Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,225

0 members and 2,225 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,289
Threads: 248,674
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, SophiaOG
    Thanks

Thumbs down My BP keeps peeing when I handle her?

I got a new young ball python a little while ago, and after giving her time to settle in to her new cage I've been trying to handle her a little bit every day to get her used to me. When I picked her up yesterday I noticed it looked like she might be ready to poop (I've heard some people refer to it at "sausage butt"?), she just looked chunky near her end. I took the precaution to put down a towel in my lap and sure enough a few minutes later she peed on the towel and dropped a chunk of urates. I immediately put her back since I didn't want to get any on my hands and cleaned up. Today I figured I'd take her out again for a little while, and I checked to see if she looked chunky, and she didn't, so I picked her up. I still put down a towel just to be safe (I do it when I pick up my guinea pigs too), and good thinking on my part because she peed on me again today! There is nothing in her tank, she only seems to be going to the bathroom on me. It's as if she knows I'll put her back if she pees...

Anyway my question is really just why does she only pee on me? I kind of thought it might just be that the movement gets her body functions working, since when she's in the tank she doesn't seem to do much. But since I'm new to this I thought I'd ask you guys! We does she keep peeing when I handle her?

Thanks
    Hm. Maybe it's just cause her guts are moving a bunch. Has she eaten yet? You should wait for her to eat at least two meals before you start handling her regularly.
    Chloe
    0.1 Het Hypo- Indy
    The cup is useful because of it's emptiness

Thanks

Re: My BP keeps peeing when I handle her?

Quote Originally Posted by Capray View Post
    Hm. Maybe it's just cause her guts are moving a bunch. Has she eaten yet? You should wait for her to eat at least two meals before you start handling her regularly.

She did eat once, without any problems on sunday, should I wait until after she eats again to start handling her?

Thanks

My BP keeps peeing when I handle her?

Also I want to add. Snakes never really get used to you. It's more you get used to them and they tolerate you. You gotta keep in mind, they are not domesticated. They are still as wild as it comes. Most balls are very docile and will never strike. But all can. Just keep that in mind.

I also am on the same side of the fece as to leaving it alone for a few weeks. You may be doing more harm than good by handling it everyday. Maybe it doesn't want to be handled that often and you're stressing it out more.

My suggestion would be to leave it alone for 2 weeks apart from feeding and general maintenance. Then try handling for half hour or so every few days, working up to more and more as time goes by.

You don't want to end up with a dude like this:
    http://youtu.be/c7LMBjkqFco
    That is my calico. Grumpy dude. Of I handle him lots he doesn't eat. So I leave him alone. But I try to handle him every few days or so for a bit. I don't really want a 2000g snake that's this mad.
    Last edited by interloc; 02-21-2013 at 11:47 PM.

Thanks
    Sometimes it's all the movement other times it could be they are stressed, and sometimes it's just their time to pee I have kingsnakes at work do this often and I just assume bad timing and his stress level we leave him alone unless it's feeding time or he is being moved. Just keep the towels coming and it should calm down after a while
    0.1 Normal- Perritas
    0.1 Cinny- Sura
    1.0 Normal- Draco
    1.0 AFT- Grimm
    1.0 Service Dog- Kelevra
    1.0.1 Blood Python- Sixx