Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,290

3 members and 3,287 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

What light spectrum can BPs see

I figure this would be an interesting subject to discuss since this doesn't come up too often and I personally haven't seen anything in regards to this.

I found a study that was done specifically on ball python's vision. It's a PDF file. Check it out:
    http://jeb.biologists.org/cgi/reprin...6vxowj421RqPzw

If you have any other information you'd like to add, please do so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Thanks
    From that article, just from the summary alone we know BP's can see with just their eyes, from Red, all the way to Ultraviolet. In addition to their pits, they can sense Infra-Red as well. I'd say they probably see better than we do.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkspftw View Post
    My ball pythons, so far as I can tell so far, are idiots. Lovable all the same, but not smart. In fact, my main moral dilemma as a BP keeper is the fact that we have to feed animals that are so smart (rats) to ones that are basically as dumb as logs.

I'm working on a Snake Tracker App! If you have any ideas or suggestions on features, feel free to post them in the Development Thread! I'll also be posting updates on the development of this program in this thread!

Thanks

Re: What light spectrum can BPs see

Here's a photo of the summary just for fun

Last edited by Mr. Misha; 01-18-2014 at 07:34 PM.
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Thanks
    umm, its a bit weird.

so they have one very common receptor (rods) with a detection maximum at 494 nm, thats blue, bordering on green.

then they have cones. one kind at 551 nm, thats green. and one more rare kind at 380 nm, thats really surprising. thats ultraviolet, and its pretty much at the border of what humans can see when it comes to ultraviolets.

so their lines are extremely sensitive in blue (close to green), with some green, and a little bit of UV, and its hard UV, at the limit of what humans can see. no red, orange, or yellow. really weird, i guess its tuned for night vision.

when it comes to seeing the world in nice colors, these receptors are really bad choices. but at night it makes sense. when you want to make the most out of the little light you get at night, these receptors make sense. they also make sense when you want to watch the blue sky. and that rare receptor for ultraviolet would certainly be useful when you want to find a basking spot that is rich in ultraviolet.

if i could choose my receptors, i would not choose blue, green and ultraviolet. flowers and fruits look boring, blood looks black. but for a nocturnal reptile it somehow makes sense.
    The Big Bang almost certainly (beyond reasonable doubt) happened 13.7 billion years ago. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Evolution is a fact, evolutionary theory explains why it happens and provides four different lines of evidence that coalesce to show that evolution is a fact. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    One third of the global economy relies on technology that is based on quantum mechanics, especially quantum electrodynamics (electron-photon or electron-electron interactions). If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Time Dilation is real, it is so real that all clocks if they are precise enough can measure it, and GPS could not possibly work without it.
    If you disagree, send me a PM.

The 4 philosophically most important aspects of modern science are: Evolutionary theory, Cosmology, Quantum mechanics, and Einsteins theory of general relativity. Understand these to get a grip of reality.

my favorite music video is online again, its really nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABEGc8Dus0

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pythonfriend For This Useful Post:

Archimedes (01-18-2014),KryptBaby (01-19-2014),NH93 (01-19-2014),Yaaeee (01-19-2014)

Thanks

Since our BPs use both photoreceptors and thermoreceptors to hunt as well as find prey and obviously see better at night, I wonder if pickier eaters would have a better feeding response with little to no light.

I think someone should do a feeding experiment for two months and share their results. Obviously, there's a lot of other factors that would effect feedings but it could still be interesting.

1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Misha For This Useful Post:

KryptBaby (01-19-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

The Serpent Merchant has done light-behavior studies with his snakes. He altered different kinds and colored bulbs over time.

I always turn off the lights when my snakes feed. They do tend to feed better than with the lights on, which is why I do so.

People have also observed that a pickier BP is more willing to eat at night than during the day as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by satomi325; 01-19-2014 at 02:49 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

Mr. Misha (01-19-2014)

Thanks
    oh, and, if you want a night light....

the study makes it quite clear that they are virtually blind to red or orange, and most likely they cannot even see yellow. so unless the red also contains thermal radiation / infrared, like when its a red LED that does not get warm, they should not be able to see it.
    The Big Bang almost certainly (beyond reasonable doubt) happened 13.7 billion years ago. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Evolution is a fact, evolutionary theory explains why it happens and provides four different lines of evidence that coalesce to show that evolution is a fact. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    One third of the global economy relies on technology that is based on quantum mechanics, especially quantum electrodynamics (electron-photon or electron-electron interactions). If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Time Dilation is real, it is so real that all clocks if they are precise enough can measure it, and GPS could not possibly work without it.
    If you disagree, send me a PM.

The 4 philosophically most important aspects of modern science are: Evolutionary theory, Cosmology, Quantum mechanics, and Einsteins theory of general relativity. Understand these to get a grip of reality.

my favorite music video is online again, its really nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABEGc8Dus0

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pythonfriend For This Useful Post:

NH93 (01-19-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know this is irrelevant as it's to deers but I was watching some show that explained that deers are blind in human terms. They can hear very well and smell very well. When a deer perks it's head up, it slaps it's foot on the ground to see if anything jumps and also it's to get the other deers attention in the area as it's showing them that there is something it doesn't like in the area. Then once the white tail goes up, it's the sign to head out. I don't hunt so I found this to be pretty neat.

Also you know that a buck makes a doe cross the road first? I did not know this either until my dad told me yesterday.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks

What a awesome pdf

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
    Ball Pythons: 0.1 Piebald, 1.0 Barnhart Line Pewter, 1.0 Pastel, 1.0 Pastel ???,
    0.1 Butter Pastel Het Orange Ghost, 1.0 Pastel Het Orange Ghost, 0.1 Normal

Reticulated Python: 1.0 Tiger het albino

Kingsnake: 0.1 Albino Vertical Stripe

Boas: 0.1 Motley Nicaraguan Boa, 1.0 Colombian Boa