Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,291

3 members and 3,288 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

ovulation question

Hello,

This is my first year of breeding, read up a lot.

But I was wondering about one thing, here is a little back story to the question:

My normal has been locking up with my pewter bee 2 times, I started end of september/early november.
    She is a about 5,5 feet and roughly about 3 kilo atm, she is a proven breeder and said to produce 10+ eggs.
    She shed end of december for the last time. since early december till 4th of january she was seeking the cool side.

The 4th of january I took this picture (she has some stuck shed but shes been really grumpy lol):

Ever since that picture she has mainly been laying like this on the warm side:

And when I took the picture on the 4th of january I did think she was 1 fat little bugger, but did not really think anything else.

Also will they keep on eating up on till ovulation or is that diffrent for all cases ?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Devenco For This Useful Post:

ECechoHO (01-08-2016)

Thanks

Re: ovulation question

At risk of getting your hopes up, I think those are promising signs. My first year breeding, I was struck by how un-gravid my girls looked. I didn't see any obvious bulges, couldn't even feel follicles on the large female I had (before ovulation, which I was lucky to catch). The only signs that tipped me off were their sudden behavior changes - irritability/restlessness, hugging the heat, and right before they laid they had ridge-back (their spines were very pronounced).

When did your girl last eat? I think I see a bit of a swell starting about where her side touches her neck. It's so hard to tell from pictures, but if you can see it in other positions as well, and she's taken on more of a triangle body shape spine to belly, that would likely be eggs.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chkadii For This Useful Post:

Devenco (01-09-2016),ECechoHO (01-08-2016)

Thanks
    She still ate on the 2nd of january, my current thoughts are just building towards ovulation but after looking at the first picture again was not 100% sure and just wanted to have some fresh eyes on the matter.

And indeed it is hard from pictures, probably once I know I have seen it in person and gone through the process with my females, it will become more obvious next year.

My pastel is hanging on to her water bowl like crazy, she last ate 26th of December. She also seems to have no interest in my male any more, so that are also good signs

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chkadii View Post
    At risk of getting your hopes up, I think those are promising signs. My first year breeding, I was struck by how un-gravid my girls looked. I didn't see any obvious bulges, couldn't even feel follicles on the large female I had (before ovulation, which I was lucky to catch). The only signs that tipped me off were their sudden behavior changes - irritability/restlessness, hugging the heat, and right before they laid they had ridge-back (their spines were very pronounced).

When did your girl last eat? I think I see a bit of a swell starting about where her side touches her neck. It's so hard to tell from pictures, but if you can see it in other positions as well, and she's taken on more of a triangle body shape spine to belly, that would likely be eggs.

very NICE post i'll picture my girl and you tell me what y'all think, the starter of this thread and Chkadii...... she looks like mine sir or mad'am so i couldn't tell you..sorry...

Banned
    Thanks

very NICE post i'll picture my girl and you tell me what y'all think, the starter of this thread and Chkadii...... she looks like mine sir or mad'am so i couldn't tell you..sorry...[/URL[/IMG]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Devenco View Post
    She still ate on the 2nd of january, my current thoughts are just building towards ovulation but after looking at the first picture again was not 100% sure and just wanted to have some fresh eyes on the matter.

And indeed it is hard from pictures, probably once I know I have seen it in person and gone through the process with my females, it will become more obvious next year.

My pastel is hanging on to her water bowl like crazy, she last ate 26th of December. She also seems to have no interest in my male any more, so that are also good signs
    Because she's hugging the heat now, I am thinking she's actually post-ovulation. I got a new cell phone recently, so I don't have the picture on it anymore, but if you have the time there's a picture of my female at the tail end of her ovulation that you could use to compare. After the ovy, she looked normal again until just before she laid.

The reason I asked about food was just to make sure the swelling I think I see wasn't a rat. Some BPs do eat throughout the breeding process.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chkadii For This Useful Post:

Devenco (01-09-2016)

Thanks

Because she's hugging the heat now, I am thinking she's actually post-ovulation. I got a new cell phone recently, so I don't have the picture on it anymore, but if you have the time there's a picture of my female at the tail end of her ovulation that you could use to compare. After the ovy, she looked normal again until just before she laid.

The reason I asked about food was just to make sure the swelling I think I see wasn't a rat. Some BPs do eat throughout the breeding process.

Ye she also did not grab the rat today... Beside she always been.... big, but in my eyes she recently just bulked up. Time will tell, probably should be going to a pre-lay shed soon then
    Generally I never see a lump of food if she eats even if it is 2 adult rats so

Also I could not find the image you referred to ?

Also my Pastel was not interested in food again this week, I did spot her twisting herself to her side, to me that looked like she was trying to push something down (that is the best way I could describe it) and then she hugged her water bowl again.

So been testing my home made incubator constantly and even have 2 egg boxes ready in there already that are a nice 31.3-31.8 Celsius and 93% humidity

But time will tell, at least the vibe they give off is hopeful

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Devenco View Post
    Ye she also did not grab the rat today... Beside she always been.... big, but in my eyes she recently just bulked up. Time will tell, probably should be going to a pre-lay shed soon then
    Generally I never see a lump of food if she eats even if it is 2 adult rats so

Also I could not find the image you referred to ?

Also my Pastel was not interested in food again this week, I did spot her twisting herself to her side, to me that looked like she was trying to push something down (that is the best way I could describe it) and then she hugged her water bowl again.

So been testing my home made incubator constantly and even have 2 egg boxes ready in there already that are a nice 31.3-31.8 Celsius and 93% humidity

But time will tell, at least the vibe they give off is hopeful
    That sounds promising! This should link you to my thread for comparison:

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?t=224702

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chkadii For This Useful Post:

Devenco (01-10-2016)

Thanks

That sounds promising! This should link you to my thread for comparison:

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?t=224702

Ahh yes I see !

Definitely curious what will happen though, for now I am keeping my eye on her and still counting it as just building Time will tell

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Devenco For This Useful Post:

Chkadii (01-09-2016)

Thanks
    Well quick update, her eyes are going to go blue ....

So she will shed soon and then let's see at the end of the countdown, like I always say never count your eggs until they are in the baske.... I mean incubator

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Devenco For This Useful Post:

Chkadii (01-28-2016)