positive reaction, those are few and far between for me.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 01-09-2017 at 05:06 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (01-09-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    When I used to have Boas I took them places before. Weather permitting. I wouldn't do that with any of my BPs though. Too much of a chance they would stress out and maybe stop eating. Maybe when they are older. Would be cool to take them to the girls school for show and tell or something like that.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (01-09-2017)

Thanks
    As cool as it would be I don't bring my snakes anywhere in public. Not for legal reasons but I just don't care for the negative reaction from most people. In fact notany people even know I have snakes. Which is why I enjoy this forum and going to expos because I do enjoy talking about them. I've thought about bringing one into an expo but the last thing I need is an outbreak in mites or RI etc.

Maybe one day the general public will view them different. But I've been seeing a lot of videos of people using snakes to scare people which doesn't help at all. But there are people making a very positive impact and educating those who don't know. So there is hope. My sister was afraid of snakes and now owns a Western hognose and likes to play with my snakes when she comes over. Including our 7' red tail

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShaneSilva For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (01-09-2017),Sonny1318 (01-10-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    I only take my snakes outside on the back patio for sun and outside time in the summer or to the vet if needed. When I took my 7 ft girl into the vet, all the other patients parents were in awe of Rosey lol. They had never seen that big of snake. They all liked her but it seems everyone likes Rosey. She is so mellow. Even the vet and nurses all loved her and wanted to hold her but of course when they held her, she did nothing but try and stretch out to get back on me lol. Once on me, she would check them out but would squeeze my shoulders holding on haha.

I would never take my snakes to a pet shop or anything like that. I'm already OCD about them being in dirty cages. My god, I would have a heart attack with them in a pet shop hoping they didn't catch anything lol.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (01-10-2017),Sonny1318 (01-10-2017)

Thanks

The only times that I ever take my snakes out is when we bring them into my daughter's preschool for a show and tell type of presentation. The teachers love it and I am always so impressed by the thoughtful, intelligent questions that 4-5 year olds have about snakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EmilyandArlo For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (01-10-2017),Merriah (01-14-2017)

Thanks

I take my Guys outside at home and on walks in the Basket , they no the Basket is a safe zone , we walk down to the Park in our little Village and people enjoy looking at them, I don't think I would take them to a pet shop for fear of Bugs and Virus's, In fact after I go in a pet store I strip down
    And Shower and wash the cloths I was wearing. I know to much about fomites..... When life settle down a bit I want to continue Doing a little education on snake's... Maybe Boy Scouts, Girl Scout's stuff like that.

Sent from my P709/P716 using Tapatalk
    Lady Mkrj58

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady mkrj58 For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (01-10-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I sometimes took my corn snake out for a walk and once to a classroom of youngish kids where I worked so I could educate them on animals.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Vipera Berus For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (01-10-2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast